Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Beatport Link: a quick review

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm trying out Beatport Link through VirtualDJ for the free 30 day trial.

I find it humorous that I couldn't figure out how to subscribe for literally months and even sent in a helpdesk ticket to BP.

I finally figured out how to subscribe by myself.

1. Right click on the Beatport Link folder in the file browser and sign into your Beatport account
2. That will take you to the Beatport site where you can choose your options and pricing
3. Input your payment method
4. Done

Then the Beatport Link main folders will appear:

1. Offline tracks
2. Top 100
3. Top Tracks

Offline tracks if where you can store tracks in case you lose your online connection while playing. The number depends on your option selection and pricing
Top 100 give you the Top 100 tracks of every Beatport music genre and there are a lot of genres: minimal, nu disco, house, techno, bass, leftfield, etc.
Top Tracks gives you a set of folders FOR EACH GENRE: Best Tracks for September, Best Hype Tracks for September, Best New Tracks, Peak Hour, Staff Picks, some label promotions, some DJ playlists, etc

You can also create folders and move tracks from any other folder into your custom folders.

By clicking on the Beatport Link main folder you can then search the entire Beatport site for tracks, and then put them into your custom folders if you wish.

Observations:
1. It's a lot of music
2. Searching the site is slightly slow and cumbersome but hey, it's the whole friggin' site
3. Loading tracks into VDJ is pretty fast on my 400 MBPS ethernet connection. (5 seconds per track) I'll try it on WiFi later.
4. The tracks are labeled with BPM and key
5. Audio quality is good. Surprisingly good. I think the option I got was 256 KBPS AAC.
6. The price is fair I think to have such a "infinite" crate but of course it depends on your pandemic budget and income
7. Sometimes the cover art is generic
8. I had an interchange with tech support and although it was tedious and took a while via email, the problem was solved (one of my favorite genres did not have subfolders under Top Tracks)
9. Beatport is mainly electronic music for what it's worth. It will be interesting if Traxsource does something similar at some point with their more classic house and disco sounds.

I'll add to my review in this thread if something else comes up.

Posted Sat 26 Sep 20 @ 10:03 am
I used Pulselocker 'back in the day'.
If any of these services didn't cap at 100 offline tracks, i'd subscribe to one right away.
It's only worth it for me if i can use it to move my always changing Spotify collection to it (using Soundiiz) and store it offline.
Before anyone asks: Yes, i have a local database, but i use Spotify synced to music stores for some charts, latest genre tracks and personal favorites.

Posted Sat 26 Sep 20 @ 6:35 pm
Well, I tried the loading time on a Win 10 notebook on WiFi with an i5 processor and 8 GB of RAM.

The loading time for a Link track was very slow, perhaps several minutes.

This seems WAY too slow to be usable. However, I was playing the song at the same time I was loading it.

I will give it some MORE research.

Posted Sun 27 Sep 20 @ 11:07 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)