Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: "Ask The DJ"
Hi all,

Just a few questions about how this works.

1) Persistence. How long do the entries remain in the "Ask The DJ" crate? I noticed that when I went back the next day to revisit them, they were gone without me clearing anything.

2) Backup/Export. Is there a way to export all the data out of an "Ask The DJ" session? I'd like to save everything to a text file or xml file so I can review it later, and share requests with the venue as we develop music strategy.

3) Self-hosting. I currently have a hacky workaround to have my own request form on my website that uses AJAX to push the entries to virtualdj.com. Is there a way to self-host my own "Ask The DJ" feature that can be entirely reliant on my infrastructure? I used to run a proprietary request page that I built myself, but the convenience of having everything appear within VDJ is just too good. I'd like to find a way to still make requests appear within the software with searchability after collecting them myself.

Thanks!

Posted Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 12:26 am

Posted Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 1:13 am
Thanks for the reply. I've tried dragging them to a playlist and it doesn't work, they just don't show up. Dragging them to a virtual folder works but I lose the name of the person who made the request and the date/time the request came in (those fields are not selectable for display).

Posted Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 1:23 am
Check,
I believe the From field becomes User1
and the
When become First Seen field
when added/dragged to the Virtual folder which may be named REQUESTS
or REQUEST LOG or XYZ NIGHTCLUB REQUESTS

Posted Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 2:19 am
Thank you, that works!

One last question - If my laptop doesn't have internet, is there a way to check the requests via the web on my phone?

Posted Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 6:15 am
christianwheel wrote :
Thank you, that works!

One last question - If my laptop doesn't have internet, is there a way to check the requests via the web on my phone?

If your phone has working internet but your laptop doesn't, you can use your phone as a mobile internet hotspot to provide an internet connection to your laptop.

Posted Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 11:49 am
Sorry to revive this thread, but I thought this was working and now it seems it isn't.

I made a virtual folder called "Saved Requests" and then made a new virtual folder inside of that with the date (in this case 04-28-23). Before I shut my laptop down for the night I dragged all the requests for "Ask The DJ" in there and it seemed to work fine.

But now when I open the folder, this is what I see:

Are these requests recoverable? How can I save them going forward? Because this is not working.

Posted Thu 04 May 23 @ 6:08 pm
Bump because this is an ongoing problem. Once again, last night I saved my requests to a smart folder. They work fine during the 6-hour window that they are stored on the server, but when I went to review them this morning they look as they do in the screenshot above. This is within the smart folder I dragged them to, not inside the "ask the dj" folder.

I should also mention the timestamp that they show is always the current time.

Dragging them to a playlist as cited in the documentation just doesn't work at all. Nothing shows up in the playlist.

Any ideas? I took pictures of them with my phone last night before I went to bed, but that's not a very convenient way to review them.

Posted Sat 06 May 23 @ 2:48 pm