Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Database and multiple drives

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am currently using VDJ 8.2 on a Macbook Pro with retina. 99% of my music is stored on an external drive and the search database is up to date and reflects the whole drive. I also have a usb stick with a backup set of songs incase of an emergency HD failure. Should I add this to the search database or will these songs show up in a search when the drive is not present? Ideally I want VDJ to recognise which drive is plugged in and the Virtual Folders and Search Database only make reference / show up for that particular drive. Hope that makes sense!

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 9:33 am
When you add the extra drive, scan the files and it will create a DB on the root of that drive.

Due to the plug n play feature of VDJ, the songs on that drive will only show in VDJ browser when it is actually plugged in.

That's how it works on Windows anyway .... would guess Mac would be similar but you never know!

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 10:16 am
Search database is "local" to each drive.
Therefore when the "emergency" USB drive is not plugged in, VirtualDj will not show any information regarding these files.

As for the rest questions:
1) Yes you should add these files on search db. You should also scan these files for BPM e.t.c.
To avoid scanning the files and also keep their hotcues if your main drive has such info stored, you should copy files to the "emergency" disk through VirtualDj browser.
This way VirtualDj will copy the files and the database informations that has stored about them on the "emergency" drive.

2) Yes, Hotplug is supported on MAC version as well

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 10:44 am
great, thanks for the replies!!!

Posted Fri 20 Jan 17 @ 11:30 am
Is there a way of using Spotify Track download files in VDJ8? - I never thought about this until I signed up for a Spotify account and when I downloaded the tracks realized they are not MP3 or any other usable file that I thought I could probably use in VDJ8. Would be nice to read their File.file ( File, lol ). There are a lot of new tracks that come out before some of the DJ pools. Is it as simple as adding ".file" to the list of codecs VDJ8 can play? Would be a cool option. Thanks, to anyone if they respond.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 17 @ 7:43 pm
Your question has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Please do not hijack someone else's thread, thank you. The answer to your question is no, but please search the forum, as there are a number of threads about this subject.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 17 @ 7:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)