Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Microphone Channel?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm using the Numark NV controller with Virtual DJ 8. Rather than have my mic through the mic/aux input, I'd like to assign it to channel 3 on the controller. That way I would have more control over it using the EQ. Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Posted Sat 27 Aug 16 @ 1:11 am
You could try something like this.

Posted Sun 28 Aug 16 @ 3:26 am
So at the moment you're plugging the mic directly into the NV?

Yes you could route the mic through a deck/channel of VDJ instead, to give yourself access to all the normal EQ and FX of the VDJ mixer.

You'd have to plug your mic into your PC to do this - probably via an audio interface if your mic has an XLR large jack connection. Then you'd have to enable that input as an aux channel on a spare deck to route the sound thru that channel.

Just be aware that this method (routing it thru the PC) is likely to introduce latency, so use a decent audio interface.

Posted Sun 28 Aug 16 @ 7:22 am
A Man and His Music wrote :
You could try something like this.

I'm not sure how that would work. I could input it through the AUX but the volume would just be on the same knob as the mic volume. It wouldn't be assigned to one of the channels ...if that makes sense. Or am I missing something?

Posted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 12:08 am
groovindj wrote :
So at the moment you're plugging the mic directly into the NV?

Yes you could route the mic through a deck/channel of VDJ instead, to give yourself access to all the normal EQ and FX of the VDJ mixer.

You'd have to plug your mic into your PC to do this - probably via an audio interface if your mic has an XLR large jack connection. Then you'd have to enable that input as an aux channel on a spare deck to route the sound thru that channel.

Just be aware that this method (routing it thru the PC) is likely to introduce latency, so use a decent audio interface.

I was hoping for an easier solution but worth a try if no-one comes up with anything better.

Posted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 12:10 am
Well that's the easiest it's going to get. Your controller is really the resticting factor.

Although it has a "four channel mixer" the four channels are only remotely controlling VDJ's software mixer. The only inputs on the NV are the mic/aux ones, wired directly to the output. The only way to plug another source in and control it with the "mixer" EQ etc. is to route it thru the PC and VDJ.

One alternative is to add a small hardware PA mixer, with an input for a mic and a stereo input through which you can route the output of the NV. That would sit between your NV and the PA system, allowing you to mix in a mic.

You could also run it the "other way around" and feed the mic into the NV's aux input via the PA mixer (which would have EQ etc) as AMAHM suggested. The better the mixer, the more extra inputs you could feed into the NV.

Posted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:25 am
I'm sorry, I thought you could route the Aux to one of the channels.

Posted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)