Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: PHASE HID - Support in VirtualDJ - Page: 4
Question/clarification

I noticed that if you have phase plugged it (with the remotes in the receiver), and you try to use timecode vinyl for DVS, the timecode doesn't work unless you unplug the phase receiver or ignore the phase controller in the Controllers tab (and the ignore setting is remembered across restarts). I know it was mentioned earlier that returning a remote to a deck frees the deck for regular manipulation, so I was wondering if this behaviour I've noticed is expected or if the DVS signal should still allow for manipulation in this case.

Posted Tue 28 Nov 23 @ 5:23 pm
FunkenPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Wow.. Just tested this now with the new v8 update and VDJ Beta.
This works flawlessly, this changes everything for me now 😁

Great work everyone!!

Thomas

Posted Tue 28 Nov 23 @ 9:21 pm
Help! Neither the Phase Manager or the Phase website has the new v2.4 software /version 8 firmware and my VirtualDJ has already updated and now I can't use Phase at all. Did Phase remove the new v2.4 software/version 8 firmware? Glad I still have my needles and timecode vinyl!

Posted Fri 01 Dec 23 @ 1:22 am
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
Question/clarification

I noticed that if you have phase plugged it (with the remotes in the receiver), and you try to use timecode vinyl for DVS, the timecode doesn't work unless you unplug the phase receiver or ignore the phase controller in the Controllers tab (and the ignore setting is remembered across restarts). I know it was mentioned earlier that returning a remote to a deck frees the deck for regular manipulation, so I was wondering if this behaviour I've noticed is expected or if the DVS signal should still allow for manipulation in this case.

Thank you for mentioning this. The Phase website seems to have taken down version 2.4 of Phase Manager/Version 8 of the firmware and put back version 2.3. Now I can't use PHASE at all and I needed to switch back to timecode vinyl/DVS. I unplugged the usb cable to PHASE to make sure Timecode Vinyl worked.

Posted Fri 01 Dec 23 @ 1:25 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Indeed it appears that Phase Manager 2.4 (and ability to update to firmware 8) was taken back from their website. Probably some bug that will be fixed soon and we ll try to find out more.

In the meantime, you can still use the Phase with DVS as before. If you want bypass the HID mapping in VDJ, you can set the device to "Ignore" from the CONTROLLER tab of VirtualDJ Settings.

Posted Fri 01 Dec 23 @ 12:15 pm
It seems that as of b7831, the clone from deck operation with Phase in HID mode also clones the tempo slider value instead of using the actual value that the tempo would be given the speed of the turntable.
I think this is different from what happened with b7827 (which respected the real turntable speed value). Why was this changed?
With DVS this also happens, but at least there is the timecode_reset_pitch to reset the tempo to the speed of the turntable.if required (all of my battle mixer mappings are customized to do this, to match the behaviour in competitor software). Currently, Phase HID doesn't have that option, and it seems we are stuck with manipulating the tempo in this new skewed range.
If the new behaviour of phase HID is going to be kept as the default, can we have an option to have clone from deck respect the turntable speed always? If not can an explanation for the change be given?

Posted Sun 03 Dec 23 @ 3:47 am
So I just wanted to check in about the situation/question above so that I can adjust my expectations/way of play accordingly.
Am I imagining/misinterpreting the behaviour change? Is there a way to get the timecode reset pitch behaviour for Phase HID mode or no?

Posted Sun 03 Dec 23 @ 10:43 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Doesn't regular pitch_reset do what you want?

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 5:17 am
@Adion so reset_pitch unfortunately only resets the tempo to 0%, after that it does not then use the turntable speed to set what the tempo should now be.
The timecode_reset_pitch option does both (so at the end of its execution, what you read on the turntable is roughly what the tempo is in the software).

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 5:54 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Understood, will make timecode_reset_pitch work for phase HID as well

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 6:33 pm
Thanks very much for providing that.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 4:41 am
Ok so I guess 2.4 is gone but I can get SDJ and Rekordbox to work with DVS mode but this is all I get with VDJ

What am I missing here??

Posted Thu 14 Dec 23 @ 1:01 pm
From b7831, you may have to ignore Phase in the list of controllers since by default, VirtualDJ now expects to use it in HID mode (see the manual).

Other than that, the phase signal should be autodetected, and given you've set it up to transmit Serato or VirtualDJ timecode and you mixer is set to Line-In, it should work.

Posted Thu 14 Dec 23 @ 1:30 pm
I’ll try it again tonight but I sat there for an hour last night and nothing I did would get VDJ to detect the signal.

I’ve always had a struggle with VDJ and Phase tho 🤦🏾‍♂️

Posted Thu 14 Dec 23 @ 1:43 pm
I've honestly had the opposite experience given it was setup correctly (it's always detected and I've had smooth usage all around), however the switch to HID first and Phase DJ's mysterious decision has left VirtualDJ usage with Phase in an odd space right now (I wouldn't be surprised if they day they "re-release" the updates, other major software players that currently don't support HID usage also report their support for HID too soon after).

If the suggestions in the manual do not work I guess you can just check back here for updates.

Posted Thu 14 Dec 23 @ 2:00 pm
I swear Im about to sell this crap and just stick to needles or my RANE 12s

Now this is all Im getting no matter if I use the VDJ or Serato timecode.

Like I said everything works with SDJ or Rekordbox so I know its VDJ not working and its probably something dumb......

Posted Fri 15 Dec 23 @ 12:06 am
So it seems that with the new version (b7831), the Phase timecode selection isn't automatically detected anymore. Given you've set everything up correctly and ignored Phase as a controller in the Controllers tab, you have to manually set it to Phase as the timecode option from the list:

Posted Fri 15 Dec 23 @ 1:12 am
You sir have saved Phase from my smashing it to pieces 😝 I knew it was something dumb!!

After MANUALLY setting it Phase everything is spot on again. No to test switching between dis which is where it always gives me problems but that's for another thread.

Posted Fri 15 Dec 23 @ 3:10 am
Glad to hear it was resolved. @Devs Maybe VirtualDJ should always set the timecode type to Phase given Phase is connected, like it did before b7831? I guess there's still the question of which one to choose to obey (HID or DVS) in the case both are setup correctly and the RCAs are connected?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 23 @ 3:49 am
docb-djPRO InfinityMember since 2019
I'm running the latest firmware (8.0) and using phase manager 2.4.2 on windows.

How do I get VDJ to for the Phase HID interface to be table 3 and 4? I'm using it in conjunction with a denon prime 4. If the phase is set to "automatic" in the deck mapping, then vdj gives the phase tables 1 and 2. I want phase to be 3 and 4. If I set 3 and 4 in the mapping nothing happens.

I'm sure it's something I'm doing but I can't figure it out.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 23 @ 8:53 pm
56%