Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: VDJ to Linux

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

BagundaHome userMember since 2011
Windows 10 are worse and worse.
It is no longer possible to work.
Often performance problems...
Sometimes you turn away - and PC go to reboots to update

Posted Sun 15 Sep 19 @ 7:28 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Linux won't happen, it just won't. Too many variations, user base too small to be worth the effort, and users would have to write their own HW drivers.
Windows 10 just set your connection to metered and you can put updates off until it suits you.

Posted Sun 15 Sep 19 @ 7:43 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
You can also set your working hours in Windows 10 and it won’t update during those hours.

I’ve found VDJ to be far more stable on Windows 10 than previous OS’s.

As always, keep backups of music and database just in case.

Posted Sun 15 Sep 19 @ 3:07 pm
Your comparing Linux which is an OS to Windows which is a GUI on top of an OS (dos). I've worked with Windows a long time and on Linux based machines for a number of years... You don't compare Linux to windows... not the same thing... You compare one of the Linux distros to Windows which are no match for windows.

Linux is indeed powerful but you would most likely not be dealing with that... You would be using one of the Distros... Distro is the name they use for the GUI distribution... Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc. You would be using one of these a GUI for the most part but you would still have to deal with linux command line on occasion... You would be doing sudo this, sudo that and would hate it... Microsoft puts a lot of the OS into Windows and you can thank god for that. There is more separation with Linux and it's GUIs. That is why you would need to deal with command line linux from time to time... Good luck...

Linux is developed by a number of companies and not just one... The Linux GUI's are developed by other companies. There is no one company to turn to.. you are on your own or if you have found new friends on the linux platform then maybe they can help. I worked with the Linux developers for quite some time and made some friends there...

I don't know what all the Linux OS can do... It can do a lot but mostly crude command line stuff. You may need to use it to install some things command line. Sometimes you might get lucky and have a shell file that does the work for you. A shell file in Linux is like a bat file in dos but more powerful. At times your going to suffer and hate it... Ok on to the GUI systems now...

I use the Ubuntu Distro as the GUI for Linux... You can choose from others... Ubuntu appears to be the most popular though. This was back when I was using Ubuntu 9 or something like that. The first thing I notice with the GUI is that it looks child like and clumsy... I see it has these weird scroll bars... That sucked... I found out later that these scroll bars were suppose to be the next new great thing... overlay scrollbars... they were in Ubuntu for a few years and also in Chrome and Firefox for windows.. There was switch to turn overlay scrollbars on. So they were completely stupid and stayed for quite awhile... They woke up and believe they are completely removed from Ubuntu and completely removed from Firefox and Chrome for windows. Just to say junk is part of what goes into the development. For a long time I am working on Ubuntu/Linux and windows everyday. When I am in Ubuntu I feel like I just stepped back in time 20 years..Back around 1991 or so, we switched from using a stand alone editor and separate compiler for development. We were fine with this but when MS DevStudio came out it was so much better that no one argued when moved our development to it.. No one wanted to do it the old way anymore. Funny thing is that many of the linux developers still do it the old way... They could use Eclipse which is good and similar to dev studio.. So apparently they just never tried a much better way... Goto linux to take a trip back in time... Nothing about linux... just the GUIs suck... Windows vs those GUIs wins hands down. At some point I did not need to work on Linux machine much anymore... So it had been awhile and I went to compile some stuff... None of the tools worked anymore... These developer tools tend to live on the internet and they are updated and downloaded on the fly as you use which is also scary. What happen is whoever is in change of these things for Ubuntu removed all the tool file directories for Ubuntu 8 or 9... forget... because there was a version 12... no notification nothing... It took awhile to figure out what happened... That's just plain stupid....

Yeah so just turn off windows updates... I am not here to promote Windows because it makes me mad sometimes too.. but Microsoft Windows is the most comprehensive I believe... Linux runs on a lot of machines but a lot of that is servers etc... Saying that windows runs on more hardware as a full pro GUI than anything else... Apple only deals with there own hardware... Windows runs on a great assortment of hardware... You won't see Apple running on an ATM for example...

Posted Thu 19 Sep 19 @ 8:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)