Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Remove Jog Cutter on Pioneer DDJ-FLX6?
Hi, I am trying to use the Jog Cutter button for other purposes, but regardless of what I do to the mapping of the Jog Wheel or the Jog Cutter button, it seems like the Jog Cutter function is always activated when the button is pressed (and lit).

Posted Sun 05 Dec 21 @ 9:11 pm
Then you did something wrong..
The button has a quite simple mapping:
<map value="JOG_CUTTER" action="toggle 'FLX6_JogCut'" />

Also on the mapper there's no "special" entry for the button's LED as it uses the same action.
Therefore if you modify the button to no longer toggle the variable but to something else, it should not affect the jog anymore.

PS: If you pressed the button before changing it's action, it's possible that you set the JOG to "jog cut" mode without a way to turn it off anymore.
The good news are that if you try to restart the program the variable that was set by the button (before changing it's action) will get cleared.

As a general tip, if you do remapping like that (press button to identify it on the list and then change it's action) it's always advised to press it twice so that in cases like this (that first press sets the variable and second press clears it) you don't get stuck with an unwanted state/behavior until you restart the program.

Posted Sun 05 Dec 21 @ 9:23 pm
You are spot-on. Thanks a lot, I indeed turned it on and then removed the action. I guess this is a typical beginner mistake :)

Posted Sun 05 Dec 21 @ 9:40 pm
Hi,

Me again, I was celebrating too early. The issue is actually related to turning on (or blinking - tried that too) the Jog Cutter button's led. When it is shining, I get back the Jog Cutter function. When I turn it off:

<map value="LED_JOG_CUTTER" action="off" />

I am able to map anything on the Jog Cutter button without issues (in my case I am trying to map the slip_mode).

I also tried loading the factory default mapping and then only set the LED_JOG_CUTTER to off. The Jog Cutter function is gone. When I click the button that still has the original action of toggle 'FLX6_JogCut' then the jog simply does nothing.

It seems the scratch dna is somehow linked to the LED and I cannot find where/how. I would like to turn on the LED (without Jog Cutter) of course.

Thanks a lot for any advice - incl. pointing to the related section of the (vdjscript?) manual. I assume it is again a beginner question.

Posted Mon 06 Dec 21 @ 10:10 pm
No response, therefore I assume I did not explain well:

With the factory default mapping
The Jog cutter works probably as planned by VDJ developers with some scratch DNA effects.
* When scratching without the Jog Cutter, I see the following events: JOG_TOUCH on --> JOG_CD +0.00 --> JOG_TOUCH off
* When scratching with the Jog Cutter, I see the following events: JOG_TOUCH on --> DNC_SRCx --> JOG_TOUCH off (DNC_SRCx is anything between DNC_SRC1 to DNC_SRC6 depending on the jog position).

If I set the LED_JOG_CUTTER to off
Only with this change alone, the Jog behaviour changes to the following:
* When scratching without clicking on the Jog Cutter, I see the following events: JOG_TOUCH on --> JOG_CD +0.00 --> JOG_TOUCH off
* When scratching after clicking once on the Jog Cutter button, I see the same events: JOG_TOUCH on --> JOG_CD +0.00 --> JOG_TOUCH off
* This is why I believe that the scripting is somehow using the LED status instead of the actual setting of the FLX6_JogCut value.

Next, I map another function on the JOG_CUTTER
Namely, I mapped the slip_mode.
* The Jog Cutter button now switches between slip mode and back. All works, except that I would like to use the LED.

-- Next, I map the LED_JOG_CUTTER
Without pressing the Jog Cutter and mapping anything from the below on the LED_JOG_CUTTER:
* slip_mode
* slip_mode ? on : off
* on
* blink 400ms
All the above leads to scratching giving the following messages: JOG_TOUCH on --> DNC_SRCx --> JOG_TOUCH off (DNC_SRCx is anything between DNC_SRC1 to DNC_SRC6 depending on the jog position). So turning on the LED turns on again the Jog Cutter function (without pressing the Jog Cutter button).

Please help me to find where or how this happens. I see the following candidates in the mapping file, tried to play with them with no success (likely due to a lack of knowledge):

<map value="JOG_TOUCH" action="var_equal 'FLX6_JogCut' 1 ? effect_button 'scratch dna' 2 off while_pressed : touchwheel_touch" />
I do not want to sound silly, but did I find a bug in the config? Shouldn't it be scratch_dna instead of scratch dna (shouldn't the space be replaced with an underscore)?
I tried mapping touchwheel_touch and also touchwheel, but it still gives the Jog Cutter function...

<map value="DNC_SCR1" action="scratch_dna ? nothing : setting 'DDJFLX6-jogCutterJumpToCue' ? goto_cue & scratch_dna 'CADA.EAEA' : scratch_dna 'CADA.EAEA'" />

<map value="DNC_SCR2" action="scratch_dna ? nothing : setting 'DDJFLX6-jogCutterJumpToCue' ? goto_cue & scratch_dna 'CgFGFaCc.DgFaCeDE' : scratch_dna 'CgFGFaCc.DgFaCeDE'" />

<map value="DNC_SCR3" action="scratch_dna ? nothing : setting 'DDJFLX6-jogCutterJumpToCue' ? goto_cue & scratch_dna 'DaDa.CeDbCbCa' : scratch_dna 'DaDa.CeDbCbCa'" />

<map value="DNC_SCR4" action="scratch_dna ? nothing : setting 'DDJFLX6-jogCutterJumpToCue' ? goto_cue & scratch_dna 'EcED.FgFdEhGe' : scratch_dna 'EcED.FgFdEhGe'" />

<map value="DNC_SCR5" action="scratch_dna ? nothing : setting 'DDJFLX6-jogCutterJumpToCue' ? goto_cue & scratch_dna 'CeCaCeba.DfaEga' : scratch_dna 'CeCaCeba.DfaEga'" />

<map value="DNC_SCR6" action="scratch_dna ? nothing : setting 'DDJFLX6-jogCutterJumpToCue' ? goto_cue & scratch_dna 'DADA.EaDA' : scratch_dna 'DADA.EaDA'" />

Posted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 9:27 am
Unfortunately, the LED of the "JOG_CUTTER" button is also a Firmware toggle.
This means that when the LED is "on" the jog itself sends different MIDI messages than when the LED is off.
Unfortunately VirtualDJ has no power over this. This is "hardcoded" on the device firmware.
This means that you can remap the button, but not the led.

Also, there's no bug on the scripts above.
One instance is an effect name "Scratch Dna" and the other instances are action "scratch_dna"

PS (More technical details):
The "DNC_SCR1", "DNC_SCR2", "DNC_SCR3" e.t.c. MIDI messages are sent by the device ONLY when the LED of "JOG CUTTER" button is on. Otherwise those messages won't get send.
However, even if you remove those keys from the mapper, while the jog cutter led is on the device will NOT send the MIDI message for the jog's movement.
This means that even if you remove those keys (so that the jog won't scratch the sound) you won't be able to use the jog (with the jog cutter led on) as the device will not send the movement of the jog to VirtualDJ

Posted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 10:10 am
Cool, thanks, it makes sense. I am happy with the result even if I cannot turn on the LED.

Posted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 10:20 am