Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Why VDJ > Serato - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

apedjPRO InfinityMember since 2010
So after always hearing all these anti-VDJ comments on my YouTube channel, I did this video to discuss a few out of the box reasons as to why I prefer VDJ over Serato and the fanboy mentality I can't stand so much!

Take a look, thanks! :)

https://youtu.be/ltTcnh_rB20

Posted Fri 23 Sep 16 @ 5:30 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Mate raise above it, it's childish, every software has it's merits,
Bang the drum all you want but all you're doing is attracting negativity to your YT channel.

It's coke pepsi, it's playstation xbox,

I've ventured into serato's 'wishes' forum, I lost count how many times I thought "wow they don't have that yet"

I don't care what SW anyone uses, I choose mine because it's the most open, the most technical and to use it to it's full extent needs; djing, graphic design, coding, you know 21st century djing.
The argument ends with 3 initials, API, mostly replied with "what's that?"

Posted Fri 23 Sep 16 @ 10:16 am
It's 2016 and really stupid that there are people out there who still talk trash about what another DJ uses....

VDJ vs Serato vs Traktor vs Rekordbox vs the rest

Controller vs CDJ vs TT

PC vs Apple

Usually its the fanboys who use Apple, TT's and Serato who are stuck in their closed mindness and refuse to open up to any other logical thought. They feel their way is the right way and they're purists to the core. They love to remain opinionated and it doesn't matter what facts you tell them...they will constantly say their opinion is the correct one.

It's better to just laugh it off, let your skills do the talking and avoid or ignore the ones who refuse to believe that anything else is better than what's inside of their little shallow world.

Posted Fri 23 Sep 16 @ 12:18 pm
apedjPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I whole heartedly agree. It makes no damn sense as to WHY DJs worry about it so much. However, as a pro reviewer, I had to do this. :)

Posted Fri 23 Sep 16 @ 2:46 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
@ apedj

Keep up the good work.

Posted Fri 23 Sep 16 @ 3:35 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
visionz5 wrote :

Usually its the fanboys who use Apple, TT's and Serato who are stuck in their closed mindness and refuse to open up to any other logical thought. They feel their way is the right way and they're purists to the core.

And when you go to the core of a Mac, what do you find? Standard PC parts, they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 1:39 pm
apedj wrote :

Take a look, thanks! :)

https://youtu.be/ltTcnh_rB20

Good job on the video. I use VDJ with a skin that looks similar to Serato, I've noticed that when using a custom/pro skin I don't get a negative reaction from other DJs, they think it's a newer version of VDJ that they don't know about, where as the official skin still reminds them of what VDJ used to be. The journey to getting street cred for VDJ is really about rebranding and evolving the official skin to allow greater on the fly customization (more modular, change/remove the decks, change the colour scheme on the flye etc).

I often compare VDJs journey to Skoda's. Skoda used to be famous for being unreliable and fairly ugly cars, they're still shaking off that old stigma, although Skoda now has a VW engine and is probably one of the most reliable and economical cars on the road, but they have a good strategy, they rebuilt the car/engine and they've rebranded. I think VDJ is on a similiar journey, or if not they should be.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 2:18 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
bagpuss wrote :

And when you go to the core of a Mac, what do you find? Standard PC parts, they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Its the operating system, not the components.
You never have to optimize a Mac or disable all kinds of bloatware to make it perform.

I was hard core PC for years, most of them I had to build myself to do video, then went to a boot camped Mac and never looked back and that was in 2009 and still running the same machine.

Nothing runs Windows like a Mac and most people taking sides in this have never used other software or platforms, they're just driven by their closed minds.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 3:54 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
mp3jrick wrote :
You never have to optimize a Mac

I've seen plenty of posts on a competitors forum recommending users 'optimize' their Mac.

mp3jrick wrote :
Nothing runs Windows like a Mac

I've got a lot of respect for you Rick, but I'm sorry but that's just a ridiculous statement especially when followed by the closed mind statement. There are plenty of circumstances under which a Mac falls short - and I say that with a top spec MBP here that's only a couple of months old :)

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 4:25 pm

The point is that both systems are capable of achieving great results, and long lasting results at that, and when it comes down to it there are just minor pros and cons because they're flexible machines. Personally I have nothing against Apple, but I can't justify the price tag of a Mac and that's where the story ends, but the fanboys who try to paint a PC as something unworkable or sub standard are misguided imo.

In the DJ community the Apple centric ideal derives from Serato, the user base always advise noobs against running the software on a PC (incidentally blaming Microsoft rather than the developers of Serato), VDJ running so well on a PC is just an inconvenient truth, but the last time they checked up on VDJ would've been around the time "mouse scratch" was implemented, so they don't really take it seriously.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 4:41 pm
Serato came with my controller. I own Traktor... I DJ every Friday and Saturday 6 hours a night using VDJ, by choice. I love it!!! It's the best, those that say other wise don't know what they are talking about.

Posted Sun 25 Sep 16 @ 1:49 am
Well I wasn't painting a fan boy picture regarding agendas of software or choice of machine.

I am regarding my own experience of having to build computers to do video, along with the thousands of tickets answered for PC users who were having hangs due to drivers and bloatware whereas Mac users weren't.
It became apparent that the PC manufacturer's bastardized OS's were causing most of the problems with performance, and for that reason I always bought my own OEM Pro version from XP on up. This also applies with the controller manufacturers supplying drivers causing hangs and latency issues that 'seemed' to be part of the PC user problem. I don't know what the current problems are, my last support ticket was 2013, but I read these forums and it seems the pattern continues imho.

I was resistant to jump to Mac, and was convinced it was the right decision by our own Dj Cyder who I trusted with every decision regarding PC Djing.
I was so fed up with the fanboy nonsense and the debates and marketing strategy, that it turned me off and away from Mac for many years.
I used to go to gigs fearing issues until I switched, and I realized the difference between mixing comfortably and in fear, and I was the damned support agent....

My Mac has the original Snow Leopard installed and has never failed me, not once over hundreds if not thousands of events, so thats what I am basing this on.
I was that comfortable with a boot camped Mac, that for years that is exactly how I ran it, primarily because available plug ins. That is what I base my opinion on, its not an agenda or here say, and its not ridiculous, it was my own reality, and I saw the difference with my own OS from one machine to the Mac.

What has happened with Apple since then is an unknown along with SDJ's issues and neither of those subjects were part of my personal experience, I don't even read their forum anymore. If somehow their product has gone from super to sucks, I am sorry if I mislead anybody.

I find it quite entertaining after all of the debates that Serato has stepped into the controller market after all that has been said, especially with the problems they're experiencing. When a dj has to use a skin to hide VDJ, it makes me SMDH, never been happy with skins that take away VDJ's identity regardless of their features.

A friend of mine was stuck on Dell, and with each machine he had to contact ACW directly to modify things so it would function without embarrassment, that was HIS reality over several machines.

So there you have it, ridiculous and all, but the true reason I moved away from PC, take it or leave it.

Posted Sun 25 Sep 16 @ 12:08 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I wasn't debating the Mac vs PC element, I was just disagreeing with your 'nothing runs windows like a Mac' comment since it's just not true ;)

Posted Sun 25 Sep 16 @ 9:18 pm
One of the funniest thing I've heard lately was a DJ who uses 1200s, with an S9 and Serato tell another DJ who was using a controller and VDJ that they're not a real DJ. The controllerist looked at the Serato user and straight up told him that what he plays on is an actual controller. 1200's with an S9 controls the software to do what he wants. The Serato DJ wasn't having it and said only real DJ's use TT's. [facepalm]

It's that thought process and the closed minded purists who just don't get it. It's not the controllerists who are ruining the DJ scene as some purists will put it. It's the purists will refuse to kill their ego and look passed anything else than what's in front of them.

"Back in my day...I had to carry 20 record crates up 19 flights of stairs and play all night without a single BPM counter...."

Yeah...that's great Grandpa...thanks for telling us the story and sounding like the broken warped records you used to play back then.....

Posted Mon 26 Sep 16 @ 4:40 pm
I built my own PCs for years, and never had a problem, because I don't believe in turning anything off. I was very content to carry around a desktop and monitor, because I was not afraid to lift up a couple of pounds of equipment. Two of my Canadian friends were using ASUS laptops, and were happy. I bought an ASUS ROG machine, and don't optimize shet. I work more than most, and could care less what some other DJ uses. Grown men are not worried about other men, period. We don't bash others because of what they use, and don't have to defend what we use.

I use what I like, I drive what I like and all of my decisions are based on what works for me. I can afford to buy any computer or controller on the planet. If it does not do what I want, I will not buy it. My next laptop will most likely be an ASUS, because that is what I have had success with. What I think about the concept of bootcamping a machine, can't be written on the forum, but if it works for people that's great. I'm not hating on anyone that uses it, because I don't care. I am aware of most of the options available to me, and make a decision based on that info. I have never understood the need to even bring up the other software in this forum. If I want to know about their software, I know where their web site is. Do the research, make a decision that works for you, and be happy.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 16 @ 7:46 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
I What I think about the concept of bootcamping a machine, can't be written on the forum

Well how can you have an opinion if you have never performed hundreds of gigs with it Rick?
The reason I bootcamped mine was because I needed the camera plug in for my shows and it wasn't available for Mac....the ONLY reason because I don't trust VST plug ins. I saw too many crashes while these plug ins were active, and it wasn't gonna happen on my watch.

See, the problem is this, Dj's are the cheapest bunch on the planet.
Yes I spent 2K, but building wasn't much cheaper at the time but more reliable than laptops.
If they could buy a laptop for $100, they would, and then expect it to work.

I also carried a 3U desktop, its in my pictures, you know that, we've had this discussion when we worked together at shows.
The problem is, I wasn't going to buy a machine that stood one chance of not working out of the box and neither did you, this is not the norm for users here and few put the demands on their gear that we did with video especially back then.
Now is a different story, but let me give you another example.

My wife consistently had trouble with her Dell POS and there was more than one, but you can figure where it landed.
Well as it turned out, the bios battery was failing because it was probably built and boxed years before it was purchased.
When it came across my desk, I discovered it was a monitor off, keyboard out just to get to the screws to disassemble it to replace the battery, basically a full disassembly just to change a GD lithium battery.
That was the end of it for her, and I bought her a MBP for our anniversary..... that was in 2009....and it was a REFURBISHED unit.... and its sitting 3' from me now with no issues what so ever cause I wasn't gonna let her get taken again.

So my opinion is based on many years of building and support for those poor dj's who fell for the big box store deals and the pattern can't be excused.

You, on the other hand had referrals from people who had working machines, not the case for all, and ASUS is never gonna be a Dell from hell.

Peace my brotha, you and I both know why you ditched the desktop, so keep it real, cause its the same reason I had for going to a smaller system.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 16 @ 9:16 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Off Topic, Yeah tell me about Dells, had one were the cpu fan went faulty, like you said, screen off, keyboard out and the rest, to find it had just come unplugged, 1/2 an hour to get in to do a 5 second fix.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 16 @ 10:25 pm
i a actually watched this yesterday before.. great work...

Posted Tue 27 Sep 16 @ 2:00 pm
The thing I find funny, is in all the years of using VDJ I've NEVER EVER had anyone ask me why I use VDJ or laugh at me for using it.

I've played all over the Midwestern United States, big shows and little shows, opened for world touring DJs and NOT ONCE has another dj, club owner or promoter EVER said anything bad.

I use both VDJ and SDJ/SSL, they both have pros and cons and only since v8 has the bar been raised.

On to the Mac/PC thing, I can say this from MY OWN experience. Once I went MAC I have never looked back.

I'd like to think my PC is pretty good but there is no way id ever use it live with ANY SOFTWARE!!

I know exactly what Rick is saying when he says he could never get comfortable when playing on a PC but I don't think I'm an average user and I push the shit outta my machines.

Use what your most comfortable with and for me thats a Mac.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 16 @ 3:06 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Me too...

And I don't mind being called Pioneer/Mac "Fanboy" LOL!

Posted Tue 27 Sep 16 @ 6:46 pm
74%