Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: if i pre-mix (a complex mix of 3 overlapping songs), how do i save it? [searched everywhere]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I searched the FAQ, the Knowledge Database and the User Guide for "pre-mix" and "premix" but found no relevant results.

> If I pre-mix a complex mix of 3 interweaving/overlapping songs, how do i save my mix? <

Normally I would use separate software for creating re-mixes. I should be using audio-specific software, but besides Audacity, the only related software I have is Magix Vegas, a video editor. I use that. I'm wondering if I can create complex pre-mixes in Virtual DJ instead - mixes that are too complex for me to create on-the-fly.

Posted Thu 06 Feb 20 @ 4:12 pm
Simply record the result in VDJ while doing the mix. That will result in a recorded mp3 file that you can then add to a deck and play. Some of my samples were created like that

Posted Thu 06 Feb 20 @ 4:34 pm
Thanks --- but that means I can't edit it in multiple stages, I will need to do it on-the-fly, right? Better than doing it live on-the-fly, because if I screw up, I can just do it again, but still I would need to start from the start and hope I get everything right on-the-fly while recording, right? I don't think I can do what I want to do that way.

Posted Thu 06 Feb 20 @ 8:32 pm
DJ software is designed for live use - that’s how DJs work. If it’s too complex to perform live then you need to use the appropriate software, such as a DAW.

Posted Thu 06 Feb 20 @ 10:52 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Action poi can take up some of the slack, they can load songs, play songs, turn on/off fx etc
dial work can also be automated but the script is pretty difficult.

I want to redo the slid3r padpage [moves fx sliders from one value to another over a number of beats, so could do some of the dial work] now we have "param_cast 'relative'"
it should be easier, but I look back at the wall of script and I've only half an idea what's happening

Posted Thu 06 Feb 20 @ 11:29 pm
Thanks both.

"DJ software is designed for live use [...]. If it’s too complex to perform live then you need [...] a DAW."
Good to know, instead of wondering if it is possible within VDJ. Thanks.

"Action poi can take up some of the slack, they can load songs, play songs, turn on/off fx etc". -- that may be enough to make it possible to perform / record live. Thanks.

Posted Fri 07 Feb 20 @ 3:30 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can use the automix editor to prepare the mix, then record it once you are happy with it

Posted Fri 07 Feb 20 @ 4:07 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I’ve done this with VDJ and Audacity to make medleys or mashups. I used VDJ for tempo matching multiple songs and mixing them, recording the output as a WAV file to avoid generational loss. I’ve then stitched together the various bits in Audacity to finish things off.

This works especially well when you are dealing with really short snippets of songs but need to match the tempos.

Posted Sat 08 Feb 20 @ 5:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)