Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: improve sound quality - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

o.k so here the problem...I'm not happy witht the sound coming out of my speakers Here is my set up two toshiba satellite laptops each running vdj 8....headphone out ...into a BEHRINGER XENYX QX1622USB....before you even statr with a controller...I'm old school. out to a peavey IPR2 2000 digital amp...into a pair of peavey PVx15's...I'm toying with the idea of getting an external soundcard ...my internal soundcard is set to 44100 32 bit. It doesn't sound terrble ...it's just not as full and dynamic as I would like it ...I've tried every setting adjustment. any thought on external sound cards, and do you think tey might solve my problem

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 5:47 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
 Best Answer
howitzer wrote :
o.k so here the problem...I'm not happy witht the sound coming out of my speakers Here is my set up two toshiba satellite laptops each running vdj 8....headphone out ...into a BEHRINGER XENYX QX1622USB....before you even statr with a controller...I'm old school. out to a peavey IPR2 2000 digital amp...into a pair of peavey PVx15's...I'm toying with the idea of getting an external soundcard ...my internal soundcard is set to 44100 32 bit. It doesn't sound terrble ...it's just not as full and dynamic as I would like it ...I've tried every setting adjustment. any thought on external sound cards, and do you think tey might solve my problem

To solve the issue my first suggestion is to get a decent sound card interface. Behringer is not know to provide this and the computer sound card would not be enough for pro use, so I would suggest another brands, but the budget is the real issue.

If you don't mind, you may like to use a Mackie Onyx Blackbird (if your computer can use a Firewire port) or a Allen & Heat ZED 16 FX mixer that may look as the Behringer, but would sound a lot better. If you only can use a USB sound card, then use the one on the mixer or buy one with Dynamic range > 105db. If you find some with 114db in Dynamic Range you would get the best audio quality. (also get 20-20KHz and low THD minimum and 4 outs at least).

Cheers,

Posted Thu 04 May 17 @ 6:13 pm[ selected best answer by acw_dj on Thu 04 May 17 @ 6:20 pm ]
So how does the system perform with other audio sources ?
Are you sure the PC part of the system is the problem ?
If playing a CD through the system , does it sound according to your wish ?

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 6:26 pm

That is an excellant question and sugestion. I'm going to try that

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 7:09 pm
I'm confused, are you coming out of the laptop USB, into the Behringer as a soundcard, or the headphone jack out of the computer, into an audio channel on the mixer?

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 12:24 am
out of the headphone jack ....into my mixer....then to the amp....then to the speakers

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 12:34 pm
Well if the Behringer has USB, why not use that as an audio interface for the (one) laptop?

Sound quality is only as good as the weakest link - and in your case it's nearly all weak links! You can change stuff up, but you'll only hear a difference if your playback kit is good enough to reproduce it.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 4:40 pm
"nearly all weak links"....Every bit of my equipment is top notch professional audio equipment.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 4:52 pm
One other thing I checked your link...hospital radio, clubs, pirate radio and recording studios (remixing, production etc.)...I'm not sure what hospital radio is ...I knoe pirate radio is both amature and illegal. I've been in real radio doing a live morning show for longer than you have been playing at it

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 4:57 pm
You're using the headphone outputs = weak link.

£200 Behringer mixer = weak link.

Peavey speakers = weak link.

I'll give you a break on the amp, but it's also Peavey so I'm tempted to include that too.

In my own personal opinion of course.

You did say it yourself - you want to improve the sound quality. If it's all top notch stuff, surely it's as good as it can get already?

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 4:58 pm
first thing first I don't need you to "give me a break" on any thing...now lets talk peavy speakers the reason I use them is because they are bullet proof...they work no matter what happens, are there speakers that have better range.more bass etc. of course however if you moving them from place to place in all kinds of weather they fail....peavys DO NOT...The mixer is simply a intersection for devices. Yes it processes sound and there are countless adjustment but by in large it's a place to plug one thing into another

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 5:05 pm
Hospital radio is just what it says. A radio station at a hospital, that the patients listen to.

I did the pirate radio in the 80s/90s when it was at a peak in the UK, catering for music that wasn't played by the mainsteam stations.

Some of the stations later became legal.

Some of the best, most respected DJs started on pirate stations...

howitzer wrote :
for longer than you have been playing at it

You don't know how long I've been "playing at it".

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 5:08 pm
howitzer wrote :
they fail....peavys DO NOT...

Well actually they do. There's a very famous video clip on the net of one going up in smoke.

By the way, it's Peavey not peavy.

howitzer wrote :
The mixer is simply a intersection for devices

But your "intersection" has an affect on the sound passing through it. If you bought a really good USB audio interface to improve your sound quality, sending it through the Behringer would be doing no favours.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 5:13 pm
You're right I don't know you and you don't know me. I posted a simple question in hopes of getting help from true professional. The first response from Mr. Jackson was just that
help full. He suggested something I didn't consider. And in hindsight make perfect sense. You on the other hand did what all trolls ...especially euro trolls do. You seized the opportunity to belittle my system. You are neither help full or professional. And i'm not surprised when these pirate radio station went legit...they didn't take you with.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 5:22 pm
howitzer wrote :
You seized the opportunity to belittle my system.

No - I'm just being honest with you. You wanted to improve the sound quality from your "top notch" equipment, so I gave my opinion.

You don't have to like it or accept it, but IMO that's (at least part of) the problem.

howitzer wrote :
The first response from Mr. Jackson was just that help full

Actually he said (between the lines) the same as me - he just worded it differently. "Are you sure the PC is the problem?" In other words, the mixer could be the problem, the speakers could be the problem etc.

howitzer wrote :
they didn't take you with

Didn't they? Where did you get that nugget?

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 5:45 pm
I've been using the same Peavey system for gigs since 1999 and I have never once had a problem with either the amps, crossover, EQ or speakers.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 5:50 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
You're using the headphone outputs = weak link.
Even the modern laptop onboard soundcards may be of a good quality..however you may not get very low latency. So what?

£200 Behringer mixer = weak link.
Behringer is a company which Groovin always bashes.
I think he should look at each item in its range and form individual judgments.
Some of their stuff is good!

Peavey speakers = weak link.
Peavey speakers come in a variety of different qualities dependent on price.
They have a range. I've used Peavey since the 90's and have found them a match for other brands.
Their Impulse 1012's are outstanding 5 star rated lightweight, portable, and powerful little speakers.
As for their amps ..there solid and good.

You're generalizing too much Groovin.
Thought is a good habit.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 6:26 pm
Hi,

I Have almost the same Setup ,

check the amp if match the speakers impedance and power,
check that you are using the stereo channel on the Q1622 Mixer for audio of your laptop
disable all the enhancements for the audiocard of your laptop
try to use the ASIO card on your laptop / is better
use the stereo output of your laptop , configuring the audio card on the Virtual DJ/options
try a PLugin EQ of the VDJ8 if you are a Pro user, you can download from the site
check the -10/ +4 dB set up on the Mixer
use a quality files of music,
do not go over the limits on volumes

the master volume of virtualdj must be at 50 - 65 %

try , try

GK

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 6:32 pm
bigron1 wrote :
Behringer is a company which Groovin always bashes.

Where'd you pick that up from?

1) Behringer get a bashing from a great many people, and have done for years. Generally their lower end stuff.
2) I do actually own certain bits of Behringer kit (studio & PA rack mount stuff, not mixers).

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 6:39 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
You could try a DBX DriveRack PA2 = more $

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L97-pl7qZqQ

But I would suggest you to change some of your setup like they say above.
The mixer is not a top notch PA equipment the same goes for the speakers.

Edit: I use a Behringer mixer for Karaoke/home studio too..

Great Sound is not easy to achieve or cheap :-(

Good Luck !

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 6:40 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Where'd you pick that up from?

Hm..your comments in this forum lol.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 6:43 pm
29%