Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Firewall for DJ & Karaoke use

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does anyone know of a rock solid firewall program to block everything except my incoming karaoke requests via Songbookdb. SBDB allows me as the KJ to receive the bar patrons incoming karaoke requests. Then I enter them manually into VDJ. So in other words I would like to block everything including Windows Updates, Java and everything else. My policy has been to always keep my DJ machines off the internet with no Anti-Virus. This has worked really well for me up until now.. When I update music, I do so manually off of an External HD that's also kept offline. Of course my office computers are protected to the hilt.. Normally I keep the wifi disabled on the dj laptops.

Any suggestions?

TIA
QuadmanDJ

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 4:38 am
I have my laptop connected to my phone as a hotspot for ask the dj. I have the connection set as a "metered connection" so that it stops any updates or downloads.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 6:20 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
The Windows 10 Microsoft firewall allows me to choose what I wish to allow access to my laptop. It appears to work well.
Windows updates is an awkward topic..l disable them in the services. Periodically I do a manual update. This also appears to work well.
For the time being Win 10 updates have been frugal with my system resources but the same cannot be said of the earlier operating systems. Win 8 in particular was a nightmare.
I like Andy's suggestion and may give it a try.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 10:27 am
I'm using Win 7 64bit. I just want to be able to allow what I want to allow and nothing else if you know what I mean. The internet and updates are a liability..

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 3:57 am
On windows 7

Right-click the network adapter then click Properties
Click Configure...
Click Advanced
Click "Speed and Duplex" or "Speed" from the Property section, then set the value to the speed you want to throttle the connection to, you can set this back to Auto Negotiation if you stop using a metered connection (I recommend Full Duplex)

Posted Thu 27 Apr 17 @ 7:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)