Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Starting to use Karaoke on VDJ7 - looks like a bad idea.....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Jydo123PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Had VDJ for almost 8 years, can't really fault it, looked at other software during that time but there is just something about VDJ that I like better than the rest. Anyway, I decided to add karaoke onto my DJing CV, I kindly got my hands on 70,000 cdg/mp3 files (140,000 in total) from a friend who does Karaoke. These files were in one *huge* folder so when I initially tried it with VDJ the screen froze for 50mins before the folder was visable, I could then drag songs onto each deck and they would play as normal but as soon as I put the cursor over the search bar to search the screen woulda again freeze for approx 2mins, I can then search for stuff but this keeps happening. I have clicked on the folder and added to DB, I also scanned for tags and bpms but it still seems to freeze at every opportunity.

I then decided to make smaller folders so cut down the large folder and now have 7 folders containing 10,000 songs (20,000 files cdg & mp3) I thought this would help but it didnt, things still lag pretty badly. Its pretty frustrating, on the outside it looks like the software simply cant handle the amount of files but Im not so sure as Ive sat on google and read stories from folk who have thousands of files which work without a gliche. I've tried all the troubleshooting methods that I have read but no improvements on the lagging. It lags when its hooked up to the Hercules rmx and it lags when it isnt.

I'm not sure if things would improve or not if I jumped up to VDJ8 plus I am also sacred to make that jump as the last upgrade I did originally caused nothing but problems with my macbook and Hercules RMX. My mac is only two years old now and I use my old mac to download, use the net, etc etc so the machine I use is more than adiquate.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.5
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16gb 1600 MHz DDR3

Any help or advice would be appreciated, sorry I'm not the most technically sounding guy lol, I may have to consider using a seperate Karaoke software alongside VDJ.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 17 @ 10:58 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Are your Karaoke files zipped ? If so, its a known issue on Mac. Have them unzipped and should work (at least much better)

Posted Fri 07 Jul 17 @ 5:32 am
Thanks for your reply, no they arent zipped at all.

Posted Fri 07 Jul 17 @ 5:58 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
File Date field is enabled/visible perhaps ? If so, disable it and see if improved.

BTW, it's always a good practice to have small folders, definitely less than 1k tracks. Not sure about Macs though, could be much less. I know that for zipped tracks, anything above 15 will slow down a lot.

Have you tried with version 8 ?

Posted Fri 07 Jul 17 @ 6:03 am
It's being quite a long time since I used V7, but definitely on a MAC there was an issue with too many files under the same folder.
Try VirtualDj 8, or brake your folders to 100-200 tracks each...

Posted Fri 07 Jul 17 @ 12:49 pm
nipped home at lunch time and stuck 3000 files into a folder, this is approx 1500 karaoke songs. when I click on the selected folder in the left hand side of the browser the lag is probably 20 secs max whereas before it was easily 100 secs, I then scroll thru folder and load up songs onto deck a and b plus scroll up and down and it works fine just like before, I then type into the search bar and the lag is only a matter of seconds whereas before it was 100 seconds plus everything froze on the browser except the video and the audio.

I think making shorter folders with 1500 max is what I need to do.

It's not exactly ideal but it's alot more stable and I could do a gig with it.

I havent tried VDJ8 yet, still scared to dip my toe into the water so far. If I get anymore joy then I will post about my results, thanks for all the quick replies, really appreciate it

Posted Fri 07 Jul 17 @ 1:32 pm
Hi Guys,

Just a little update of where I am at with this now. after an external HD failure I had to again painstakingly move 160,000 karaoke files which were in one single folder and created 54 smaller folders each containing approx 3000 files which works out at roughly 1500 karaoke songs. I obv added these folders into the search database plus scanned for tags etc etc, I also have approx 9,000 music files I use for DJing on the same external HD which will work alongside the karaoke files. The only lag that I am now experiencing is a 2 second one which happens when I scroll the cursor up or down on the karaoke folder icons which are over in the left-hand side of the VDJ browser interface, when I scroll up and down on the MP3 folders there is absolutely no lag, its just the karaoke folders where I experience a tiny gliche. When I previously used the search bar to look up songs I would still experience this 2 sec lag but this time there is no lag whatsoever when I am in the search bar, I have ticked 'search in folders' & 'search in drives' and everything works perfectly. If I am in an 80s playlist and I search Calvin Harris (for example) there will be nothing that shows up in the 80s playlist (obviously) but I will still get all of his songs popping up regardless of what particular playlist I am in. I am very happy to eventually got everything sorted and this 2-3 sec lag that I experience whilst crolling down karaoke folders is very easy to work with.

When I was gigging with VDJ I was originally intended to search for a karaoke song by switching onto my mac desktop and locate the file by searching the external HD then using 'reveal in finder' to see where it was but it looks like I dont have to anymore as the search bar in VDJ7 works perfectly. Hopefully this can be of some help to others who experience similar problems. Thanks to everyone who were quick with their help, this forum is invaluable, if anyone can still offer any advice about the lag then please feel free but its not a big problem as it is still easily workable

John

Posted Sat 22 Jul 17 @ 6:52 pm
I am wondering how to activate the video window to put on my external monitor in V8,.....any suggestions?

Posted Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 2:34 am
ultraxdjs wrote :
any suggestions?

Yes - don't post your question in someone elses unrelated thread.

As for the video window, you'll find the answer in the VDJ 8 User Guide.

:-)

Posted Sun 23 Jul 17 @ 8:30 am
Strange. I have my karaoke songs in ''Album folders'', say all sunfly is in one folder then subfolder for sunfly hits, then subfolder for say SF300. Example: D:\Karaoke\sunfly\sunfly hits\sf300.

Runs fine on a windows XP laptop I bought in 2005!! Internet is off and no antivirus, updates etc. Just wanted to keep the karaoke laptop separate all together, and then the standard one and an external karaoke hard drive as backup. But I never had problems with compressed/uncompressed MP3 cdg. Avi's sometimes jump when they are high resolution, but I try to avoid them.

Posted Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 2:28 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I use the same folder structure as the previous poster and have no problems.
So --> Karaoke --> Sunfly --> Disc number say SF219.
Hence I only have around 20 songs in each folder, but I do not have as many songs as the original poster.

My karaoke and video tracks disappeared twice recently but reappear on a restart. Generally I have had fantastic reliability. I'm just a little doubtful about the latest win 10 updates and complicated video set ups.

Posted Tue 25 Jul 17 @ 6:11 pm
create a filter folder (blue) called karaoke then put the filter "type=karaoke". Now open your karaoke folder in browser. Once all tracks are visible then you can go to the blue filter folder and it will show all karaoke tracks and you can search without slowdown. Anytime you open a giant karaoke folder it will take a while to be visible. Put updates in a small folder so that you can easily bring them in. Once a karaoke file has been seen once in the browser it will always show up in the filter folder and search.
Rusty

Posted Wed 26 Jul 17 @ 2:32 am
ultraxdjs wrote :
I am wondering how to activate the video window to put on my external monitor in V8,.....any suggestions?

ctrl-V

Posted Wed 26 Jul 17 @ 2:34 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)