Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Why can't ratings include half-stars?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I googled <virtual dj ratings "half stars"> and I searched these forums for "half stars". I didn't find anything saying it's possible. Why is it not possible? Might a future version of Virtual DJ allow for half-star ratings?

Posted Wed 05 Feb 20 @ 3:09 am
Why not quarters, eighths, sixteenths?

You have to stop somewhere. It's only a quick visual indicator.

If you want more accurate descriptions use a blank field for your comments.

Posted Wed 05 Feb 20 @ 7:09 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
just make it float ^^

Posted Wed 05 Feb 20 @ 7:13 am
@kradcliffe - why not quarters, eighths, sixteenths?
1. Because you can't at-a-glance easily see the difference between 3.75 and 3.875 stars, for example. Half-stars, on the other hand, would be good.
2. Because that level of precision is more trouble than it's worth. Half-stars, on the other hand, would be good.

The ratings don't affect anyone else, so it should be users'-choice whether to allow half-stars or not, right? I mean, Virtual DJ is designed for customization, so why aren't half-stars possible?

Posted Thu 06 Feb 20 @ 8:40 pm
@Nicotux, ... um, what? " just make it float ^^ "
Is the ^^ a symbol meaning "this is a joke"?
How does "floating" relate to star ratings?

Posted Thu 06 Feb 20 @ 8:42 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
float is a computer term for numbers with a decimal point, X.X stars would be a float, X is an integer

the question is does the id3v2 tagging support half stars?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3
The answer is no, to be fair... it could since rating info is held as a single byte 0-255 [so it couldn't be a float, just an enumerator over a range] but no software sets nor currently reads half star values.

personal opinion; star ratings as to how "good" a track is flawed, "goodness" is on the whole transient with time [and many other factors]. I see it better used as an energy indication.

Posted Fri 07 Feb 20 @ 3:42 am
MediaMonkey supports half-star ratings. It allows id3v1 and/or id3v2 tags.
I had tagging set to use both id3v1 and id3v2. I changed it to use only id3v2 tags, re-started the software, and it still accepts new half-star ratings.
Any idea how MediaMonkey handles half-stars?
I found some info on https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40532, about how scores in the POPM field ranging from 0-255 map to the # of stars, but to my knowledge this does not answer how MediaMonkey is able to handle half-stars when Virtual DJ cannot. (I read all the 1st page of comments.)

I like being able to sort a genre by rating. Helps me remember songs I might have otherwise forgotten.
If in one genre I have 100 5-star tracks, I would prefer to have 50 5-star and 50 4.5-star tracks.

I agree, in part, with your personal opinion. I have been wary about ratings, but although the awesomeness of a song depends on the context, most songs that I would flag 5 stars in 2010 I still consider 5 stars in 2020. If a track is a mega hit and all the dancers want to dance to it I still won't give it 4 or 5 stars if in my opinion it's really only a 3 or 3.5 -star song, when heard from some imaginary timeless [perspective].

MediaMonkey also allows sorting / filtering by Occasion and Mood. I suppose I could do something like that in User Field 1 and User Field 2. Or could VDJ incorporate whatever allows MediaMonkey to tag songs that way?

Posted Fri 07 Feb 20 @ 4:21 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I use MediaMonkey with VDJ but I am not near my computer at the moment to check this. IIRC, it uses a system similar to iTunes: 20 for one star and 100 for five. iTunes only allows full stars but MM also allows half stars using 10, 30, etc. I force all my MP3 tags to use ID3v2 and remove any v1s or other tags.

I pretty much use 0, 3, 4 and 5 myself as it’s just too many choices otherwise. But that’s my preference.

Posted Sat 08 Feb 20 @ 7:37 pm
Does any other DJ software use/support half stars? I doubt it. If it was a necessary thing that most DJs required, it would have been implemented already.

If you can't manage to rate something from one to five then the issue is not with the software... :-)

Posted Sat 08 Feb 20 @ 7:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)