Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pioneer DDJ SR no sound through speakers or Headphones - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

FumpsHome userMember since 2016
Hi guys, I'm lost & need some advice.

I recently installed VDJ on a new pc with Windows 7 being a totally fresh install.
I have installed the latest drivers for all the component parts of the PC, as well as the latest drivers & Firmware for the DDJ SR but I am not getting sound through either the speakers or the Headphones.

I have uninstalled VDJ & all drivers and done a full installation then tried it all again but I just cant work out what is wrong. The only thing I can see which is strange is that when I click the settings on VDJ the master output says "DDJ-SR Master L & R" and the phones output is "DDJ-SR Phones L & R". I have clicked that drop down & there is no option for Channels 1 & 2 etc so I'm not sure if this is the problem.
When the DDJ-SR is connected the loaded track plays and the lights flash on the master eq but as I say no sound comes out, when I move any sliders or knobs they all move on the screen so I can see that the control from software to screen is ok, but no sound. So I suspect that its something really obvious that I am missing.

I have connected the same PC to the DDJ Wego 3 I have and that works fine, so I know the PC works ok. It just wont play through the DDJ-SR. I have also tried the SR with my laptop and that's fine, its just the DDJ-SR and this new PC just wont work together for some strange reason.

As you can tell, I usually work things out for myself but I have run out of ideas now and really could do with some help.
If you have read this and can help, I just want to say thanks for your time, i really appreciate it.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 12:11 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
With the DDJ-SR connected on USB, make sure its sound card is not the default playback/recording device of Windows

On which socket are your speakers connected at the rear side ? TRS Master or RCA Booth/Master ?

Do you get activity on the VU meter LEDs on the DDJ-SR when the CH1,2/MASTER switcher is on the MASTER position ?

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 12:29 pm
Hi Djdad.

I am not 100% on the setting, I will check that when I get home, its not something I've checked so thanks loads for that.

The speakers are connected through a Hi-fi style amp and go from the RCA Booth. I have checked the cable and connection with a different source (Old CD player) and it all worked fine. and the same set up worked fine through the Wego 3

The VU meter indicates there is sound coming through the DDJ-SR both when its on master & on Channel 1&2 which it does when its connected through the lap top as well.

Its a weird one because in theory it all looks like its working but just no sound. This is why I have come here, I think I've checked so many things I may have gone snow blind & missed something really obvious.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 12:41 pm
OK so I have checked the settings that Djdad advised but unfortunately that has not sorted my issue.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 8:02 pm
Fumps wrote :
The VU meter indicates there is sound coming through the DDJ-SR

Don't be so sure about that! The meters could be controlled by MIDI from VDJ, not from the audio signal.

I found with my SX2 about a year ago that the meters work even if the audio from VDJ is routed to another interface.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 8:16 pm
Indeed the VU meters are controlled from the software in case of the DDJ-SR, so activity just means that tracks are playing on VDJ, but doesnt mean they go through the sound card of the DDJ-SR.
After reading all posts, i have the feeling that there may be an issue with the sound card itself, so you can try to ..
- set the DDJ-SR as Windows default sound card and try to play an audio file through Windows Media player or equivalent.
- use the DDJ-SR with another computer (EDIT, you have already done this... sorry)

Also, even if you ve said you have re-installed VDJ, please try to delete settings.xml from /Documents/VirtualDJ folder and try again... just in case some setting/option was changed there..
.. cant think of anything else.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 9:53 pm
OK thanks for this.

I tried again last night, still no sound. So I connected the same set up but used my laptop and all worked fine again. tried the new pc that is causing the problem with the wego 3 & that worked fine. So reconnected the DDJ-SR with the new pc and yep no sound again.

What baffles me is that my laptop's settings has a profile that is called DDJ-SR with the "Master & Headphones" set to Channel's 1&2 then 3&4 respectively and that set up works fine. on the new pc the settings for the channel are set to "DDJ-SR MASTER L&R" then "DDJ-SR PHONES L&R" and that doesn't work. but on the drop down for the "Channel" section doesn't have the option to change this to "Channel 1&2/3&4".

Its literally the only thing I can see that is different between the two computers which to me seems bizarre.

So I will try tonight to delete all traces of this installation of VDJ and re-install. my god it was never this hard when I was mixing vinyl, the worst issue was a faulty cable and that was easy to sort, this is making my head hurt lol

Thanks again guys for all your advice, I appreciate it

EDIT: I have just realised another difference on the new PC mentioned above, on the settings area there is a button that is not there on the laptop settings. Its a option box that says "ASIO" its just below the "MASTER" & "Headphone" drop down section and when I click it, it takes me to a small menu with Buffer length & sample rate (If memory serves me right but maybe wrong) . It was a small detail that has just came to me after I posted.

Posted Wed 03 May 17 @ 6:35 am
Appears that you PC is using the ASIO drivers while your laptop is using the wasapi
Try to uninstall the ASIO drivers from your PC and see if that helps

Posted Wed 03 May 17 @ 10:29 am
Awesome matey, thanks again for all your help.

Posted Wed 03 May 17 @ 12:04 pm
OK so I uninstalled the ASIO drivers & tried this but unfortunately it didn't solve my issue.

I even upgraded to Windows 10 but that didn't make a difference. I'm lost

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 6:10 am
Ok so I plugged in my Wego through this annoying anti-christ of a computer & found that when I right click on the speaker icon bottom right of the screen it shows device applications and also RCA input showing that the Wego 3 is plugged in.

When the DDJ-SR is plugged in this does not show. its like the PC just cannot find the controller. after hours of trying everything I can think of I'm still in the same place that I was before. Its the first time I've ever felt beaten by a computer grrrr

I now get a message that the ASIO driver failed to initialise which is new & wasn't happening before.

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 12:29 pm
you need the asio drivers for the controller sound card., it sounds like you have not told vdj that the controller has a sound card. when you first plugged in the controller did a box come up asking if you want to use the controllers soundcard.

Can you post a pic of the vdj sound settings menu?

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 9:39 pm
Fumps wrote :
The speakers are connected through a Hi-fi style amp and go from the RCA Booth.

So, you have moved the switch in the back to booth and turned the booth attenuator, which is also in the back up to a level that you should be able to hear? Why not use the RCA outs as master?

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 9:54 pm
Hi Guys !

I finally got it working......It was a weird bios setting that if you would have blinked you'd have missed it. I now have it working with sound. Phew only took two weeks and some very slow progress.

I now have a few bits to tidy up, for some reason my master volume knob is not effective & my effects are all in need of configuring but at least its working. I just need to work out how to set the effects up like they were before.

I still miss the good old days of vinyl where you never had issues like this lol I must be an analogue bloke in a digital world.

I just want to thank everyone who responded for your time, advice and patience, I really appreciate it.

Posted Sat 06 May 17 @ 1:37 pm
Fumps wrote :
my master volume knob is not effective

If you mean that turning it doesn't control the on screen VDJ volume knob, it's probably a hardware only control (i.e. it doesn't send MIDI).

Nothing wrong there. Perfectly normal.

Posted Sat 06 May 17 @ 2:52 pm
groovindj wrote :
Fumps wrote :
my master volume knob is not effective

If you mean that turning it doesn't control the on screen VDJ volume knob, it's probably a hardware only control (i.e. it doesn't send MIDI).

Nothing wrong there. Perfectly normal.

Sorry the volume knob doesn't change the volume at all, my fault I should have been more clear on this issue

Posted Sat 06 May 17 @ 3:30 pm
Earlier you said you were using the booth output. If that's still the case, the booth output has its own separate volume control (not master).

Posted Sat 06 May 17 @ 4:19 pm
groovindj wrote :
Earlier you said you were using the booth output. If that's still the case, the booth output has its own separate volume control (not master).

lol
I just came back on to say that I was being a numpty & noticed my mistake.

I'm now just banging my head against a wall trying to work out why the effects are not working correctly.

Posted Sat 06 May 17 @ 4:26 pm
Hey Im having issues with my ddjsx2 sound setting can you give me the lay out how Im supposed to set up my speakers and headphones to work properly by using the crossfader to listen to one side to the other only on the head phones while my speakers and blasting I dont want to have to touch the jog wheel just to head whats going on on the otherside

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 7:15 pm
Headphones are not working properly with my ddjsx2 I just want the sound to come my head phones properly woth oit heard deck1 amd deck2 by touching rhe opposite joh wheel can you give me the settings for that

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 7:18 pm
91%