Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Question: VDJ8.2 + DDJ RZ Audio Setup

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey there,

I have a question regarding an audio set-up I use that is probably not so common.

I am using the DDJ-RZ in [External Mixer Mode] with a Laptop that has an USB Surround Headphone plugged into it. I cant really use speakers where I live, cause I would get a lot of complaints from my neighbour probably ;)

My Problem is when I use the DDJ-RZ Asio on Master (OUT 1 & 2) I dont have any sound on my Laptop. When I add a 2nd Master Channel and Assign the USB Audio Device from my Laptop I do have sound, but the Color FX Section isnt working properly. I can only use Filter & Pitch. Jet & Space arent working on my USB Headphones but they do on the Headphones connected to the Controller.

When I start Rekordbox I do have sound via my USB Headphones and the Color FX is working properly. The Rekordbox Sound options look a little different tho. I can assign Master DDJ-RZ Asio + USB Audio Device on one line (OUT 1 & 2)

On Virtual DJ I dont seem to have theese options. Am I overlooking something? Would be happy to get some advice on that matter.

Posted Thu 03 Aug 17 @ 8:11 am
If you're using an RZ then you should have headphones plugged into the RZ, not your laptop.

That's the whole idea of having a controller with an onboard audio interface. It's higher quality than the laptop audio, it's low latency and it's multi channel (outputting both the main signal and the headphone cue signal).

Use a normal pair of headphones and plug them into the RZ. :-)

Posted Thu 03 Aug 17 @ 8:15 am
I have Headphones plugged into my RZ. So I am basically doing it wrong by using 2 pairs of Headphones (One for Prelistening and one to listen to the Master Output)?

Posted Thu 03 Aug 17 @ 8:23 am
Two pairs? There's no need for two pairs!

The headphone cue area on most DJ mixers & controllers allows you to listen to the main output and to cue at the same time. This is why there's a 'mixing' knob in the headphones area. It blends the signals from master and cue, so you can listen to both.

Posted Thu 03 Aug 17 @ 8:28 am
Always thought the headphones in the mixer are really just used for cueing as I rarely see someone having his headphones on all the time, but yeah usually theres speakers like a friend of mine uses Speakers + Headphones on his Setup, so my thought was instead of Speaker I use an additonal pair of headphones.

Oh life can sometimes be more simple then one thinks.

Thanks for the heads up. I feel a bit stupid now ^^

Posted Thu 03 Aug 17 @ 8:36 am
In a club environment it's not always possible to hear the main speakers clearly, so there has to be a way of hearing the master output plus the cue in the headphones.

This means the DJ can hear all the music and be able to mix without relying on speakers.

By the way, did you know there's a firmware update for the RZ (v1.09) released in June? I just updated my RZ.

Posted Thu 03 Aug 17 @ 8:56 am
MissyBee wrote :
Hey there,

I have a question regarding an audio set-up I use that is probably not so common.

I am using the DDJ-RZ in [External Mixer Mode] with a Laptop that has an USB Surround Headphone plugged into it. I cant really use speakers where I live, cause I would get a lot of complaints from my neighbour probably ;)

My Problem is when I use the DDJ-RZ Asio on Master (OUT 1 & 2) I dont have any sound on my Laptop. When I add a 2nd Master Channel and Assign the USB Audio Device from my Laptop I do have sound, but the Color FX Section isnt working properly. I can only use Filter & Pitch. Jet & Space arent working on my USB Headphones but they do on the Headphones connected to the Controller.

When I start Rekordbox I do have sound via my USB Headphones and the Color FX is working properly. The Rekordbox Sound options look a little different tho. I can assign Master DDJ-RZ Asio + USB Audio Device on one line (OUT 1 & 2)

On Virtual DJ I dont seem to have theese options. Am I overlooking something? Would be happy to get some advice on that matter.

One thing at a time:

1) If you use EXTERNAL mixer mode then the audio setup should NOT be master+headphones. It should be 4 deck outputs, one for each deck. Also you should select the correct mapper from the Controllers Tab (Factory default External Mixer Mode)

2) When you use EXTERNAL mixer setup the Color Effects are hardware (controlled by RZ firmware)

3) In INTERNAL mixer mode the Color Effects are software (controlled by VirtualDj) and VirtualDj currently supports only 2 of them

4) The only way to hear the MASTER sound from another source such as USB headphones is to use RZ in INTERNAL mixer mode and add a second master output on your sound setup. However YES with that configuration you loose 2 Color Effects (but you gain the advantage of post fader effects)

Posted Thu 03 Aug 17 @ 9:50 am
groovindj wrote :
In a club environment it's not always possible to hear the main speakers clearly, so there has to be a way of hearing the master output plus the cue in the headphones.

This means the DJ can hear all the music and be able to mix without relying on speakers.

By the way, did you know there's a firmware update for the RZ (v1.09) released in June? I just updated my RZ.

Yes I did update the Firmware just yesterday when I made the changes cuz I thought I overlooked something.

PhantomDeejay wrote :

One thing at a time:

1) If you use EXTERNAL mixer mode then the audio setup should NOT be master+headphones. It should be 4 deck outputs, one for each deck. Also you should select the correct mapper from the Controllers Tab (Factory default External Mixer Mode)

2) When you use EXTERNAL mixer setup the Color Effects are hardware (controlled by RZ firmware)

3) In INTERNAL mixer mode the Color Effects are software (controlled by VirtualDj) and VirtualDj currently supports only 2 of them

4) The only way to hear the MASTER sound from another source such as USB headphones is to use RZ in INTERNAL mixer mode and add a second master output on your sound setup. However YES with that configuration you loose 2 Color Effects (but you gain the advantage of post fader effects)

Thanks that did help. I ran into problems yesterday and the controller was acting up because the channels werent set up properly. The Audio Config was set on DDJ-RZ instead of External Mixer.

I admit I got a bit confused on it. Thought it has to be on DDJ-RZ. So now that I have selected External Mixer it works like a charm. I also can live without the Post-Fader Effects as I dont use the crossfader anyway. I always swipe it by accident with my elbows so I have turned it off.

Posted Fri 04 Aug 17 @ 10:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)