Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What a weekend; one way you can move up

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Round my way it's getting a dance tent on the festival circuit to make bank, (club nights only really raise funds to pay for the free parties) and the best djs want to work for the best rigs.

I got a last minute call (thursday nite) to provide a pagan wedding dance tent (very lovely psychedelic people) on a camp site, (saturday day till sun morning)

Very quickly my roll turned for just providing sound to full event coordinator, I was designating jobs left right and centre, parking marshals, bribing the kids with a reward of sweets for 1/2 a plastic bag of rubbish, fortunately for me a couple of the guests I've worked with in the electrician field, so they help me out with lighting (and they grabbed a helper or two to get their task done)

As soon as the genny started chooching, vdj was running and even given my decrepit machine it was faultless, 2 further djing calls for me for 2 other sound systems. The psytrance dj roster asking how did you do this and that? And I'm casually saying 'oh I wrote that plugin or I scripted that.'

Not too big a rig (3Kw) and some smart siteing of the stack ensured we bothered nobody,
Given the general crowd, there was fire staffs/eating, jugglers, poi, all the circus skills, the non wedding punters (families) on the camp site loved it.

At around 3am we were asked to turn the genny off, I agreed, whipped out my 2KwH ups dropped the volume, asked the site warden if this was acceptable. And it was, sound till 7am!

On teardown, the site owner asked how the happy couple would be spending their first anniversary, and offered the happy couple theirselves 30 camping spots for free, discounts for any referrals, they only requested my crew rigged it and asked could they promote the weekend to the public.

A last minute job, first event of the season and now im booked for a mini festival next year.

Act professional, be considerate and with a bit of luck, a bit of fun for pocket money can become something much greater.

But thank (four letter swear) it's a bank holiday, I'm knackered.

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 4:47 pm
sounds like a great weekend to me \o/

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 5:33 pm
hey Loco,
sounds like you're doing everythin' right, but what is a ups?

and by the way ... I'm still spinning as well

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 6:29 pm
tommo1PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Unipterrupted power supply ? I think :)

Posted Sun 30 Apr 17 @ 8:06 pm
Correct, just a big battery that provides 240 volts (I salvaged it from a server cabinet from an office rip out job, it's used to give shut down time to all office computers if the mains power drops out, completely free!)

Further calls have come in, some for djing, some for rig hire, and an invite or two for a pitch at a couple of free parties

I've got a feeling between the day job and these weekend dos, I'm going to be busy.

Posted Mon 01 May 17 @ 5:39 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
You got a couple of Peavey amps at rock bottom prices and those 215xt's were cheap but are excellent (a bit heavy). You have an eye for a bargain.
Hm.. that battery might almost be as heavy as a 215xt?

I'm way too old for that kind of stuff..and I want to keep away from rough terrain.

..I'd bet it all sounds fantastic !

Posted Mon 01 May 17 @ 5:50 pm
Yeah the ups weighs a ton, it's rack mount but about the size & weight of 2* 3Kw amps. Being ni-cd I could switch to Li-ion to save some weigth after a bit of bodging the chargibg electronics.

I think I need to pool my own dj roster, and trade a bit of slot time (+some beers) for a bit of help lifting and shifting.

Posted Mon 01 May 17 @ 6:37 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
If you want a one off roadie I'd love to help when I'm not working.
Occasionally I get a free Friday or Saturday.
I'm still a good roadie..
A couple of beers sounds fine!

I might be able to add a video thing..if you wanted.

Posted Mon 01 May 17 @ 6:56 pm
FumpsHome userMember since 2016
That sounds awesome, I just got engaged & want a wedding like this lol

Where was it just out of interest ?

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 12:53 pm
A tiny village called Triangle, near halifax, west yorkshire, fortunately for me just 5 minutes drive from home, and a 5 minute stagger from the petrol station(got to keep genny fed :-) )the camp site (rough hey wood) is right on the valley bottom.

Siteing the dance tent at the furthest point from the entrance/warden's plot/neighbours. And aiming the stack into woodland and the valley wall was how we got away with being as loud as we were.
Speaking to the warden they used to have music onsite quite often but once the had 2 rigs, badly sited and they got into stereo wars :-( and the neighbours were non too happy.

@ron thanks for the offer, but I've got a few young strong backs to use/abuse that and I've got to get a couple of them to catch the sound system bug, video may be interesting, I've been playing with pictures of graffiti. Next time I'm Merseyside for a job I'll send you a pm.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 1:34 pm
That's ace, I know a few good people who live in Halifax and often nip over there for a cuppa,Its only a short run from me in Leeds.

We used to wild camp up at Widdop dam. I love the laid back attitude over that way.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 1:42 pm
Fumps wrote :
I love the laid back attitude over that way.

Yeah there's a reason the police call this area "Happyfax" XD,
I'm looking at perhaps doing something at Oxenhope, maybe something near Chain Bar [need to go hunting for a suitable site] Probably for the weekend of the solstice, I've just got to check what the other soundsystems are doing [anonymous, psybase, MOB r3volv]

I'll bang you a pm with a bit of prior notice for the next thing happening.

Posted Tue 02 May 17 @ 8:05 pm

" Triangle " now there's a village name i've not heard in a very long time, blink and you have driven throigh it.
i used to stay there at my grandparents when i was a young lad.
oh the memory flashbacks i'm having !!!

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 8:15 am
Cheers Locodog

Yeh Halifax is an open air asylum we used to attend various outdoor **Ahem** events all over that area. Was good times, what I can remember of them lol

Posted Fri 05 May 17 @ 12:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)