Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [NEW] Pioneer DDJ-XP1 pad controller - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I was originally looking at getting this

It's the Hercules P32.

It's basically the same price and still is a viable option for me...... dammit!! Why does my nearest Guitar Center have to be an hour and a half away, lol!!

Posted Thu 14 Sep 17 @ 5:42 pm
Hell, at those prices just get both! Then if you find yourself favouring one over the other, pass the unloved one on to someone else.

Posted Thu 14 Sep 17 @ 5:46 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

I would go a step further and say that as well as a level control for samples, you need an EQ, and accessible FX. You need ways to introduce and lose samples beyond velocity sensitive pads and finger drumming.

I get the impression that Pioneer is trying to sell the workflow of 4 CDJ/XDJ decks with one of their 4 channel mixers, so you pretty much have full control of samples in that environment, because the implementation on their controllers is somewhat limited.

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 11:29 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
@bagpuss. +1

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 11:45 am
Just a thought..I often use the quite sophisticated echo and reverb hardware effects on my Peavey main mixer. What if the sampler was routed to an independent mixer channel? We then could have increased eq and effect control. Perhaps the laptop onboard sound card could simply provide the extra audio channel?

I've just checked that it can be done.. however vdj needs to be in 4 deck mode with the sampler output sent to a dedicated deck, either deck 3 or 4.
I wonder if using different sound cards like I did long ago still messes up the audio?

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 12:40 pm
bigron1 wrote :
Just a thought..I often use the quite sophisticated echo and reverb hardware effects on my Peavey main mixer. What if the sampler was routed to an independent mixer channel? We then could have increased eq and effect control. Perhaps the laptop onboard sound card could simply provide the extra audio channel?

I've just checked that it can be done.. however vdj needs to be in 4 deck mode with the sampler output sent to a dedicated deck, either deck 3 or 4.
I wonder if using different sound cards like I did long ago still messes up the audio?

Routing the samples through the decks is exactly what I do and have been doing...

And yes you can use multiple sound cards (route your samples into/out of the other soundcard) but then that's just another component that can crash and burn.

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 1:49 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can also add a dedicated sampler output in your sound config, without going through a deck. (If you don't want to run a 4-deck skin just for the sampler)

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 1:59 pm
Thank you Beatbreaker !

..and there I was thinking a 4 deck controller wasn't that useful if you had a sampler.

..and thank you Adion !

This is a good day.

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 2:04 pm
Using just 2 decks and the sampler being channeled through the laptop sound card works well.
Heavy mixer hardware reverb/echo on the drums and high hats sounds awesome.

Not quite right.. the sampler is also coming through the master channel. It's the right sort of idea.

I can only get Beatbreakers method to work.

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 4:20 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Maybe a new topic should be opened about this SAMPLER ROUTING...

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 6:30 pm
Not like Ron to drag something off topic now, is it?

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 6:56 pm

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 7:16 pm
Nothing really new there but thanks for the link.

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 8:39 pm
Yeah, product info is pretty much the same.
There's a bit of a comments on the bottom though.

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 10:26 pm
Ah man Remix decks...but ill stay quiet

Posted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 11:05 pm
I've just discovered that the CDJ-2000NXS2 has already had its firmware upgraded to support this unit for hot cues etc.

The SP1 had this ability too, and could also be used with the XDJ-1000mk2.

No firmware upgrade yet for the XDJ...

Posted Mon 18 Sep 17 @ 6:26 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

Just a matter of time, once the daylight goes I'll put my coding hat back on, maybe atomix could help with a smartplay/cue option. Lead & lag like present and new option lead only.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 17 @ 6:45 pm
groovindj wrote :
The SP1 had this ability too, and could also be used with the XDJ-1000mk2.

No firmware upgrade yet for the XDJ...

I've asked the Dutch Pioneer representative and he could not tell me yet if the unit works when it's connected to the xdj-1000mk2 USB port without using a laptop like the sp1 could.
At the Pioneer site, you only see the cdj2000nxs2 and the plx1000 turntable as compatible with the xp1....

Posted Mon 18 Sep 17 @ 6:54 pm
locodog wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

Just a matter of time, once the daylight goes I'll put my coding hat back on, maybe atomix could help with a smartplay/cue option. Lead & lag like present and new option lead only.

Well rekordbox 5 has a version of remix decks...why?. because its a kicka** feature and with this pads on everything soon to be a standard...well I guess some dont realize this...

Posted Mon 18 Sep 17 @ 11:47 pm
locodog wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

Could you explain the feature set needed before you can call something remix decks (compared to regular deck looping/jumping, sample banks (on decks), sequencers, routine/flip - all that stuff)? Is there like a specific definition?
I played with it in Traktor waaaay back, but never really saw the light, I guess...

Posted Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 3:52 am
67%