Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: When audio starts before video in a video file, green is displayed.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When the audio starts before the video, green or junk is displayed at first. What ever is left in the texture or surface is what gets displayed. Format or container do not seem relevant. So when video is delayed relative to audio.

This particular one goes a little crazy at first with flashing green. Most videos i have of this nature just display a solid green though. Not sure when this started happening. Happens with dxva on or off. All the videos play fine outside of VDJ8.

windows 7, b3921

http://www.tellyvisuals.com/dolby_aurora.zip

Posted Thu 28 Sep 17 @ 8:18 pm
working on win10 laptop (b3925) but won't be able to test on win7 desktop til after 2am.
i have however seen similar happen on the win7 desktop with older .vob video files that had issues with playback and ripping and will occasionally show the green or junk screen at first but after cueing / pressing play in non-playing deck would be fine for playback when it was time.

Posted Fri 29 Sep 17 @ 1:05 am
Once the time catches up to the video which is delayed then green goes away because it has something to display. That is an easy fix but right now they are displaying something that has not been initialized to anything so has junk in it. (green or whatever). Then when it goes back to beginning after playing, whatever was played last remains on screen. That is a VDJ8 bug that has been introduced somewhere along the line because it did not do that before. Also it is not restricted to just VOB since I have other formats that do it too. I am guessing it probably has nothing to do with the video format and everything to do when audio starts before video in any file and only in VDJ8. This case does not happen a lot but it is not like it is rare either.

Not restricted to VOB as mentioned but I put that VOB up because it is a little more funky with flashing green than the others that display solid green. If you think you need other samples then ask. The windows version should not be relevant since it is not windows decoding and displaying the video (speaking for TM and assume same is true for VDJ8). The same videos display fine in VDJ7 or when using TM in 7 or 8 or any other video player I have outside of VDJ8.

If it does not display green you may be lucky with surfaced being initialized to something besides green by driver but the problem will most likely still be there and just a little harder to detect. If you don't seen green when video if first loaded, let it play to end or seek to near end and when it loops back and stops, it should be displaying last frame of video that was displayed which is not what it should do.

Posted Fri 29 Sep 17 @ 3:01 am
tested aurora file in club pc (b3848) before opening. it acts just like some of the older .vob files i have that wouldn't convert to mp4. and when i tried to record in vdj it wouldnt in either video recording format. the green is definitely there at first but after clicking play it and then stopping it it would do two different things: it would either go to black and have a green flash on start or be green and immediately go with normal playback on start. either way in real world use there would be very few instances of anyone starting the file from the video only part without cueing up to the very start of the video or audio. and cueing to the first bit of video isn't practical when you don't want dead air.
generally speaking we set first cue to first bit of audio in track.

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 1:07 am
Again, it is not just a problem with VOB so don't focus on that. The flashing in the VOB might be related to some problem specific to VOB but the green (or junk) display happens with other file formats. Sometimes when it goes back to the beginning the green displays again and sometimes whatever displayed last is still showing.

wildcountryclub wrote :
either way in real world use there would be very few instances of anyone starting the file from the video only part without cueing up to the very start of the video or audio. and cueing to the first bit of video isn't practical when you don't want dead air generally speaking we set first cue to first bit of audio in track.

John, John, John :) Not a reason to not fix the thing... You always want to fix most bugs to the degree possible. A bug like this would just been handed to a developer to be fixed and no discussion about it's worth would be needed. There are a number of reasons. 1) it can make the program or user look bad 2) If not fixed, then when someone else runs into it, they get to post and wonder all over again and goes on forever wasting time. 3) Sometimes any bug can point to a larger problem (probably not in this case but you never know)

No body I know would try to rationalize not fixing it... Not difficult. You would be surprised what testers report I am sure and everything needed to be checked off. Not every one needed fixing though. In that case I would sign off on it with a butt and arrow pointing to it. ( | ) < This is not one of those cases though.

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 2:43 am
Seems someone has coded it to be green or olive when no video data is available for the audio stream. Wouldn't have black been a better choice.

I've seen this too. It's annoying but my customers don't see it so I just left it.

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 7:40 am
No kym, there are no video frames at all that cover the start of the video.The first video frame starts about 1/3 second into the video... This delay can be any amount of time. VDJ8 is apparently allocating the memory and displaying it without initializing the memory so green or junk is displayed.. Simply a bug in VDJ8. No other player I have has any problem with these conditions. I am guessing that is the problem for VDJ8.

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 8:34 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Thanks for reporting, will be fixed.

Posted Sat 30 Sep 17 @ 10:03 am
The green is gone but still not right. The sample I posted more or less works but it to still has problems as do some others I have... Will post some more samples when I have the chance. Briefly there is flicker and some stale image being displayed but more later with some samples that show that better.

Posted Wed 04 Oct 17 @ 8:11 pm
This one shows pretty clearly that a stale frame is still displayed when video is looped back to start. It is interlaced and video is delayed relative to audio. It also displayed green prior to your fix for that, but still displays stale images when looped back. So apparently multiple problems. The others I have produce flicker and also display stale frames but try this one first. There is no black at beginning or end so makes it easier. Let me know when you download it so I can remove it from server please.

When first started it shows the correct frame. But anyway you jump back to start, by playing to end, or clicking stop twice after playing some, it displays an incorrect frame.

about 95 meg.

[Moderator] http link hidden, available for dev team only

Posted Thu 05 Oct 17 @ 3:32 am
I assume you have the video and I can remove it from the server now?

Posted Fri 06 Oct 17 @ 1:42 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes I got it, thanks

Posted Fri 06 Oct 17 @ 3:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)