Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Oh my.....Roland DJ-808! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:22 pm
Yeah, saw that unit on the web a couple of days ago.

Bloody Serato again. When will this crap end?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:23 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
As long as we keep supporting almost every controller that comes out in the market, why is it so frustrating - and needs to be mentioned constantly - to see Serato bundled with all the new ones ?

Anyways, as we always do, this one will be supported soon.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:25 pm
It's just frustrating as every time I look at a new high end controller it either has Serato or Rekordbox on it.

I guess this unit isn't hardware locked then?

The dimensions of the unit are 668 mm x 427 mm x 84 mm and the weight is 6.8 kg so it's pretty big.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:31 pm
Yeah.it would be nice to see VDJ team up with one of the Pros and bundle something cutting edge like this...one of these days ,I hope..

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:37 pm
What kills it for me is the fact that Roland only put four drum sounds on the damn thing!

Kick, snare, open and closed hi hat. That's yer lot.

IMO it would have been better to include percussion sounds - toms, bongos, cowbell, clave etc. so that they can be laid over the playing track (and DJs are going to be playing tracks with kick, snare and hats already there 99.99% of the time).

Roland.... if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. Just four sounds on a drum machine in 2016 is downright ridiculous.

I know other sounds can be played via the Serato sampler. I just think there should've been far more onboard sounds.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:59 pm
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I don't get why Roland needs to play in this space, however I'm a fan of competition so... If they can make a solid piece of gear and it sells, why the hell not! :)

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 7:02 pm
groovindj wrote :
What kills it for me is the fact that Roland only put four drum sounds on the damn thing!

Kick, snare, open and closed hi hat. That's yer lot.

IMO it would have been better to include percussion sounds - toms, bongos, cowbell, clave etc. so that they can be laid over the playing track (and DJs are going to be playing tracks with kick, snare and hats already there 99.99% of the time).

Roland.... if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. Just four sounds on a drum machine in 2016 is downright ridiculous.

I know other sounds can be played via the Serato sampler. I just think there should've been far more onboard sounds.

EXACTLY!!

I mean what about some synths and other stuff??

It is a nice idea and when and if it gets the support of VDJ ill definitely try this unit out.

Until then I think Reason running in slave mode is just fine, not even sure if that works with 8 anymore now though. Hmm have to pull out my other machine and try it out tonight.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 7:14 pm
The kermit the frog green colour is a bit offputting too ......

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 7:19 pm
Well it does fit in with the colour scheme of their AIRA range.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 7:24 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
thetracker510 wrote :
Yeah.it would be nice to see VDJ team up with one of the Pros and bundle something cutting edge like this...one of these days ,I hope..

There's nowt cutting edge here, they stuck a [limited function] 808 on a [pioneer clone] controller.
That said I would like to see what a made for v8 would look like (huge).

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 7:27 pm
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
that 808 may be use 1/4 of time Djin......I'll keep my DDJ-sx-2

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 7:54 pm
a sticker decal will cover the Serato with VDJ in no time.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 9:38 pm

Posted Wed 14 Sep 16 @ 4:54 am

Posted Wed 14 Sep 16 @ 11:18 am
Yeah I know but I don't use Serato because if I did I wouldn't be here asking for LINK to be supported;-)

Posted Wed 14 Sep 16 @ 1:18 pm
KmxProPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Hot!! Where da skin?

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 4:38 am
AsThe DJ+ wrote :
that 808 may be use 1/4 of time Djin......I'll keep my DDJ-sx-2

Okay guys.no big deal having a imitation 808 in there unless it can sync up good and can trigger the inboard sampler which apparently does.it will be Vdj's job to make its sampler do the same..

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 4:58 am
It's a funny unit - but I don't think I'd get any added value from it

I mean, it would be fun to play with at home.
But I don't think the happy couple would enjoy it if I start adding 808 loops on top of the first dance at their wedding...

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 5:10 am
Because if it (they can do that ) it would be like the flip funtio,but maybe I'm hoping for too much Lol...it would mean getting VDJ to really itentergrate with this.(edit talkin about a built in midi sequencer,which the 808 section has...)

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 5:13 am
32%