Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PC Failed - VDJ Database

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all - I've recently had a complete failure on my desktop PC to the point i couldn't even get it to boot up. As it was Win 7 I knew it had to be upgraded soon anyway so I'm now sitting in front of a new all singing Win 10 machine . I'm in the middle of transferring all my files off the old SSD onto the new machine and wanted to ask before doing it can I simply copy over the old VDJ database into the new VDJ folder?

All of my music is stored on a separate portable drive that I simply take with me to gigs etc and I really don't want to screw up all the track info / cues etc on these files by plugging it into the new pc. I know the portable drive has its own database file but I'm hesitant on plugging it in without being sure I'm not going to lose all the file info.

Any advice gratefully received - Thanks

Posted Sat 22 Feb 20 @ 12:41 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
In short : Yes

In long:
VDJ Databases are stored in every portable drives, not in VDJ folder,
only local one stay there, and as long as tree is the same - specially user login - everything will work for it

VDJ folders only contains settings, cache, device/maps, plugins, pads, languages, history, playlists, backups and decks sets nothing external databases related
only cache may have some influence

The only possible missing things are ... attached "covers" (stored in local cache folder) and some linked images and custom sample icons, the same way as when connecting external drive to other machine
they are stored in database with reference to local cache
i.e.: <Link Cover="C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\VirtualDJ\Cache\Covers\GO-Sandra - In The Heat Of The Night.jpg" />

If you are transferring all your files off the old SSD onto the new machine this may not be a real issue (if login name and tree match)

Posted Sat 22 Feb 20 @ 2:39 pm
thats great thanks for the reply and explanation ! The login / tree is different on this pc but I'm not worried about the cache to be fair - its more the tag information ect on the files

Thank again

Posted Sat 22 Feb 20 @ 2:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)