Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Request: VDJ 2021 compatible tool for writing database info to tags - Page: 1
I am in a predicament at the moment...

I need to transfer all the info from my VDJ database to my file tags, as the database is much more complete. As Denon's Engine Prime software can't import from the VDJ database, I need to get the info into the file tags.

However, it seems that all the old tools for doing this no longer work.

Ideally it would also use the cover art that VDJ downloads and caches, but doesn't write to the files. I've got thousands of covers but no way of adding them to the files.

Posted Tue 07 Jul 20 @ 8:05 pm
Yeah, there used to be a tool for this, I used it to export all the BPM info to the tags for reading on my ipad DJ software.

It worked really well but that was quite a while ago now.

Can you not select all tracks, load tag editor and click "write tag"? Doubt that will take the covers over though.

Posted Tue 07 Jul 20 @ 8:08 pm
Ooh, I dunno. That might be a bit much to ask. Maybe if I did it in stages, using filter folders...

Posted Tue 07 Jul 20 @ 8:16 pm
Yeah, you could try it with a small selection to see how it works.

I just add album art when I create the tag.

Posted Tue 07 Jul 20 @ 8:18 pm
My recent stuff is OK. It's just the massive back catalogue that has more info in the VDJ database than in the files.

Posted Tue 07 Jul 20 @ 8:29 pm
You should be able to make a tool to parse the DB XML file and write the info to the individual audio files. You can also probably get the album art transfer to work.
https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-id3

If this is worth money to you and you can't code it yourself, i could probably make an open-source script for a cheap rate that anyone can use when it's done.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 20 @ 11:05 am
1) I am not a programmer.
2) I'm not prepared to pay for something I will only need once (and previous tools have been free).

Posted Wed 08 Jul 20 @ 11:09 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Unless i'm missing something, you simply select all tracks that you want their tags updated with info imported from the db > open the tag editor and press 'Write Tag'.
I do that all the time and just tested again to confirm.
It writes all basic tag fields and also Bpm, Remix, Comment etc.
For cover art however you need to save them to tags in VirtualDJ tag editor, it doesn't import the cached covers.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 20 @ 2:13 pm
I was just concerned that it would too much for the tag editor to handle, doing everything in one go.

Shame about the covers though. Doing them one by one would take years.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 20 @ 2:19 pm
groovindj,
maybe you can open the .xml database into MS-Excel (and have a simple script/RegEx to look for corresponding keywords, which will be the column headings)
Then you will get all information into the relevant columns (keeping the filename too, in its own column)

then, from Excel save it as .XLS file _and_ a .CSV file

after that, you may be able to use MP3Tag to import from .CSV file into .MP3 tags

is it possible to import tag items from an excel file
--> https://community.mp3tag.de/t/is-it-possible-to-import-tag-items-from-an-excel-file/16283/8

Posted Sun 12 Jul 20 @ 10:37 am
I've now got the text info from the database into the file tags, using the above method (Write Tags button).

The main problem is the cover art. VDJ has very kindly download it all to a cache folder, but has no way of getting from there to the files.

Posted Sun 12 Jul 20 @ 11:24 am
groovindj,
there are some web-scripts which you load through MP3Tag (which scrape iTunes, Google Play)
allowing you to get album-art, saved to the song's ID3 tag.

it's still going to be a manual process for you, but in some ways,
the script can grab just the album art for you 'auto-magically', if you get desperate.
i guess this is the annoying part, i.e. getting those album art into the MP3 tag.

maybe this becomes an opportunity for you to insert a different album art in those tags,
like turning all of your song's album-covers into KEY notation (e.g. songs that are "5A" will have 5A.jpg in their album-art, etc.)

see this:
--> https://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?p=683994#post683994

Posted Sun 12 Jul 20 @ 11:38 am
@Adion can we at least have the "write tag" button in the tag editor include the cached cover art?

It doesn't make sense to me that the tag editor shows the track as having cover art, even if it's not in the tag, then does not write that cover art to the tag when the user clicks "write tag".

Having to separately click on the cover art to open a window (which does not show the cached art) then pick a file from online, when a file has already been cached, doesn't seem very efficient.

Posted Thu 23 Jul 20 @ 1:35 pm
I agree with groovindj

I also want to request visibility of Publisher tags (and maybe Catalog # tags?).
This way, I can find songs from certain Record Labels.

Posted Fri 24 Jul 20 @ 10:51 am
iamanotheryou wrote :
I agree with groovindj

I also want to request visibility of Publisher tags (and maybe Catalog # tags?).

also like other software writes cue points and grids to file tags . vdj should have this option .

Posted Mon 03 Aug 20 @ 1:41 pm
I disagree. Firstly I don't want my file dates to be changed whenever file data (tags/cue/grid) is edited.

Secondly if cue and grid info was kept in the file, what happens if you need to replace that file for some reason (i.e. remastered version, higher bit rate)?

How would you deal with backups? Right now we have one file (the database) to back up. If info was written to each file individually, you'd have to back up multiple files.

Posted Mon 03 Aug 20 @ 1:54 pm
iamanotheryou wrote :

I've managed to achieve this (see the Publisher tags), through the install of the "My Library" plug-in

It's here: My Library > Extras > Label

It's not ideal, ie. it's not available as a browser column, but it's OK, for now :-)

Posted Mon 03 Aug 20 @ 6:18 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Label is available as browser column

Posted Mon 03 Aug 20 @ 7:23 pm
Adion wrote :
Label is available as browser column

D'oh !
It is there.
I was always looking for "Publisher" (because that's what the ID3 tag is called in my software).

OK, very good :-D

Posted Tue 04 Aug 20 @ 6:04 pm
Indeed it would be easier for the tags to be modified and the cover to be also on the hard disk. How to save the modifications? because when I delete the year on vdj the year remains on the hard drive and when I add a year on vdj it is not added to the file. Thank you

Posted Tue 25 May 21 @ 10:00 pm
95%