Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Selling Mix CD's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I want to start this thread by asking for some advise.

I have created a couple of mix sessions on Cd. I'm currently selling them through a local record shop and they are selling pretty good. Not enough to buy a house but just enough to put gas in the car, take the wife out to dinner and buy more records.

My question is I want to create my own website to sell my mix CD's, would there be any legal issues?

Also I would like to offer other DJ's to sell their CD's on my site as well.

Looking to do this within 6 months and I don't want to get into any problems down the road.

Please post, I would like to hear from all sides on this issue.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 03 @ 6:05 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You will have to pay for the rights to every tune used on the cd's otherwise your in big trouble

Posted Thu 12 Jun 03 @ 2:13 pm
Thanks for the info.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 03 @ 4:40 pm
You can go ahead and do it anyway but the problem is if they start selling big or if someone hears it who shouldnt.

This is why the last soulwax too many dj's album got removed from stores. They failed to clear one track but went ahead anyway. Also Kid 606 does the same, he doesnt bother with any copyrights. It all depends whether you have the money to fight the coporates.

If you try and get the rights to some of the songs some arent to difficult but main stream artists wont give you anything, eg Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Michael Jackson, Kylie, Beastie Boys etc.. etc...

Also if you dont own a record label or have a record label affiliated to you then people just wont take you seriously.

I tried myself, I had an amazing 51 track eclectic mix including nearly every genre of music. Since the mix was so varied and I had cut songs up so ast to bootleg some of them this made obtaining the rights even more difficult. Even Discobar Galaxie had this problem and they have Sony as their label!

Sorry to be such a downer on your idea. Id love for us to be able to sell mix cds.

If anyone knows of another way please let me know. Alos how many did you sell on ebay?

Posted Thu 12 Jun 03 @ 6:03 pm
Just a quick one, where abouts are you from?

Posted Thu 12 Jun 03 @ 6:04 pm
I'm in NJ. Thanks for the advice jukesy. I haven't sold any mix Cd's on ebay. Probably because I never tried. I just had a good idea to sell mix cd's and get other DJ's to sell on a website as well. Like Amazon with their used books.

The local record shop that carries my Mix cd's sell them for $10 and they keep half. So If I'm lucky to sell 10 a month (and that's pushing it) I would only make $50 bucks.

Like I said, not enough to buy a house but just enough to put gas in my car.

I'm a graphic designer and web developer by trade and been an oldskool dj since late 80' early 90's. House music is my specialty.

Gave it up for a while untill I discoverd AtomixMP3. So I dusted off the old turntables and gave it a whirl. Felt good to be back in the game. I'm waiting for Virtual DJ to come out so I can see what's it all about. I do plan on purchasing it. I just want to be there when it pops off.

I have been thinking on making more mix cd's and sell them at flea markets and such. At least I can keep all of the money instead of making half with the record store.

Unfortunatly, I don't want to tango with littigations when it comes to a record exec who has a bug up their ass if they get a hold of my cd or get word that I sold thru the net. Don't need the headache.

But I so do see a profit to be made by it. Oh well, it was a good idea.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 03 @ 7:17 pm
No you don't need the rights... as long as you stream them and not have them available for download and don't charge anyone for streams...

and don't say you have them copyrighted other than that you could pull it off without getting sued

Posted Fri 13 Jun 03 @ 2:20 am
Well there are ways and there are programs out there to help you to extract streams online. That's not the point. I was interested more in selling mix cd's and help other DJ's sell their cd's well.

As far as streaming goes, yes I can do that but it will cost me more money to do it that way. It will tax the server I'm on and my provider will charge me more for the space as well as bandwith constintly being pulled by streaming.

I could be wrong. Anybody want to shed some light as far as bandwidth and streaming goes?

Posted Fri 13 Jun 03 @ 2:52 pm
hey dj grove...your story about doing work in the 70s and 80s then stopping and getting back into it sounds like mine......lol......anyways.......my wife is a graphic designer too,but thats not the point i`m trying to make. your idea about the flea market is right on....maybe all of us here at Atomixmp3 could form a trade group, mix and burn our C.Ds. and then trade 5 or so with all the others in the group...if you get 50 D.Js in this group thats a mixture of 250 C.Ds we could have at a flea market and i bet we would have LOTS of customers. we could incorporate it so that the corporation gets sued and not us..........lol....call it the underground mix co.between you and my wife i`m sure we could come up with a logo and sign to hang up at the flea market.e-mail me and let me know what you think
----
by the way.........i can see this idea of yours turning into a VERY profitable venture for ALL those involved.
robert aka raw bear
p.s....i`m in ontario canada near kitchener

Posted Sun 15 Jun 03 @ 2:34 pm
Hey Raw Bear. Thanks for the support. I'm working on it. The problem is if it gets successfull then we will get in trouble. And yes we can do a dummy corp. While it is a good start. Eventualy we will get shut down and have to start ove again.

That is sonething I don't want to go thru. Although I'm working on some type of solutional loophole, Please feel free to private message me.

Can you do a private message in this forum. Idunno. :)

Posted Mon 16 Jun 03 @ 1:17 am
well dj groove ( not grove lol ) i see that they don`t alow you to post your e-mail here........oh well.....i guess the only way we can exchange e-mails is to agree to be on here at the same time....i would LOVE to work on some type of exchange program with the other disc jockeys here...maybe they/we should be called media players but then that sounds like a windows program.....lol.....anyways....always glad to exchange ideas here
robert aka raw-bear

Posted Mon 16 Jun 03 @ 6:21 am
Hey Raw-Bear. I see that they took down your email address you posted. Don't worry I have copied your email to a clipboard. I'll send you email when I get the chance.

Posted Mon 16 Jun 03 @ 3:30 pm
MalsaleHome userMember since 2003
Hey guys, I hate to gets your hopes down, but If the corporation gets sued, the members of the board of director can be liable too. I don't know anyone who would take that risk to be a member of the board, unless the corporation move from one jurisdiction to another and you do like in the movie...catch me if you can!.

Posted Tue 17 Jun 03 @ 3:07 am
ok there dj groove........e-mail me when you can...and djnoma1....jsut so you know......i said what i said jokingly...however i do plan to approach some labels and see what can be done...but first we need to get some D.Js on board with a commitment....want to commit?.........lol

Posted Tue 17 Jun 03 @ 7:56 am
Hey djnoma1, I'm not planning to do anything illegal. So my origional post on selling mix cd's online will never come to light unless I get the propper permission from the parties that be. As far as Raw-Bear, I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say. It's not the direction I was thinking on pursuing but if it's feasable, do-able and leagal, I say "Why not."

Posted Tue 17 Jun 03 @ 3:07 pm
Now I understand u said u sold some mixes. They must be great, but i justed wanted 2 know if u had any links 2 ur mixes so every1 can hear how u are, im not saying im better than you, but i just would like 2 listen 2 a sample of ur work.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 03 @ 12:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)