Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DDJ-REV5 - Discussion
The new DDJ-REV5 looks interesting, and looking at the videos on it, it looks like VDJ is almost ready to be mapped for it and support it, without the need for adding a lot of new features to the software

The new bits on the rev5 seems to be
- New way of stems handling. That should be covered in the VDJ stems features
- Performance buttons handling multiple pad modes at the same time. That is basically the same as what the rev7 can do, just with other modes, so that should be covered in VDJ
- Piano Play. I think that can be done simply by adding a clever pad page in VDJ, that is then used on both decks
- Dual deck mode. That has recently been added to VDJ, so I think that is covered too
- Auto BPM Transition. That seems to be a more advanced and automated version of the Smart fader feature on the Pioneer DJ DDJ-FLX4. So some additional options to smart fader will probably need to be added for VDJ to support that

Just my 2 cents after going through the first videos released on the rev5 this morning :)

Posted Mon 07 Aug 23 @ 8:01 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 4:58 am[ selected best answer by locoDog on Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 4:59 am ]
Not a fan of the design, it looks pretty awful. small play/cue buttons and tiny faders. Oh and the price ........

Looks more like a toy than a serious bit of kit.

Posted Mon 07 Aug 23 @ 8:49 am
Having just watched the Mojaxx review, I quite like the idea of the Auto BPM Transition - although I think it should just be called Auto Transition as it's not just about the BPM.

Personally I'd never try to mix between two tracks that had vastly different BPM, so can't see me using that part......but being able to select what you want to happen over the course of X bars (stems, loop etc) then having it happen at the press of a button is pretty convenient.

I'm sure the VDJ script gurus can come up with a pad page :-)

Posted Mon 07 Aug 23 @ 7:26 pm
link me a video with a time. I look what they've done.

Posted Mon 07 Aug 23 @ 7:38 pm

Posted Mon 07 Aug 23 @ 7:53 pm
Thanks, nothing that hard there really, I thought the stems would be a fade, but it's just a switch.

for smooth smooth [30ms rsi] the maths is something but nothing crazy because position is the thing to scale against not time, if you went 1/8th rsi steps it would be even easier.

They're getting there but still not doing what I'm doing with loopCount [fx sweeps to loop duration, as well as loop counting], they'll get there eventually [over too many years].

Question is with it being made for serato, is the device sending one midi signal and the SW is doing the thing, or have they made it the stupid way were the device sends all the midi?

former would be a surprise, if the latter that would be exploitable in weird ways for vdj.

Posted Mon 07 Aug 23 @ 8:45 pm
I actually find it funny how Serato users used to have a main complaint about VirtualDJ automating too many things and making the task of the DJ too easy, and Serato/Pioneer come along a few years later and starts integrating such features into hardware and there isn't a complaint then.

Posted Mon 07 Aug 23 @ 9:33 pm
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
@kradcliffe - I'm not a fan either. I watched the Mojaxx review today and there's nothing really revolutionary there, even though Pioneer claims there is. I wish that they would not continue to pump the market with all these controllers as it causes customer confusion. Especially when they claim it is a 4-deck controller (ok technically maybe), but there are only two channel faders.

My DDJ-1000 was just over 1K when I bought it a few years ago and I think that provides more value than this controller does.

Posted Tue 08 Aug 23 @ 1:55 am
For what I saw, many function we already have on VDJ, and others are scripted by users.
For example I've been using auto transition when Dj'ing with Time Code Vinyls, since my SL1200 only have 8% pitch range.

This is my script for the type of auto transition I use, only when playing with TCV.

Right Arrow
doubleclick ? deck right sync & pitch_lock & pitch_reset 4% : deck right sync

Left Arrow
doubleclick ? deck left sync & pitch_lock & pitch_reset 4% : deck left sync

click once and it will sync, click twice it will sync, pitch lock and auto reset the pitch; hence auto transition. I use this to transition from 90BPM to 128BPM and viseversa. When using controller,s I transition manually.

One thing I saw so far that VDJ doesn't have is the piano function... which has no use for me, but is a cool idea.

Posted Tue 08 Aug 23 @ 5:21 pm
For what I saw, many function we already have on VDJ, and others are scripted by users.
For example I've been using auto transition when Dj'ing with Time Code Vinyls, since my SL1200 only have 8% pitch range.

This is my script for the type of auto transition I use, only when playing with TCV.

Right Arrow
doubleclick ? deck right sync & pitch_lock & pitch_reset 4% : deck right sync

Left Arrow
doubleclick ? deck left sync & pitch_lock & pitch_reset 4% : deck left sync

click once and it will sync, click twice it will sync, pitch lock and auto reset the pitch; hence auto transition. I use this to transition from 90BPM to 128BPM and viseversa. When using controller,s I transition manually.

One thing I saw so far that VDJ doesn't have is the piano function... which has no use for me, but is a cool idea.

Posted Tue 08 Aug 23 @ 5:22 pm

Selected as best answer Posted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 4:58 am
Back when I was on turntables I used to have the pitch faders oriented this way for "battle style" but since there's no tonearm to avoid on controllers I'm a bit confused as to why the pitch faders are at the top on these and all the pads in the center... Ugh, I'm not a big fan of this layout.

That said, I'm glad to see controllers coming out with stem controls but the fact that everybody is using buttons instead of knobs really drives me crazy. Turning stems on and off with buttons is abrupt and jarring. They sound much better when smoothly faded out using a knob, even if you do so quickly. Even on a controller with stem buttons I'd still be re-mapping my EQ knobs to various groups of stems, just my personal preference. </OldManYellsAtCloud>

Posted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 5:40 am
christianwheel wrote :
Back when I was on turntables I used to have the pitch faders oriented this way for "battle style" but since there's no tonearm to avoid on controllers I'm a bit confused as to why the pitch faders are at the top on these and all the pads in the center... Ugh, I'm not a big fan of this layout.

Muscle memory for those that use turntables on the regular I'd assume. Or for those that want to make the jump to turntables....
As for the mixer, most battle mixers are setup this way anymore. Again makes it easier to make the transition from turntables or vice versa.......

I'm not a Pioneer fan but I'd like to give it a try, I doubt I'll spend money on anything new but it's always good to get familiar with whats out there just in case it ends up where your playing.

Posted Tue 15 Aug 23 @ 2:04 pm
action_deck 1 ? set sa `get_beatpos` & set sb `param_add 'get_beatpos' 8` & set sbpm `get_bpm` & set tbpm `deck 2 get_bpm` & 
repeat_start_instant name 25ms 1000000 &
set cpos `param_add "get_var sa & param_invert" "get_beatpos"` &
set cend `param_add "get_var sa & param_invert" "get_var sb"` &
set t `param_multiply "get_var cpos" "get_var cend & param_1_x"` &
set i `param_add "get_var sbpm & param_invert" "get_var tbpm"` &
set i `param_multiply 'get_var t' 'get_var i'` &
set i `param_add 'get_var sbpm' 'get_var i'` &
get_var i & param_cast 'beats' & pitch &
& var_greater t 1 ? repeat_stop name & deck 1 get_var tbpm & param_cast 'beats' & pitch

That in principle is the pitch change over beats, it could be cleaned up some and it needs a different way of beat counting if it is to deal with loops, I might have a go at that later.

Posted Sun 20 Aug 23 @ 12:42 pm
Any news when the Rev 5 will be supported? Are there any plans?

Posted Thu 18 Jan 24 @ 3:03 pm

Posted Thu 18 Jan 24 @ 3:08 pm