Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Cannot justify 20 USD per month, any other options? - Page: 1
Hey all,

So I was using the 20 dollars a month subscription for Virtual DJ pro but as I'm barely using it once a month I can't justify paying for something that I use so little of.

Is there another option that's cheaper that I can use so I can keep using Virtual DJ (as I really like it) and have the mappings for my controllers?

Thanks in advance.

Sel

Posted Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 8:09 am
That's the only option, or log out and use it in free mode with no controller support.

Posted Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 9:17 am
You can of course pay $299 to get the infinity license. That is a one time payment so it will be cheaper in the long run

Or you can maybe get a license for your specific controller. That is also a one time payment
Check the "buy" page to see if there is such a license available for your specific controller

You can also simply opt out of the subscription until you really need it again
You won't loose anything you don't get back when you re-subscribe

Posted Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 9:19 am
if its for Home use only, and you can opt for Home license one time cost.
If the controller is not high end professional one, a Home license one time cost start at $49

Posted Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 9:21 am
By the wording in his original post it seems the OP has more than one controller ......

Posted Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 9:25 am
Kradcillfe - I hear you, but there's less point running the program with no controller support when I have them sitting on my desk.

i was looking through the licencing option and didn't find a specific licence for the controllers I have (a pair of Numark NDX 800s). It just says I need a PRO licence for the controllers when I select it so that brings me back to square one, either pay the subscription or full pro licence for 300 dollars.

It's for home use but the licence only lets me select the PRO version, the controllers are older although I wouldn't say they're full professional even though they are pretty nice.

It would have been nice if I could have had just the home licence with the controller support but that's not possible either so I'll have to wait so I can afford the PRO licence.

Also, what it the LE8 version?

Posted Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 9:44 am
HeltinoPRO InfinityMember since 2020
user22914071 wrote :
Kradcillfe - I hear you, but there's less point running the program with no controller support when I have them sitting on my desk.

i was looking through the licencing option and didn't find a specific licence for the controllers I have (a pair of Numark NDX 800s). It just says I need a PRO licence for the controllers when I select it so that brings me back to square one, either pay the subscription or full pro licence for 300 dollars.

It's for home use but the licence only lets me select the PRO version, the controllers are older although I wouldn't say they're full professional even though they are pretty nice.

It would have been nice if I could have had just the home licence with the controller support but that's not possible either so I'll have to wait so I can afford the PRO licence.

For me it is simple:
If you like VDJ and like to use it on a long run: go for the 300 Dollar option.
One time pain, never again an issue. You can change the hardware, use it 1 or 300 times per month...you get each update...you´re just done with it.

Subscription makes for me no point at all, as the break even is a joke: 300 Dollar / 20 Dollar = 15 month.
So not even 1,5 years and you´re going cheaper with the one time purchase.

The controller licences (home plus) is as well not my tool of choice...depending on the hardware (for a lot of stuff it is not even available, as soon as classified as "pro", there is nor more "home plus" license) you are wasting money very soon. Change the hardware = pay again.

I can say: At the moment I use VDJ less than one time per month and 100% private....was different, will become different...I don´t care.
Was worth the money as I´m flexible in whatever comes.
New sexy Pioneer hardware? I´m done with my license
Need to work with two different hardware? (maybe one in a club, one a t home..) I´m done with my license
Buying the new fancy whatever hardware and figure out it sucks and need to change to another one...I`m done with my license.

Take a few beers, buy the 300 Dollar option as soon as it seems cheap enough...and you´re as well done with your license :)

Posted Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 4:09 pm
For what you get with VDJ the price is great. I know you said for private use only but I have done hundreds and hundreds of gigs since 2008 and the price includes all updates. that in itself is quite something.

I just paid the same price for Topaz AI video upscaling software, and that does a hell of a lot less than VDJ.

Posted Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 4:36 pm
Heltino wrote :
user22914071 wrote :

For me it is simple:
One time pain, never again an issue. You can change the hardware, use it 1 or 300 times per month...you get each update...you´re just done with it.

Subscription makes for me no point at all, as the break even is a joke: 300 Dollar / 20 Dollar = 15 month.

The controller licences (home plus) is as well not my tool of choice...depending on the hardware (for a lot of stuff it is not even available, as soon as classified as "pro", there is nor more "home plus" license) you are wasting money very soon. Change the hardware = pay again.

I can say: At the moment I use VDJ less than one time per month and 100% private....was different, will become different...I don´t care.
Need to work with two different hardware? (maybe one in a club, one a t home..) I´m done with my license
Buying the new fancy whatever hardware and figure out it sucks and need to change to another one...I`m done with my license.

Take a few beers, buy the 300 Dollar option as soon as it seems cheap enough...and you´re as well done with your license :)

I understand that the only real option is to pay for the lifetime version, I've been a subscriber for a good few months so I could have saved some more money by just getting the full licence. I was asking as I don't use my kit as much as I thought I would, being married, work, etc gets in the way.

Home plus is useless really as most controllers fall under the PRO category, I'm SOL with that one.

Posted Tue 06 Jul 21 @ 9:05 am
kradcliffe wrote :
For what you get with VDJ the price is great. I know you said for private use only but I have done hundreds and hundreds of gigs since 2008 and the price includes all updates. that in itself is quite something.

I just paid the same price for Topaz AI video upscaling software, and that does a hell of a lot less than VDJ.

If you're a pro earning money than absolutely it's justified to buy the full version outright, but as I was barely using VDJ I was looking to see if there were any other options that may help me stay in the VDJ ecosystem.

I'm just going to have to wait until I can afford the full version and maybe go for that.

Also it's a shame I can't just buy the licence for my controllers, that would have been an option too.

Posted Tue 06 Jul 21 @ 9:11 am
Maybe someone from support will read this and strike you a deal. You never know ......

Posted Tue 06 Jul 21 @ 9:24 am
Would be nice if they did, I'd be all over it! :)

Posted Tue 06 Jul 21 @ 11:56 am
I bought my license in 2012. I have had such value added by doing the one time purchase. I have used at least 10 controllers with my 1 time license.

Posted Wed 07 Jul 21 @ 7:17 pm
user22914071 wrote :
Heltino wrote :
user22914071 wrote :

For me it is simple:

I understand that the only real option is to pay for the lifetime version, I've been a subscriber for a good few months so I could have saved some more money by just getting the full licence. I was asking as I don't use my kit as much as I thought I would, being married, work, etc gets in the way.

Home plus is useless really as most controllers fall under the PRO category, I'm SOL with that one.

I had the same...building a house, wedding, became a father...all this blocked, delayed or at least make it much more rare to play around with VDJ. Corona has as well eliminated all (in my case hand selected and very rare) gigs....

But it remains under the line:
Pay one time, done. Never worry again about the piece of hardware, never pay again....just a one time problem solution. For me, at least my use case and the known use cases around me, VDJ has two options. a) use full home without hardware (free) b) go for the lifetime and have fun in whatever direction your life/hobby/daily business is moving.

All in between is for me no fish and no meat and in many cases as well burning of money.
I know too many guys that was "avoiding" the 300 Dollar shot with subscriptions or home plus....and all of them figured out that they have already more spent as the 300 Dollars or they go anyway sooner or later to the one time purchase, what means that each subscription month was in fact just raising the price tag.

Just keep in mind: any paid subscription wil not be credited on the one time purchase.
And even if you don´t use VDJ for a few month, the 15 month break even is there.
Using monthly = 15 month
don´t use for a few month by whatever reason = 15 month + X

I would say latest after two years you are in any case on the winner street...

Just my points...

Posted Thu 08 Jul 21 @ 9:32 am
Yep, you're right. Buying the full version will be the way to go, I'll just wait until I have enough spare cash to buy it.

Cheers all!

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 8:03 am
user22914071 wrote :
Yep, you're right. Buying the full version will be the way to go, I'll just wait until I have enough spare cash to buy it.

Cheers all!

best option.
I did not regret it a single second, even in times with rare use.

Posted Fri 09 Jul 21 @ 8:32 pm
I should have paid it off in full back when the lifetime price was lower (if I remember correctly). I was just skeptical of doing it because I wondered what if something occurred where either rules changed later or I somehow lost access to my subscription, etc. I assume the lifetime subscription covers you regardless of whether you switch between Mac and Windows PC.

The only time I have paid for a lifetime subscription for anything was when I signed up for lifetime of Zoolz 1tb cloud storage so I could save all my mixes there. A few years later the company realized they couldn't handle it, apologized in email and said that all existing subscribers will need to "upgrade" to one of their monthly plans in order to keep their accounts, or their accounts will be permanently discontinued.

I am glad I had my stuff saved elsewhere as well due to always being somewhat skeptical of lifetime subscriptions.

You can Google and read the Zoolz storage reviews for your entertainment if you wish. Many other angry people lost everything (like photos of deceased family or pets, etc.) when they put their faith into that lifetime subscription for Zoolz storage. Nothing they could do since the company did the changes in such a way that whatever their original contract said no longer mattered.

There are some good posts here about why a lifetime subscription with VDJ would be a great choice, and I agree with it. It certainly does pay off if nothing unfortunate should happen to your account or the company anytime during the 15 months after purchase (which, I doubt it will, but you just never know).

As far as the "for home use only," I was a little skeptical to ever try that since I wondered how it would be determined where my "home" is. It was only a few months ago I thought about it after remembering that I saw that option. I did leave the country for a while afterwards then returned to the US and unexpectedly moved to a new home when the former place I lived got new ownership with price hike and other changes that I didn't care for, so not sure what would have happened if I wasn't gigging and chose the "home use only" option.

But yes, in the long run, paying the $299 for lifetime back in 2016 would have benefitted me now, for sure.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 22 @ 6:51 pm
Nothing has happened to the company since I bought VDJ Pro in 2007. All updates totally free.

I know there were many examples of paying for lifetime then the company changed or went out of business but that's the gamble. Lifetime is for the product, not you!

And yes, you can use both Mac and PC versions.

VDJ is hands down the best thing I've probably ever spent money on.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 22 @ 6:57 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
VDJ is hands down the best thing I've probably ever spent money on.

+1

Posted Wed 28 Sep 22 @ 7:21 pm
VDJ is the best investment I've ever made in DJ or audio production software. I was an early customer and to show the dev my gratitude all I did was try to spread the word to every Mobile DJ I came in contact with.

In my Mobile DJ manual, it will be the only DJ software I'll recommend.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 22 @ 8:35 pm
87%