Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Opinions Please - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Yes it is locodog..when its proper RMS!
Not the make believe power often on offer.

My 500Wrms per speaker translates to 1000w program, 2000w peak, and it's real!

I suppose someone will mention SPL..which is why the EV SX200 at 300Wrms are still a match for Peavey Impulse 1012's at 500Wrms.

You need good speakers !!!!!!!!!!

I will drive my tops and bins with two 1000wrms amps should it be needed. Its not been needed.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 3:18 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I'm a sparky, anything other than rms or SPL is mickey mouse, [£ = price paid for all]

4* 3 way full range custom build fane classics @300w [£130]
2* wharfdale lx 15 b @700w [£68]
2* peavey hisys 215xt @700w [£84]
1* makie thump 18s [switched to passive] [ @unknown [I feed it 500w]] [£70]

Peavey PV 2600 [£100]
Peavey PV 1500 [£50]
Matrix UKP 1300 [£50]
2* Matrix UKP 1000 [£100]

A bit of a mish mash but I think I've got enough power at a pretty decent price.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 3:35 am
That's not mobile locodog..its insane. It takes two men to lift a 215xt,
I once used the 115xt, a great speaker, so I would expect the 215xt to sound even better, but its not worth its weight. God help your back, and knees..you're gonna be a cripple by the age of 65.

I've seen DJ's with piles of junk speakers..they may look impressive, but there not efficient.
A mobile DJ should be weight conscious.
You have to be able to get in, and out of a venue quickly.

I have at my disposal the same amount of power as Led Zeppelin had when they were promoting Led Zeppelin 4 on tour at the Liverpool Stadium in the 1970's.
Is your living room as big as the old Liverpool Stadium?

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 3:41 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Zeppelin didn't play much jungle though did they?

Mate I do raves on the pennines and mini festivals how much more mobile can you get? Weight is important but durability is much more important, having a couple of k rig in a living room isn't unusual amongst my friends.

Aye engineers do dish out instructions to sparks, but since engineers rarely visit site, sparks do as they see fit. Nowt's set on fire yet XD

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 4:10 am
If you've got the help, and time to set up a big pa that's great.
I'd love to hear you play!
Most mobile DJ's need to move quickly.

You've got some terrific buy's.
I paid £380 for a new pv1500.

I deleted that engineer comment.
My interest is in the general mobile DJ/KJ, and they do not need jungle power.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 4:15 am
locodog wrote :
Zeppelin didn't play much jungle though did they?
haha that's funny

Just to put my two pennies in, wattage is irrelevant, wattage is just how much power its draining, not how efficiently it can convert that to sound. Wattage is like engine size and SPL is the speed. In America (sorry guys) they put 6 litre engines in cars that get blown away by Japanese 2 litres cars. Why? because they are much more sophisticated and convert the power much better. SPL is what matters. Wattage is vanity, SPL is sanity.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 10:45 am
jucenicPRO InfinityMember since 2012
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
jucenic wrote :
What do you guys think about this truss, http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPLS7730 ??

I have that one, I put 2 TV and 6 light, some time 8, no problem

What size tvs are you using??

42 inch

Posted Thu 01 Dec 16 @ 12:58 pm
mike44 wrote :
I have that same truss. How do you attach TVs to it?

Custom make, a plate with two hooks, removed the tv base and there I put the plate with the 4 screw that they are already on the back the tv (where the base is)

Posted Thu 01 Dec 16 @ 1:07 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Just to the above speaker comments having missed this thread first time around - Andy is correct IMHO, it's the actual output levels you want to look at, not the input level. Output levels aren't measured in watts after all.

I've never done a mobile gig without subs. Ever. Not even kids parties! Adding subs doesn't have to make you louder - you have control of levels and crossover don't forget - but it will make your audio sound more balanced, fuller. I also have a hatred of tripods, so what better to put your tops on than your subs? ;)

Posted Thu 01 Dec 16 @ 3:37 pm
jucenic wrote :
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
jucenic wrote :
What do you guys think about this truss, http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPLS7730 ??

I have that one, I put 2 TV and 6 light, some time 8, no problem

What size tvs are you using??

42 inch

Thanks for the reply.

Do you feel the 42" tvs are decent size or do you think 50" would be better?? Are you using 2 or a single tv on the this truss??

@Scott, yeah I agree. Tripods are just ugly but they will work on a pinch, lol!!

Posted Fri 02 Dec 16 @ 4:13 am
Scott does not seem to have worked in a very small room where it's impossible to set up a full pa and ten people equals a crowd. Such venues normally have multiple small rooms, and in the UK would almost certainly be a pub. In such circumstances I use one speaker on a stand, and one by the stand base. I have also used just one speaker and a bass bin.
The ideal setup is a dream..its about what's suitable for a venue.
I mentioned SPL earlier is this thread predicting it would be mentioned, and highlighting its value.
Do you not understand that multiple factors determine the choice of speaker? Cost, size, RMS power, SPL ..ect. Cost, size and RMS power are my start points, only then do I study the others specs, and of course read the reviews.
We all have are own ways of working.

Note: A major disadvantage of putting a speaker on top of a bass bin is that it fixes the location and may lead to a little wave cancellation. Two bass bins side by side is good. Sometimes I hide them under my table!

Posted Fri 02 Dec 16 @ 6:53 am
Get this into your heads..
THERE ARE VERY FEW GOOD VENUES AND LOTS OF DJ'S.

In the UK most dj's work in small pubs, around the corner from where they live, and they're happy. They do not use bass bins, and are not that interested in the latest, and greatest gadgets.

Pioneer, and Apple head an elitist movement which does much to poison our world, and its music.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 16 @ 8:17 am
bigron1 wrote :
Get this into your heads..THERE ARE VERY FEW GOOD VENUES AND LOTS OF DJ'S.

The venues are as good or bad as you make them. If you rock up and do the bare minimum then its not going to be good. And you can convince yourself all you want that the problem is the venue if that helps you sleep at night. People who gig round the corner from where they live, tells me that their priority is convenience and an easy life. Doing the bare minimum. I would doubt that they are "happy" just apathetic. That's good though, they make me look much better than I am :) I think the capitalised text would be much more accurate if you transposed the words "venues" and "DJ's"

Posted Fri 02 Dec 16 @ 9:21 am
Rubbish..

Almost every other person I know is a dj.
Good venues are rare.
Little pubs are common.

Its just supply, and demand.

Everyone wants the best venues.

Most people don't even get a proper chance to be a decent dj. It takes time to learn, and that demands plenty of bookings.

Note: I get good people, and venues most of the time.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 16 @ 9:36 am
I didn't say that there wasn't many DJ's. Copious amounts of people adopt the acronym.

I did a gig last month, A labour club in Cheltenham. It was a big one with two separate large rooms. The venue had accidentally booked two acts, one of which being us. But as we were there he said you might as well set up in this room because I'm going to have to pay you anyway. There was a DJ setting up in the other room. We were there as a vocalist act. The DJ set up a Bose L1 system, in the middle of the room. I know they are multi-directional, but that's just stupid. He was wearing jogging bottoms and a a T-shirt with the remains of his lunch down it. He pretty much just put auto-mix on and wondered around most of the evening eating cheese sandwiches. We work alongside DJ's all the time and a surprising amount of them are like this guy. So if they are getting work???? Needless to say, when we started up, a lot of the people in the other room came through. Including the DJ to be fair who watched the show for about half and hour.

In terms of venues, yes, 99% of them were never designed to be music venues. Some have had half arsed retro fit acoustic tiles and so on installed. But they are far from perfect. Stages in the complete wrong place and so on. Sometimes you have to be unorthodox. There have been many times when I have actually daisy chained the two tops rather than using them left and right, and put the second speaker in the room around the corner. I have used a fold back to bounce round a corner. Like i said, it will be as good as you make it. If you just turn up, put a speaker either side of you and then complain the room is crap......well.....its not the room that's the problem. The room is just tonight's challenge.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 16 @ 10:35 am
You seem to be very good at putting down the average weekend pub DJ who does not adopt "our" professional standards, and instead just creates a fun environment for his family, friends and neighbors. Often they have qualities which we lack..and should not be judged harshly. They are the backbone of pub entertainment in the UK.
Do I detect elitism?

DJ's come in many different shapes, and types.
I often scratch my head that people consider me a KJ, DJ, compare and hm glass collector..whatever. I was trained as an engineer, which is probably what I still view myself as, its just that I applied my training to the entertainment industry.
That people pay me do their parties makes me feel a little humble, and proud.

..and don't be thinking that the best DJ's always get the work, its often based on who you know.
Life has never been fair.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 16 @ 10:54 am
Well, a magnanimous one maybe, as I accept the fact that there is some truth in your first paragraph. I guess I just don't see the point or support anyone doing anything half hardheartedly. I would just consider it professionalism, rather than elitism. You do make some interesting points though Ron.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 16 @ 11:28 am
Do you feel the 42" tvs are decent size or do you think 50" would be better?? Are you using 2 or a single tv on the this truss??

I use sometime 2 or 1 depend How big is the hall. For me 42" are very good, no too big and not to small

Posted Sat 03 Dec 16 @ 8:02 pm
jucenic wrote :

I use sometime 2 or 1 depend How big is the hall. For me 42" are very good, no too big and not to small

Perfect and Thanks bro!!

Posted Sat 03 Dec 16 @ 10:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)