Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Flanger effect pioneer djm 'style'

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

wynderPRO InfinityMember since 2013
First off I've googled this & attempted to search the forum which I'm unfamiliar with and tried quite a few effects and VST's and half of them don't seem to work anymore so I'm starting a fresh thread for the optimal VST and settings to emulate the pioneer sound. Or some automated oscillation mapping (if thats possible) to help the default "flow" like a pioneer one , I can come come close ish by playing around with the knobs but to have a natural sweep over 32 or 64 beats that is instantly "on & punchy" from the button press a la DJM would be amazing

After trailing rekordbox for 5 minutes out of curiosity on the subject, to my surprise, the flanger effect is more of less identical to the DJM style flanger (after 10 years+ of traktor, serato, vdj etc all failing to varying degrees at this I didn't think it was simple, but I guess it is definitely possible to emulate the effect if you know how. I have a VDJ licence not a rekordbox one & after years of using VDJ & having it correctly analyse BPM changes / drifting vinyl rips so much better than any other software & tens of thousands of tracks analysed, fixed and cue'd I won't be converting

So I'm hoping with the huge user base someone has a solution for this with the latest 2021 VDJ

The best rated ones from the past incl - SupaPhaser & TK's don't work at all for the newer VDJ versions & nothing I've found comes close , and all of the latest plugins are max length 8 beats so even if they were up to scratch they wont have the long sweeping 64 beat flanger so I'm curious what options people use nowadays.. I got close with bluecat but it's kind of static, if it's possible I really want that punchy DJM flanger sound that hits as soon as you press the button

Posted Sun 29 Nov 20 @ 11:23 pm

Posted Mon 30 Nov 20 @ 8:35 am
not really a viable solution sometimes travel very light with zero hardware but laptop

I would have thought someone would have a really solid solution or programmable presets for something its been a common request with this software since before 2006

Posted Mon 30 Nov 20 @ 11:55 pm
Maybe you didn't read the info on the products, but there's an RMX plugin included with the RMX-1000 that can be installed on your computer.

Once it's installed, it can be used without the RMX-1000 connected.

TBH I really don't understand why some people seem to expect non-Pioneer products to be exactly like Pioneer. IMO if you must have the exact effect, then use Pioneer software/hardware. I doubt whether anyone listening to you DJ will care if your FX are not Pioneer.

Posted Tue 01 Dec 20 @ 10:06 am
wynder wrote :
After trailing rekordbox for 5 minutes out of curiosity on the subject, to my surprise, the flanger effect is more of less identical to the DJM style flanger (after 10 years+ of traktor, serato, vdj etc all failing to varying degrees at this I didn't think it was simple, but I guess it is definitely possible to emulate the effect if you know how.

The principals of how to produce a flanger effect are quite simple.
Try this: while a deck is playing, clone it to the other deck and use the jog to delay it by a few ms... instant flanger!

However, besides the main principal, there are a lot of possible parameters that you can adjust. High/Low pass filters, wet/dry mix, feedback, oscillator movement, initial phase, adding a small amount of reverberation, e.t.c. If you ever take a look at a good VST flanger effect you'll see that there are tons of parameters to adjust.
Pioneer knows the parameters it has used on it's hardware mixers. Therefore it's quite easy for them to use the same parameters on a software version of the effect and maybe just fine-tune it a little.
The rest "world" has just to "guess" and try to find the "same" parameters in order to copy the same sounding effect.

PS: Even Pioneer mixers have different flanger sound over the years.
My DJM-500 (yes, I'm that old) flanger sound has nothing to do with my DJM-900NXS2
To be honest, to my ears they are 2 completely different flanger effects.

My advise is to try to find the correct settings for a flanger effect that sound right and pleasant to you, not that copy a sound you've heard.
And to be honest personally I prefer the flanger of DJM500/600 over the flanger of DJM900NXS2 (but that's personal taste)

Posted Tue 01 Dec 20 @ 5:03 pm
I borrowed a RMX1000 for a day or two and it doesn't have that particular effect, although I now have the VST installed for free which is awesome so thanks for the pointer!

Funny you should mention that I much preferred the 600 sound over the 800 I know they are all different I was just looking for aprox parameters or a preset that was close to it I don't think anyone can deny that the vdj default one cuts some awful tinny cheap sounding frequencies I could make it sound okay but I was constantly in flux with 2 of the knobs because not leaving me a free hand to mix

Anyway, I did just that, & for anyone coming across this thread or searching this topic in the near future - found the best free VST available at the moment seems to be the Media production Mflanger to be the most tweakable and although you can't save modifications I've screenshotted the params I like - or you can just hit random when you open it until something sounds good

NB - it doesn't reset the effect when cycling through the length options which was something I loved about pioneer 'style' the hard punch in on the effect & the ability to make it "punch" every time you cycle through from 64/32 etc beat effect time loops. gives it a much more gentle rising effect and quantises the whole effect to the track itself

Posted Fri 04 Dec 20 @ 1:59 pm
wynder wrote :
...... I've screenshotted the params I like - or you can just hit random when you open it until something sounds good....

Did you forget to add the screenshot?

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 10:59 am
I think he did that for his own use, so he can see from the picture where he set the controls.

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 11:18 am
Hmmm... Maybe im wrong, but a flanger effect cannot be punchy. It will just cancel some punchy sound from the original track.

Please, let me hear what you mean. Send a link.

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 12:36 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)