Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A#1 best PC laptop to use with Virtual DJ
My computer is about 10 years old now....was top of the top in its day....but not so much anymore....so its time to upgrade. I have a $3k budget...and would like to get the best of the best.

I'm getting a bit older, so large screen is preffered... also I'm a mobile DJ, so having a minimum of 1 TB storage is key....although I could possibly get by with an external drive for requests (don't trust streaming....yet).

So what PC Laptop would the creators of VDJ use? Prefferably a computer that would do stems resolution with as little delay as possible. (LOVE STEMS)

Posted Wed 22 Feb 23 @ 9:41 pm
I have the higher spec version of this one (i9, 32gb, RTX3080ti) and it works great. Decodes stems at 30x so the one below would be a bit slower but still good.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/legion-7i-gen-7-(16-inch-intel)/len101g0018?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

I just added a 2tb SSD to the spare slot so it now has 3tb in total.

No real issues with latency, nothing that affects the sound anyway. Seems to be an inherent Windows issue that affects some laptops more than others.

Posted Wed 22 Feb 23 @ 10:01 pm
With $3k as budget you won't have any trouble to get a good machine.
Go for any gaming laptop you like more and has the specs you want.

Personal suggestions:
1) Avoid Dell Alienware if possible. Some models have issues with DPC latency and you may need to spend a lot of time to troubleshoot it
2) Get a laptop with an RTX 3060 or bigger, with 6GB VRAM or more. With your budget you can most likely get an RTX 3080
3) On most gaming laptops (especially in that price range) adding extra RAM and extra discs common place. So, you can easily get the laptop you like most, and then just add a second M.2 SSD of whatever capacity you want/need
4) Before purchasing, make a quick Google search with the model you're interested at and the words "DPC Latency" next to it. Just to see if any users have any difficult to solve issues first.

Posted Wed 22 Feb 23 @ 10:01 pm

Posted Thu 23 Feb 23 @ 12:25 am
Thanks for the help!

Posted Wed 29 Mar 23 @ 10:33 pm