Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Am I a bad DJ if my transitions last less than a minute or mostly 30 seconds ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does it make me a bad DJ if my transitions are really fast, like in and out in less than 30 seconds in most cases ? How long should a transition be ?

Posted Fri 13 Apr 18 @ 7:08 am
No rules - but it depends on your style of music

For house they are often looooooong
For pop they are usually pretty short, depending if you have extended versions of tracks
For rock, they are often really short - sometimes just drops
For open format, like most mobile DJ's play, they are a mix - but if you DJ a wedding or a company event, very few guests want to hear long transitions. They want to listen/dance to the right track - and if the transition to the track is smooth that's a bonus. In those cases 30 sec is a long transition

Posted Fri 13 Apr 18 @ 8:17 am
I mix drum and bass, lots of frequencies, can easily converge on each other no matter how you select the tracks, thanks for the advice, what do you think regarding drum and bass though ?

Posted Fri 13 Apr 18 @ 8:21 am
Sorry, can't help you much with that
I live in Copenhagen and there are no drum and bass places/clubs here
And I've never been asked to play a drum and bass gigs as a mobile DJ

Posted Fri 13 Apr 18 @ 9:26 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Your description sounds a bit A to B, which can get a bit boring (to be honest 2 hours of any single genre tests my interest) with d&b I like chop mixing, ( xf full left for 8 full right for 8) some tracks will work some won't.

Perhaps come back to the out going track after you've fully established the new track, so mix as you do, as a is mixed out use the script

goto +32

You might have to hit it a few times to move track a to a bassless outro drum section then cut that back in full chop or half chop.

3rd having a pad page with several goto (+ & - )
there's many numbers to use from 8 to 256 and you can live re-edit a track (Or practice and use routine to make a re-edit)

One way to stay original whilst playing the crowd pleasers is give the crowd what they know in a way they've never known it.

Posted Fri 13 Apr 18 @ 3:51 pm
This is your third thread about mixing D&B. Please continue this conversation in one of you other threads, thank you.

Locked by AMAHM

Posted Fri 13 Apr 18 @ 5:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)