Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pitchlock turns itself off since b5180 - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

andy-chiles wrote :

So your argument is not valid.

Yes it is - if he installed this build (or these builds) without trying it/them first. If he had tested it/them at home before using live, he would have been familiar with the changes.

In a critical environment (like live club DJ) it's always best to be several builds behind, using a familar version that's been tested prior to use.

If you want to DJ with untested software, that's at your own risk.

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 1:29 pm
(Edited my previous comment, please read the added text if you haven't)

He didn't wrote a word about whether he was Djing with a EA or a Final build.
He could have tested it at home, but what if he just didn't had the case to change the mentioned changes at the test at home?
We can't check the whole software for changes everytime an update occurs.
We read the log and try the settings relaying on the log.
But if there is nothing in the log, somewhen we HAVE to discover it by our own... and this can happen unexpected.
Why don't just write about EVERY CHANGE in the log?

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 1:39 pm
djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
groovindj wrote :
Well, the first thing I'd say in reply to that is - why are you using a brand new untested (by you) build in a live environment?

Any updates you install should done when you're not working. When you have time to check them over to make sure everything works reliably and as expected.

TBH I'd say it's your fault for putting that build on your gig computer before you were familiar with it.

Your arrogance is beyond unbelievable!

How long do you recommend I practice with each new release at home in my study to see what things you may have changed without telling us each time you release a new build?

I always check the changelog and check out anything relevant that is mentioned there before I go live, but I am a busy professional who doesn't really have time to DJ at home just to see if there are any nasty surprises before I go to work.

But I have seen before from replies that the developers and their crew are arrogant, don't really care about the users, just want new toys for themselves and don't give a toss about the rest of us, so as long as you guys are alright eh!

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 1:48 pm
@andy

No, I didn't know about the changes at the time I posted the earier message - but the difference is that I was not out DJing in front of a crowd with unfamiliar software.

I agree that the changes were not listed, and ideally they should have been, but regardless.... you shouldn't use new builds for mission critical work. This is why hospitals, military, big businesses etc always use older computers and operating systems.

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 1:50 pm
groovindj wrote :
andy-chiles wrote :

Yes it is - if he installed this build (or these builds) without trying it/them first. If he had tested it/them at home before using live, he would have been familiar with the changes.

In a critical environment (like live club DJ) it's always best to be several builds behind, using a familar version that's been tested prior to use.

It don't matter how many builds behind I am, if you don't mention a change, how am I supposed to be aware of it.
I read the changelog what more do you expect people to do.

You can't be bothered to put it in the changelog so I must be bothered to dry run each build to find out what YOU couldn't be bothered to mention ... unbelievable

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 1:51 pm
groovindj wrote :
No, I didn't know about the changes at the time I posted the earier message - but the difference is that I was not out DJing in front of a crowd with unfamiliar software.

I agree that the changes were not listed, and ideally they should have been, but regardless.... you shouldn't use new builds for mission critical work. This is why hospitals, military, big businesses etc always use older computers and operating systems.

I understand your point, and this is right.
But you surely get the point that the software is very very very extensive and we can't check every detail of it on every update.
And this was not the first time that changes haven't been reported.
So please do that more accurate and more conscientious, to avoid us from unexpected behaviors of the software.

And if some users have really useful and legitimate ideas, please just don't be so kinda "hardlined"...
We all want a good tool, so work WITH us and our ideas.

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 1:56 pm
djkrysr wrote :

what more do you expect people to do.

I dunno. Maybe........use the software?

We're all in the same boat here. None of us knew the changes existed. However, some of us found out about them before putting the updated software on our gig machines. I mean, if these are thing that you regularly use, you would see that they had been moved from the menu, right?

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 1:57 pm
groovindj wrote :
andy-chiles wrote :

PS I'm not made of money here, I only have 1 laptop, I have to trust that when I update VDJ it will work and be bug free cause when I update it happens on my only laptop, the one I work on, the only one I own.
But hey, as long as you're ok

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 1:57 pm
If you want to risk gigging with no backup, then that's your choice. It's no one else's fault if something goes t**s up and you have nothing to fall back on.

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 2:00 pm
groovindj wrote :
I dunno. Maybe........use the software?

We're all in the same boat here. None of us knew the changes existed. However, some of us found out about them before putting the updated software on our gig machines. I mean, if these are thing that you regularly use, you would see that they had been moved from the menu, right?

Please go away, you are arrogant, nothing you say will have any meaning to me, you are arrogant. I cannot believe people like you exist but you do, so go away, please don't reply to my posts, I have NO INTEREST in what you say.

I could and will say it less politely if you need.

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 2:00 pm
Nooo need to go nuts around here guys...
Mistakes were made, and we can learn from it...
Is that ok for both sides?

Just report every change accurate and listen to your users for ideas and improvement suggestions, as this is one of them...
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 2:06 pm
andy-chiles wrote :
Nooo need to go nuts around here guys...
Mistakes were made, and we can learn from it...
Is that ok for both sides?

Just report every change accurate and listen to your users for ideas and improvement suggestions, as this is one of them...
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

But lessons won't be learnt because this happens all the time, if you ever have the time go reading through the "community" posts, 5* users talk down to the rest and never change their position, they never accept they could have done it better for the users or accept some people do things different to them.
It is the same old story time after time. It's not a community here it's totalitarian.

Posted Sat 10 Aug 19 @ 2:17 pm
I'm just now seeing this change with 2020 as I hadn't updated for awhile and I have to say I hate it. Has there been a fix? Pitch-lock is connected to a global quanatized environment, it shouldn't be disabled when you load a track in that environment. I understand the idea behind it but it should be able to be an option since this is how Pitch-lock has worked for years. I understand it may have been an unintended bug and that's what I am going to assume instead of that a significant design feature was changed and no one bothered to write it in the changelog.

PS. I missed how this conversation steered towards production vs test environments. I am testing this change and I don't like it. Whether someone found the issue during a gig or during testing doesn't negate their ability to disagree with said change.

Posted Fri 04 Oct 19 @ 3:24 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)