Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: OS2L

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

JuskiPRO SubscriberMember since 2016
Hi everyone I saw in the VDJ2018 release notes for the latest early version that OS2L support has been added into VirtualDJ. This is huge news! But, on searching around all I can find out about OS2L regarding DMX is a 2 post thread on the qlcplus forum about the possibility of adding OS2L protocol support into qlc+.

What I'm interested to know is, how does this integration work (i.e. will we be able to set POIs for commands as we do with freestyler plugins etc?) - and which other lighting control platforms already support OS2L ?

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 8:54 pm
See this thread. Basically there's (apparently) only one DMX software that has OS2L right now, at a $529+tax minimum cost.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 9:10 pm
The protocol is described here: http://os2l.org/
There are at least 3 other software that we know of that are about to include OS2L in their next release.

And yes, in VirtualDJ, you can use it live by using the pads to quickly change scenes or activate strobes or blackouts, but you can also set "action" POIs, with the vdjscript osl_cmd "buttonname", to activate specific scenes at specific points in the song.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 9:35 pm
can you tell us the three other software makers. I've looked all day in google to no avail. Thank you

Posted Fri 08 Jun 18 @ 1:21 am
its a new standard, will take a few months for the leading packages to catch up !

If your using DMX at the moment I would send an email to the support department of the package your currently using , they will only implement new features if they are getting asked for them !

Posted Fri 08 Jun 18 @ 8:16 am
It's far from new. The QLC forum thread I found was posted in January.

For what it's worth I've invested a lot of time into my lighting with QLC+ & I won't be in a massive hurry to change.

With artnet coming out of vdj it's relatively easy to do stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEYvzIX6a4Q

But, any native addition to VDJ can only be viewed as a big step forward. I can see the advantages in having autodiscovery to simplify configuration (and the support burden).

I look forward to seeing support emerging from other dmx software.

Certainly OS2L doesn't offer anything that isn't currently possible with plugins but official, native support is a great thing to see.

Posted Fri 08 Jun 18 @ 8:32 am
Hi!.. so.. we can do use VDJ8 with QLC+ or not??

Posted Fri 29 Jun 18 @ 2:36 pm
QLC+ does not support OS2L & it's not likely it will for a long time. Until then you can use the VDJArtnet plugin, which isn't quite ready to be an official plugin yet.

Posted Sun 22 Jul 18 @ 9:36 pm
jem24hPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Does anyone know if Daslight 4 will be one of the 3 to deploy OS2L ?
Man, this would be awesome!

Posted Sun 13 Jan 19 @ 10:03 pm
jem24hPRO InfinityMember since 2009
What about Onyx (who used to be MARTIN MPC), this would be awesome too ! :)

Posted Sun 13 Jan 19 @ 10:05 pm
jem24h wrote :
What about Onyx (who used to be MARTIN MPC), this would be awesome too ! :)

I also use Onyx and find it easier to work with. Is there a way to interface Onyx like Freestyler or Sunlite?

Posted Sat 02 Mar 19 @ 12:59 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)