Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Script School - Page: 37.25
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
reading, asking questions, and keep trying stuff long after a sensible person would have found something better to do.

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 4:47 pm
Baldy68PRO InfinityMember since 2019
locodog wrote :
reading, asking questions, and keep trying stuff long after a sensible person would have found something better to do.

Hahaha, yeah I don't know how many hours I spent before I gave up and asked here!
Since I got your attention could you point me in the direction how to make an effect (I will use very specific VST-plugin dub reggae effects to make it as true to a real dubstation as possible) applied to just one or in my case a pair of stems?

Can I donate money to you in some way? I really REALLY appreciate the insane work and time you must have spent with all this knowledge, to share it for free!

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 5:36 pm
Wow thanks, the beer fund is always open,
ThrowInToBeerFund

deck 1 effect_active vocals echo & deck 2 effect_active vocals echo
this would turn echo effect on the vocal stems
if you look up the script description for effect_stems you can see the names used for stem effect slots [except for some reason they chose "vocals" for vocal, I don't know why]

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 5:56 pm
This didn't work, maybe since I use knobs to control it?
"deck 1 effect_active vocals echo & deck 2 effect_active vocals echo"
Probably I wasn't clear enough. My knobs shows up as sliders in mapping software.

EDIT:
Actually this did work after I restarted VDJ, lesson learned. :-D
"Deck 1 effect_slider 1 1 & effect_stems Bass on & Deck 2 effect_slider 1 1 & effect_stems Bass on"

I sent some pennies for beer, but don't get too drunk yet! lol.

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 7:30 pm
thank you very much,
I think see the problem, you're calling effect_stems after ? I think

Deck 1 effect_stems Bass on & effect_slider 1 1 & Deck 2 & effect_stems Bass on & effect_slider 1 1
maybe that

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 7:44 pm
Tryed that also, it seemed to work for a while but no. Maybe the effects I use isn't the right ones to send to stems only? I am trying now with default Echo, Reverb and Flanger, but it affects all stems whatever I do. I give up for today. This is an example of the code I use now:
Deck 1 effect_stems Bass on & effect_slider 1 1 & Deck 2 effect_slider 1 1 & effect_stems Bass on

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 9:42 pm
I see, effect_stems is sending all fx to the designated stem

deck 1 effect_active 'bass' 'echo' on & deck 2 effect_active 'bass' 'echo' on
to send bass to echo fx

deck 1 effect_slider 'bass' 'echo' 1 & deck 2 effect_active 'bass' 'echo' 1
to control the echo fx on the bass stem slot, dial 1

you can combine these two scripts with &

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 10:24 pm
Happens nothing with those code lines. :-/

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 7:40 am
More peculiar things that doesn't function is the corresponding function for Bass and Instrument, since those still are Gain and Filter there are no kill function for them as with eq_kill_low/mid/high. I want a mute and solo button for each stem...

deck 1 eq_kill_filter & Deck 2 eq_kill_filter <----Doesn't work, lol

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:07 am
filter_activate
that turns the color dial on/off

working out gremlins here myself, will be back.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:34 am
try again but use this first to see if you get movement.

deck 1 effect_show_gui 'bass' 'echo' & deck 2 effect_show_gui 'bass' 'echo'

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:47 am
Thank you again, this works fine: Deck 1 filter_activate & Deck 2 filter_activate

This doesn't though: Deck 1 gain_activate & Deck 2 gain_activate

And still no movement at all with: deck 1 effect_show_gui 'bass' 'echo' & deck 2 effect_show_gui 'bass' 'echo'

No hurry man :-)

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 9:03 am
stem_pad isolate 'vocal'
stem_pad 'vocal'

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 9:21 am
Got all mutes and solos to work, thx again. But whatever I do I can't get the FX to work on stems only. Now I need a break, I'm going mad. This isn't the most user-friendly scripting I have encountered, to say the least, lol. But I am sure it must be doable somehow! Maybe with a lot of nothing again? haha

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 12:30 pm
Ok, I did a quick sketch to show how my "proof of concept" looks like for the moment. This layout is only to test if the concept is even possible to do on VDJ only. If it is I will make a proper hardware controller (Dubstation). The picture is absolutely horrible, I couldn't get the grid or straight lines to work in GIMP image editor. LOL But hopefully you will understand what I am after. I got everything to work except the 5x3 (15) knobs with Stem in the label that effect the full song for the moment, and not the specific stem as I want it to do.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 23 @ 1:17 pm
yeah that can be done.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 23 @ 1:21 pm
Got it to work with your latest contribution! Thank you so much Locodog! :-D
working-----> deck 1 effect_active "Vocals" "echo" on & deck 1 effect_slider "Vocals" "echo" 1

Posted Wed 30 Aug 23 @ 1:40 pm
After "stresstesting" I noticed the effects hangs pretty often, and I must use "reset all" to get the effects to stop. Can this have anything to do with that I use this line for the FX to activate with a knob and control the intensity:
deck 1 effect_active "Vocals" "echo" on & deck 1 effect_slider "Vocals" "echo" 1 & deck 2 effect_active "Vocals" "echo" on & deck 2 effect_slider "Vocals" "echo" 1

And that I use this script for the other parameters (3 extra knobs for every effect) for the effect:
Deck 1 effect_slider 1 2 & Deck 2 effect_slider 1 2

If I remove the "effect_active" from the first script and enable the effect from a button with the script: Deck 1 effect_active 1 & Deck 2 effect_active 1 Then it enable the effect in the slot, and when I use the knob the effect affect all stems instead of only one. This is very confusing.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 23 @ 5:16 pm
to turn switch effect for stem slot by button

deck 1 effect_active "Vocals" "echo" & deck 2 effect_active "Vocals" "echo"

Posted Fri 01 Sep 23 @ 7:38 pm
That kind of works, but then I must have 15 on/off buttons (5 stems*3 FX) not very intuitive. Hmm...

Posted Sat 02 Sep 23 @ 11:59 am
82%