Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Lighting control, DMX with VDJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello, I'm trying to find out if there's a seamless way to control DMX light systems with VDJ. What I'd love to do is create a light show for each video file using freestyler or something sim and when I play a video file on VDJ, freestyler would automatically run the corresponding show for that file.

I know I can create a light show for each file and play it via freestyler but is there away to make it automatic? Each video would have it's own unique light show.

I have also read how to setup the plugin for VDJ to work off the beats in a video file, set to sound activated. But this is not what I'd like to do.

Any ideas.?

Posted Thu 21 Mar 19 @ 11:11 pm
Sound Switch is probably what you should look into.

It’s an awesome program!

Posted Thu 21 Mar 19 @ 11:52 pm
Wow, that looks like what we are looking for.

Posted Fri 22 Mar 19 @ 3:30 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :

It’s an awesome program!

IF AND ONLY IF YOU USE A MAC. Windows and SS are not very compatible despite what you might here. The software is barely windows compatible, is NOT VDJ compatible out of the box, and typically requires you to jump through hoops, and then call SS tech support for them to log into your system and configure. Usually this does not work either. MAC MAC... no windows.

Posted Fri 22 Mar 19 @ 5:29 pm
Don't want to get into a MAC vs Windows debate here, but we spent $2600 on a macbook pro 8 yrs ago and because of forced updates it's completely useless today. PC's do not do this, you can use them setup just as they are forever.

I'll check with SS and verify if they can work with a PC.

Is there any other options like SS Because they have exactly what we are looking for?

Posted Sat 23 Mar 19 @ 3:48 pm

Posted Sat 23 Mar 19 @ 4:11 pm
burnyabad wrote :
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :

It’s an awesome program!

IF AND ONLY IF YOU USE A MAC. Windows and SS are not very compatible despite what you might here. The software is barely windows compatible, is NOT VDJ compatible out of the box, and typically requires you to jump through hoops, and then call SS tech support for them to log into your system and configure. Usually this does not work either. MAC MAC... no windows.

Yeah I don’t know what happened on your machine but I’ll definitely check it out tomorrow because they do work with Window machines..

Edit,

Was sitting here at home so I pulled out my Windows laptop, went to the SS webpage, downloaded and installed the software ware, added some lights, auto scripted a few tracks and opened VDJ and played the scripted tracks with no problem at all.

I’m gonna say it’s user error maybe because I literally just did this all in 20 minutes..... it works on the Windows side as well....

Posted Sat 23 Mar 19 @ 8:12 pm

Posted Sat 23 Mar 19 @ 8:57 pm
Today i have look short in SoundSwitch 1.8 and VDJ 2018 Buildt 4787and they can not find my VDJ Music Library.

Self with Local Music Folder and iTunes Folder.

What goes wrong there.
Have some things testet but no Track will load or come from VDJ in Soundswitch.

Plugins:
Soundswitch plugin.dll is in Autostartfolder.
Think with ableton link plugin they goes too.

Use a Lenovo Tiny M73 Mini PC with i3 2,9ghz. Win 10 Pro 64

I go now sleep and look into it tomorrow
Good Night.

Thanks forward for help and tips

Posted Sun 24 Mar 19 @ 1:19 am
TimberHouse wrote :
After looking for a answer to SS and PC options I found a link

https://support.soundswitch.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002557212-Virtual-DJ-Plugin-Installation

Sound like adding a SS plugin to VDJ is the same as any other plugin???

I was an early adopter for sound switch. I tried everything on 2 pcs to get this working. SS techs remoted into my system and also configured it and it still did not properly work. I gave up and went back to my showxpress and have not looked back.

Posted Mon 25 Mar 19 @ 6:47 pm
Working just fine on my Asus Windows machine.....

Posted Tue 26 Mar 19 @ 7:23 pm
Glad you have a working sound switch. Not happy that I went through hell with 2 brand new pcs and has zilch results with it. I have used three dmx programs with 100% success, and I really wanted ss to work

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 9:01 pm
gmediaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I just made a detailed SoundSwitch review post here:

https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/221632/VirtualDJ_Plugins/SoundSwitch.html

I pulled the plug on SS, but now they have a 2.XX version, the price has been cut in half, and the hardware is more sleek. I have been using SS, MyDMX 3.0, and MyDMX Go. I think SS is ready for prime-time, and I now can endorse it. There are a few updates/improvements I would like, but it is a game changer for me.

Chris

Posted Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 9:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)