Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: how to launch a URL with parameters Title & Track Name

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dustycatControlleristMember since 2016
Is there an Action that can launch a URL with parameters Title & Track Name?
This is to launch a search for the current track on www.Genius.com. (The information they have on the meanings of the song is awesome!)

Alternatively, is there a way to set a system variable or save a file to the track name & artist at every song change?
I can then see about having the browser populate the field.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 20 @ 7:00 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
There's no action, I could knock a plugin up that could do it if you're on pc [I've thought about something similar for checking out suggested tracks]
I'm not sure what you mean by "system variable", but you history file(s) keep a note of what has been played & when.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 20 @ 8:10 am
locodog wrote :
There's no action, I could knock a plugin up that could do it if you're on pc [I've thought about something similar for checking out suggested tracks]
I'm not sure what you mean by "system variable", but you history file(s) keep a note of what has been played & when.

I am on Windows... so this will be *amazing*!

And to explain the other route (system variable):
I would read the history file & pass the title & artist of the most recent track to the routine that will open the browser to the page.

Posted Fri 04 Dec 20 @ 3:34 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014

Posted Fri 04 Dec 20 @ 4:08 am
pm inbound. Little plugin made, now to switch it to my needs to YT search for the recommends.

Posted Fri 04 Dec 20 @ 5:04 am
A few hours on v2, learnt how to utf8 > percentCode.
still tweaking for dustycat's ideal, [I think I've got it, just waiting till he replies]

My [in house] version is more about researching the online recommendations, so one button to launch a web browser search of; soundcloud || bandcamp || youtube || google || discogs
I'm sort of kicking myself for not making it before, the vdj users recommendations is a huge pool of data, likely more focused for niche[weirdos like me] genres like jungletek breakcore, than mainstream sources like shazam

if you want in let me know

Posted Mon 07 Dec 20 @ 4:41 pm
Fricken AMAZING!

Thank you, Loco!

Posted Mon 07 Dec 20 @ 5:55 pm
I've previously done this via a wrapped Icecast server that i stream to and then grab the song title using NodeJS to send it via WebSockets to my streaming laptop, but now i'm implementing a different method using the history files and setting historyDelay to zero. Since posting links (to my GitHub for example) is generally not liked here, you need to DM me for any links.

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 10:27 am
Bit of news for everyone else, OP requested a couple of tweaks. And I reckon it passes muster to be useful in a few ways; for track research/finding lyrics/background info, etc

So in the spirit of "make cool stuff & put it on the internets" I'll be submitting this one to atomix for review. I won't bother until after NYD [no pressing hurry for a down time tool]
Nothing special about it, just nice to have the machine do the job, save a few seconds a few thousand times.

Posted Wed 30 Dec 20 @ 11:23 am
locodog wrote :
Bit of news for everyone else, OP requested a couple of tweaks. And I reckon it passes muster to be useful in a few ways; for track research/finding lyrics/background info, etc

So in the spirit of "make cool stuff & put it on the internets" I'll be submitting this one to atomix for review. I won't bother until after NYD [no pressing hurry for a down time tool]
Nothing special about it, just nice to have the machine do the job, save a few seconds a few thousand times.

I'll be looking out for this, cheers for sharing locodog

Posted Wed 30 Dec 20 @ 11:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)