Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ Forum - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bigron1 wrote :
This place should be alive with newbies seeking knowledge. .

Define what a newbie is in your eyes. What level of experience if any? How much should he pay for speakers, audio library, computer, software, etc. ?

You have only focused on using a Intel integrated computer and optimizing video so he could maybe squeak by. You think the new comer (however defined) is up to that? Or should he focus his attention on his vibe and basic needs without throwing a wench into the mix?

If I want to learn about something I want to know what the low and high ends are even if I am dirt poor. I look at the equipment post here not because I am going to buy them but just out of interest.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 6:33 pm
Don Moir wrote :
throwing a wench into the mix

LOL I like that image. :-)

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 6:36 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I don't want to argue with you Don. I'll say this...a professional person takes a long time to train. You yourself as a programmer will have started with the basics. It's the same for all the professions. A DJ should be no different. A newbie is a beginner, an apprentice to perhaps this forum. Basic equipment is enough to start on a long road. It will be many years before they mature and any equipment that they bought at the start will probably be obsolete.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 7:54 pm
groovindj wrote :
It wouldn't hurt to promote this forum on the VDJ Facebook & Twitter pages.

I guess that many of the TwitFace posts are down to the GUI simply being more convenient for people who post from their phones with an app. I can certainly say that trying to use this forum on my iPhone is not a pleasant experience. Too small.

On the iPad (bigger screen) it's more comfortable but I much prefer using a real QWERTY keyboard, mouse and my 32" screen.

i'm not sure what rock you've been living under but its time to wake up a little and crawl out and see that you,while knowledgeable about a few things, need to wake up and see a few things.
the staff and many other users who are active on the Facebook groups (official and otherwise) CONSTANTLY redirect them to the website for information, plug-ins, the manual, and tech support and we also have to remind them that there is a big difference between social media and a company's website.

and I have no problems whatsoever navigating the website on my phone or tablet.

as for some of your other comments I've read here... this is the only thing that came to mind:

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 8:12 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
the staff and many other users who are active on the Facebook groups (official and otherwise) CONSTANTLY redirect them to the website

OK well that's great. I wouldn't know, because I don't do Facebook.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 9:06 pm
It is not about an argument Ron. The programmers would seem to be arguing all day but it was not about that and all laughing and having a beer after work. Sure the new comers need to learn but that can be all over the place and I guess the assumption is they know something but god only knows what that expectation might be. I would like to know what you all think that should be seriously. I can imagine that at least some of you got started around your friends and grew from that I bet there are some good stories to tell.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 9:10 pm
@Don
I have no expectation of a newbie other than their ability to press a play button and have a basic knowledge of English / Computers.
My story is rather sad, and a bit painful..are you sure that's what you want?
Note: I've done two well known national conventions and a music festival in the last year..I'm not looking for sympathy.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 10:15 pm
groovindj wrote :
wildcountryclub wrote :
the staff and many other users who are active on the Facebook groups (official and otherwise) CONSTANTLY redirect them to the website

OK well that's great. I wouldn't know, because I don't do Facebook.

then how the bloody hell do you keep up with what your clients, customers, and general public are thinking? as a dj you should be using EVERY weapon at your disposal to get in your customers heads BEFORE they show up! I do insane amounts of research every night to get in their heads and give them the best possible product the club can offer the next night, the next week, and at anytime I have people in the club.

this is NOT about being one of the faceless masses controlled by INGSOC... or about the 'sheeple' ... this is about doing what you are supposed to do: read the crowd. it doesn't stop when you play the last song. it doesn't stop when you leave the club, it bloody well NEVER stops!
most of the experienced dj's here know you can be one of the best technical mixers in the world and still lose the crowd in a second if you aren't playing what they want.

as for the rest. there will always be newbies, both bedroom dj's and even experienced dj's. I've been doing this 26 years and guess what? I consider myself a 'newbie' and will grab at any piece of information I can glean from any where that will help me do better as a dj. new info on equipment whether I can afford it or the club is going to buy it? I still want to know! new tech in the dj world that will enhance the customer experience? I REALLY want to know about it!

as far as sad stories go - we all have them. that's on you. my personal life notwithstanding I am a bloody trainwreck hauling nitroglycerine on a rollercoaster with termites. and NONE OF IT MATTERS TO THE PEOPLE ON THE DANCEFLOOR.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 10:54 pm
@djdad

Maybe a forum "Newbie Corner" might help?
It's possible that if the newbies did appear in large numbers then they might disrupt the main Discussion Forum.
I suppose I'd reside in such a place.. which gets me out of your way. Others would be needed..but there are many good people and perhaps Phantom and Locodog could help with scripting when needed.

Just a thought.

PS I don't think in the way you or amahm suspect.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 11:05 pm
+1 it doesn't stop when you leave the club, it bloody well NEVER stops!

..but I love it !

+1 I consider myself a 'newbie'

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 11:19 pm
Ron, your last post was moderated for violating the forums consecutive post rule.

Posted Fri 18 Aug 17 @ 7:43 am
wildcountryclub wrote :

then how the bloody hell do you keep up with what your clients, customers, and general public are thinking?

I do have a Facebook account - because unfortunately some people seem to live, sleep, eat and breathe on there, and my account's really only there as a last resort if it becomes absolutely necessary. It's very rarely used though, and IMO I'm managing perfectly well without spending every last waking hour using it!

There are plenty of other ways of keeping in touch with people and with music, which work just fine.

Posted Fri 18 Aug 17 @ 5:26 pm
I'm resisting the easy option that is Facebook because:

A website with a SEO strategy is a superior advertising tool, and that does not mean you put all your faith in Google, they often changes their search parameters. A properly constructed website in accordance with the W3c standard is attractive to our world.

Corporate communication including invoicing is done via email.

One to one instant communication is best done via a phone, or text should you wish a record.

Reading a crowd is exactly that..and I doubt your qualifications Wildcountryboy. You work in the same club, week in, week out. The same type of people will appear and the way you speak about your employers clients makes me suspect their often drunken. I doubt you work with political organizations, or TV personalities, or get approached by TV companies. Some DJ's deal with the full range of people, from drunk to politician and back down to the druggie. You have shown your limited experience.

Note: Another reason why I don't use Facebook is because it's to easy to commit to a position that causes conflict..like here ! All my public statements are carefully considered whereas here I ramble on in the hope of helping, and as a result I often learn ! This is not my public face..it's my learning face !

Posted Sat 19 Aug 17 @ 12:21 pm

1 - my customer base is beyond diverse and it is not up to you do assume a damn thing about them or any one else.
2 - I was not always in this club. and even before clubs I had done both the radio and tv personality bit, worked at 2 different tv stations, 3 radio stations, dealt with more politicians than i can even remember at various state and local levels in more than one state, still deal with a few local politicians on a regular basis, have produced, sold, and directed advertising for both tv and radio (and am bloody glad I DON'T do that anymore), and I much prefer the honest drunk to many sober people I know.
my 'limited experience' notwithstanding, I know where I stand, who I play for, and why.
so feel free to live in your isolated fantasy. i'll face the real world on my own terms as I see fit.

and if you really want to resort to personal attacks here then I suggest you may just want to up-armor your thin skin.

Posted Sat 19 Aug 17 @ 12:43 pm
You're being silly.

free to live in your isolated fantasy.

My world is open, and not limited like your club.
You're the one who got pompous, anyway stick with Facebook since it's your level.
All your comments have constructed a picture of you, and your employers club.

I know where I stand, who I play for, and why.

That is fine, and I'm sure you're as good as there is at the job you do, I never doubted that for a moment.

Posted Sat 19 Aug 17 @ 12:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)