Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Channel MUTE
Hello. I am experiencing this very weird problem: channel B of is permanently muted, it appears Mute next to the song name. Even before I load a song it is written already there. Channel A is working correctly.
Please help me out with a solution.

Thank you!

I am using VDJ with Pioneer RX2

Posted Mon 03 May 21 @ 7:52 am
It's normal for the VDJ decks to be muted when the channel inputs of the controller are switched to line or phono.

Posted Mon 03 May 21 @ 9:03 am
I genuinely do not understand the necessity of this, could you explain why it is useful to have the deck mute itself when the controller is not listening to the output?

It seems to be causing a lot of confusing issues but doesn't seem to be solving any problem. I have never heard of any issues arising from sending a signal to a device that is not listening, but I am open to learning the reason this is done.

Posted Tue 11 May 21 @ 1:00 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
-It serves as a visual reminder on-screen that the channel will not be heard since the mixer is switched not to hear it
-There are several controllers that still mix the incoming channel to the master, so it is up to the software to mute the channel. Otherwise the not-selected deck will still be heard.

Posted Tue 11 May 21 @ 6:17 am
As Adion said:
There is a ton of controllers out there that rely on software to not send an audio signal when a channel source switch is not set to USB/PC.
For starters, ALL the controllers that have "Master+Headphones" audio setup (like Pioneer DDJ-1000, DDJ-800 e.t.c.) rely on software to mute the corresponding channel since the audio it's sending is fed directly on the master output of the device.
Also several controllers that require "external mixer" audio setup also require software to stop sending audio when the source switch changes. For instance Pioneer DDJ-SZ2.

To be honest, these days the cases where a controller physically "mutes" the software sound are not quite common any more.
Finally, besides the software actually muting the sound, the "mute" action has also a desired side effect:
It allows the software to know that your track is not audible, and therefore it should not be taken into account for master deck assignment, auto sync, and other features that rely on playback volume and status of your decks.

Posted Tue 11 May 21 @ 8:49 am
Cool. Well, it can't be ALL, because I've never experienced this on the DDJ-SR2, and especially not on the DJM-V10. It does seem at least a little ludicrous that a selector switch would be set to input or phono and yet still take input from the controller, but I suppose it is a controller-specific problem. It would be super cool if the devs would take the specificities of the controller they are mapping into account. Alas, I'm not the dev. It definitely manifests as more of a problem throughout the entirety of my experience with it. Sadly, I guess this just isn't meant for serious hardware, I hear you saying. Thank you for the insight and I wish you the best in your musical endeavors.

Posted Tue 11 May 21 @ 9:06 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Sounds like you didn't hear what we're saying.
Why would you want the deck to continue output to a channel that can not be heard?

Posted Tue 11 May 21 @ 9:10 am
The issue is that the deck or somehow automatically triggers it when nothing has changed, and then it's unresolvable. I currently can't get my deck to Unmute no matter what switches I move. And I can't find how to disable it through the software. It sounds more like you're not hearing what we are saying. The deck SHOULD be able to be heard. That's the issue

Posted Fri 02 Sep 22 @ 5:34 pm
Your account name is more of an issue

Posted Fri 02 Sep 22 @ 5:39 pm
U3849550666 wrote :
The issue is that the deck or somehow automatically triggers it when nothing has changed, and then it's unresolvable. I currently can't get my deck to Unmute no matter what switches I move. And I can't find how to disable it through the software. It sounds more like you're not hearing what we are saying. The deck SHOULD be able to be heard. That's the issue

I think they explained it pretty well above

Anyway... If you want a backup plan to unmute a deck in case your controller "acts up", simply map MUTE to a keyboard key. That can then be used to mute and unmute the current deck

Posted Fri 02 Sep 22 @ 9:14 pm
I'm having a similar issue. If I use FX (Echo) or and other on the track playing it mutes when the effect has finished i.e. deck 1. Starting a different track on deck 2 fine, audio out happening. So if I wanted to play (return) to that track on deck 1 again while it was still loaded I get zero audio output. Yes the visuals are all there Vu Etc but no audio. Could do with a bit of help Please. Virtual DJ 2021 Controller Roland DJ 707m.

Posted Sat 12 Nov 22 @ 11:35 am
Think I've Resolved the issue. Switching Off the FX Effect Button Gives normal service i.e. audio back on that deck.

Posted Sat 12 Nov 22 @ 11:43 am