Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Tidal, IDJPool, Beatport, Deezeer - what are the major differences?
I'm a long time DJ, since 1983. I have always had a HD full of my music. But I'm needing so much current pop/hip-hop that it's going to be easier to subscribe to an online service. Can anyone enlighten me as to what are the major differences with the online options that integrate with VDJ? I'm curious to know each services' strengths', weaknesses, cost? Thank you!

Posted Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 12:37 pm
Well Deezer should immediately be ruled out because it's for personal use only.

I use Tidal because it's one of the services integrated into my Denon DJ Prime 4, and it's open format.

Beatport is for "dance music" so the selection will be limited to genres which fall into that category.

SoundCloud does actually have quite a broad range of stuff now, but the front end (ease of use) is lacking compared to Tidal etc. OK if you know what you want, but lacks in the playlist and browsing dept.

IDJPool is IMO the weakest option. So many post here complaining about the limited track selection.

Posted Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 1:49 pm
groovindj wrote :
Well Deezer should immediately be ruled out because it's for personal use only.

I use Tidal because it's one of the services integrated into my Denon DJ Prime 4, and it's open format.

Beatport is for "dance music" so the selection will be limited to genres which fall into that category.

SoundCloud does actually have quite a broad range of stuff now, but the front end (ease of use) is lacking compared to Tidal etc. OK if you know what you want, but lacks in the playlist and browsing dept.

IDJPool is IMO the weakest option. So many post here complaining about the limited track selection.

Thank you. That's all I needed. I created a TIDAL account, but when I drag a song onto a VDJ deck, I get the error "Requested quality is not allowed...." Any idea how to fix that? Do I need to upgrade the plan I selected? I signed up for TIDAL Premium Standard Sound Quality.

Posted Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 2:35 pm
I upgraded to the $20/month plan, restarted PC, same error. Not sure how to get Tidal working in VDJ.

Posted Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 2:40 pm
Ok, logged out of Tidal in VDJ, logged back in, boom. Done. I'll give things a test. Thank you! Sorry for the noob issues. ;-)

Posted Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 2:43 pm
Bonus - you can actually play Tidal videos via VDJ too!

Maybe also worth mentioning that Spotify is ahead in terms of user numbers, quantity and variety of playlists and general navigation/browsing. I convert Spotify playlists to Tidal via Tune My Music.

Posted Mon 06 Sep 21 @ 3:11 pm
Wanted to interject here. I mainly play Rock/Metal genre when I'm DJ'ing. Sounds like I need to check out TIDAL. I've been trying to search and pull content from Deezer and Soundcloud (I have HiFi and GO+ subscriptions with them). Beatport/Beatsource isn't an option for me, as they mainly focus on R&B/Rap/Hip-Hop. It's too bad that Virtual DJ doesn't allow for the porting of standard iDJpool content (from normal iDJpool subscriptions obtained from the iDJpool site). The Virtual DJ iDJpool subscription is just a stripped-down "lite" version of iDJpool.

Posted Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 7:44 am
Happy with TIDAL as my "one" streaming music service provider.... I wish I had gone with them in the first place. No headaches, you can purchase albums thru them (if needed), and (like you said above GroovinDJ) you can play their videos in VDJ.

Posted Sat 02 Oct 21 @ 12:01 am
Jesse Li Starseed wrote :
Wanted to interject here. I mainly play Rock/Metal genre when I'm DJ'ing. Sounds like I need to check out TIDAL. I've been trying to search and pull content from Deezer and Soundcloud (I have HiFi and GO+ subscriptions with them). Beatport/Beatsource isn't an option for me, as they mainly focus on R&B/Rap/Hip-Hop. It's too bad that Virtual DJ doesn't allow for the porting of standard iDJpool content (from normal iDJpool subscriptions obtained from the iDJpool site). The Virtual DJ iDJpool subscription is just a stripped-down "lite" version of iDJpool.

Just starting with VDJ and radio work, but in the same position Music genre wise. Glad I found this thread and your input! Thanks

Posted Sun 16 Jan 22 @ 12:31 am
Jesse Li Starseed wrote :
The Virtual DJ iDJpool subscription is just a stripped-down "lite" version of iDJpool.

Thank you, been wanting confirmation on this. I was a sub on iDJPool back in 2014/2015and it was amazing. Wasn't sure if it's still the same, and if it's comparable between VDJ and stand alone subs.

Posted Wed 13 Apr 22 @ 7:47 pm