Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: ID3 v2 tag support

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello, am I mistaken in my perception that AtomixMP3 does not support ID3 tags? What??? That seems incredible to me. What possible reason could there be for *not* supporting this feature?

Aaron Ross
aaron@dr-yo.com

Posted Tue 08 Jan 02 @ 4:56 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't know why it doesn't. But I love the fact that it properly displays the tracks exactly as they are named. "Artist - Title"

Posted Tue 08 Jan 02 @ 1:40 pm
Me too ...
Greetz, Dj T-Bone

Posted Tue 08 Jan 02 @ 2:00 pm
if there will be support for id3, there must be option to disable it..
maybe a optional lyricstag support?

Posted Tue 08 Jan 02 @ 3:59 pm
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
The problem with ID3 tags is that the majority of MP3's out there are improperly tagged. I've gone through my entire collection and tagged them all with ID3v1 tags, but there's no automated ID3v2 tool (to my knowledge) like TagMaster...

(www.analogx.com)

It's simplert, from my point of view, to simply ensure that the filenames are all correct and deal with them that way.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 02 @ 6:43 pm
There are lots of reasons why ID3 tags are better. One is filename length limitations. Have you ever tried to back up your MP3 library to CD-R and gotten an error message because the path/filename is too long? With ID3 tags you can keep your filenames short, yet still retain all of the artist/title/album info.

If you have improperly tagged files, it's probably because they are downloaded from a filesharing service! What do expect for nothing?

Anyway, the filename interpretation in AtomixMP3 has problems. It doesn't know to drop the track number, it confuses album name with song title. In general, it's a lot harder for a human to read filenames, especially when they have been put through a flawed interpretation algorithm.

There is a reason ID3 tags were invented. 99% of all MP3 software supports at least ID3 v1; I'm still amazed that AtomixMP3 does not.

Aaron Ross
aaron@dr-yo.com

Posted Wed 09 Jan 02 @ 6:14 am
like said earlier on this forum, cdrwin and nero can store 128 char long filenames, i haven't yet had any name that would been longer than that.. id3v1 tags only allow 30 chars long album/artist .. very sucky cause 'artist alpha feat artist beta (dj blah blah mix)' etc many times takes more space than 30 chars. On the other hand id3v2 tags aren't popular due to the nature they are technically implemented, it's rather difficult and updating mp3's to id3v2 which doesn't already have the header, is pretty slow too (the beginning of the song must be increased in length).. lyricstag doesn't have these problem and is there for the most popular tagging without the 30char limit. I don't use it cause i can burn 128 chars long filenames.

Posted Wed 09 Jan 02 @ 2:30 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there. Other mixing softwares use id3 tags, and I tried them. They were MUCH more confused about the artist and title that Atomix has ever been. I have over 16,000 songs. As I have been encoding them since last march, I have always taken great care to name them artist - title. I usually don't use words such as featuring, but just put in both artists name, the one before the word featuring first. Atomix has not once ever shown up an artists name in the title collumn, of a properly named file. All you have to do is make sure that there are no other hyphens ( - ) prior to the songs title. It's absolutely worth the effort of renaming your songs to this format. Atomix will never get it wrong. If you want to keep albumn tracks in order, use the track number after the hyphen seperating the atrist from the title.
Plus the way the search engine works, finding a song by any artist, or title is very fast, and quite simple.

Posted Wed 09 Jan 02 @ 3:08 pm
My experience is that ID3v2 works great with Winamp, and Winamp also has a search engine which is very fast and effective.

The problem with path/filename length is often the result of a deep path with nested directories. I keep my library organized by genre, artist, album, song... and this whole path very frequently results in a string of more than 128 characters. (The 128 char. limit is imposed by the Joliet file system, not the CD burning application.)

I do name nearly all of my files "Artist - Track# - Title", but a few of them have album titles as well, and this confuses Atomix MP3. I'm sorry, but that is just not very smart. I can't take Atomix very seriously unless it is able to read ID3 tags.

Aaron Ross
aaron@dr-yo.com

Posted Fri 11 Jan 02 @ 9:35 pm
16 000 song very good!
But how do you handle the problem with artist name like "Wu-tang" and the title "Cream" .
I think ID3 tag would be a great idea like in BPM studio 4

Posted Fri 08 Feb 02 @ 1:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)