Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Rane Four VDJ Support - Page: 6
serieBPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Hi all. I've been waiting for a paid FLX10 since summer, and I'm fed up with Pioneer constantly changing the delivery dates. So, I'm considering switching my order to a Rane Four, which is always in stock.
Is this a good move?
Are Rane users around here happy with it when using it with Virtual DJ?
Is the integration with our beloved software "perfect"?
I'm steering clear of Serato and any other DJ software that isn't Virtual DJ, so I'm particularly interested in hearing your impressions on how they work together.
Are there ongoing corrections or was there an initial mapping, and no further work is being done?
I know things with Pioneer are easy, where, due to the large user base, Virtual is continually working on issues and improving with each early access but is it the same with the Rane Four?
Let me know what you think.
Cheers

Posted Tue 14 Nov 23 @ 3:38 pm
Rane Four works "perfect" with VirtualDJ.

I have personally used it in 6 live gigs this summer without any issues at all.

The only advise I have for Rane Four users, is to set zerodb setting at -6 or even -9db.
Generally it's a very good controller, but it doesn't like redlining. If you hit red on the VU you're gonna hear it! :)

PS: Yes, it's loud enough and you don't need to push it on the reds

Posted Tue 14 Nov 23 @ 4:11 pm
Thank you Phantom, good advise! ;-)
I know each one has strong and weak points but, do you personally prefer the Rane over the FLX10 if you would need to choose only one of them? Truly inclined on the Rane just now, but I'm afraid to take a wrong decision just for impatience.

Posted Tue 14 Nov 23 @ 4:55 pm
I cannot tell.
I have not used the FLX10.

I can tell though, that Rane Four was the first controller that made me think to replace my own personal favorite controller for gigs, DDJ-RZ.

The main differencies I can see between Four and FLX10 are:
Four has a hardware mixer, while FLX10 has a software one.
Four has some nice built in hardware effects and you can switch (on the fly) to software effects as well. FLX10 only offers software effects
In Four you can't have automatic headphones switching (because of the hardware mixer) but on FLX10 you can
The pads display on Four is far supperior to that of FLX10 as the display is always there. In FLX10 you need to manually bring it up for a few moments
The pads on Four are very nice, but FLX10 pads are a little better.
Four has a sturdy metalic body. FLX10 is more plasticy, but the construction/finish is very good. This also means that FOUR is heavier than FLX10
Four uses a standard IEC C13 power cable. FLX10 uses an external PSU

For the rest of their differencies you can read their operating manuals
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/rane/four.html
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddjflx10.html

Posted Tue 14 Nov 23 @ 5:56 pm
Wow, really good and useful info. Very kind of you, George. I have made my choice ; )

Posted Tue 14 Nov 23 @ 6:26 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Rane Four works "perfect" with VirtualDJ.

I have personally used it in 6 live gigs this summer without any issues at all.

The only advise I have for Rane Four users, is to set zerodb setting at -6 or even -9db.
Generally it's a very good controller, but it doesn't like redlining. If you hit red on the VU you're gonna hear it! :)

PS: Yes, it's loud enough and you don't need to push it on the reds

I know this is a dated thread but that is something I was looking for on the Rane Four! I set mine to -9 db. Yes, its plenty loud. One other item I've encountered is the dedicated Flanger does not oscillate automatically like the Serato Pro does unless I use the hardware effects section. Is the knob under the channel a software effect?

Posted Sun 07 Apr 24 @ 3:59 pm
You mean the color effects ? They are hardware.
Also VirtualDj passes the BPM of the deck on the unit. So, it should have no issue to handle it.

I will take a look at it tomorrow, but IIRC Flanger color effect works fine here.

Posted Sun 07 Apr 24 @ 10:42 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Also VirtualDj passes the BPM of the deck on the unit. So, it should have no issue to handle it.

I will take a look at it tomorrow, but IIRC Flanger color effect works fine here.

Yes, the Color Effects is what I meant. I have to oscillate it by turning the knob, it won't work automatically.

Posted Sat 13 Apr 24 @ 10:41 am
Greeble101 wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Yes, the Color Effects is what I meant. I have to oscillate it by turning the knob, it won't work automatically. Serato's works automatically. Not that this is a big deal, I can oscillate by hand.

Posted Sun 14 Apr 24 @ 11:22 am