Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Good projector for monograms? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

So I'm thinking of upgrading. Right now, I'm using a Chauvet EZ Gobo for monograms and it has served it's purpose. Even though it's not that bright, I got it at a very low price that I couldnt pass up. But I'm looking to upgrade and was thinking about getting a video projector. This is the one I'm thinking about

Optoma S341 - 3500 Lumens / 22,000:1 contract ratio
http://www.compsource.com/pn/S341/Optoma-1069/S341-Dlp-Projector/

If I went with this...would that be good enough (and bright enough) to shine monograms on wood floors or far away walls even during the day? If I were to go to a 4000 lumen projector and above, the price almost doubles. Thanks for the advice and if anyone else is using a similar projector (3500 lumens) can you post a pic so I can see how bright it is? Thanks.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 2:59 pm

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:24 pm

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 6:09 pm
visionz5 wrote :
Says it's a 7000 lumen for $75

That's pretty funny stuff. The 'headline' says it's full HD 7000 lumens, yet elsewhere on the page it says the native res is 800x480 and it's only 2300 lumens.

@visionz5 - I have an Optoma projector which is 3000 lumens and it's plenty. Another 500 is even better.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 6:20 pm
groovindj wrote :
visionz5 wrote :
Says it's a 7000 lumen for $75

@visionz5 - I have an Optoma projector which is 3000 lumens and it's plenty. Another 500 is even better.

Do you use it for monograms or video at your events? Any pics of a monogram during daylight by chance?

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 6:28 pm
I rarely use it because I find projector + screen setup so awkward at most venues.

OTOH I have done gobo projection (including custom ones) using an old Optikinetics Solar 250 which is 'only' 1200 lumens and it still does a good job IMO.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 6:33 pm
I pulled the plug and went with the optima that I linked in my original post. I found it online for $220 brand new. There is no USB input on it, so I have a 50 foot VGA cable, a super clamp and a spare tripod laying around. Could I just create a monogram in photoshop, attach it to the clipbank or slideshow feature in VDJ 7 or 8, hook up my laptop to the projector via the VGA cable, and project the monogram in that way? I know I would have to keep the clipbank or slideshow active the whole time I was DJing, but that's no big deal.

One of the main selling points of the projector for me was not only the high lumens and contrast ratio but the fact that it has keystone correction so I can place it literally just about anywhere and still give a square monogram.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 3:13 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
That's the best way to do it, black backgrounds with silver or white lettering work best, but obviously you can use any colour you want, you could even ask the wedding party if they want colours to tie in with their wedding theme.

If you need any help just give me a shout.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 3:28 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
@visionz5, soon you will play videos on it ;-)

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 7:03 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hm... so I have a 50 foot VGA cable
So what would you do if the projector location was @ 120 foot?
I think VGA is limited to around 90 feet, but I could be wrong.
HDMI is poor over distance, and expensive.
I'm feeding 3 TV's by the bar which is at the other end of the function room.

Cat 5e?

Is this a handy link?
http://www.teammead.co.uk/itsupport/maximum-cable-lengths/index.html

Posted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 12:01 am
bigron1 wrote :

I'm feeding 3 TV's by the bar which is at the other end of the function room.

And for this you are using ?

Posted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 11:21 am
cat 5e and vga

I still have a little to do, one more vga cable dropped through the ceiling above the bar, and a surprise 30 foot additional vga to the stage since that is going to be occupied by a band.
I'm thinking I should have got a 50m instead of 40m cat 5e cable.
I'm learning as I go, it's all new.

Things work fine from the stage to the two tv's I've already connected.
That extra 30 foot could cause problems.
I need a working system tomorrow..

Posted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 11:59 am
bigron1 wrote :
Hm... so I have a 50 foot VGA cable
So what would you do if the projector location was @ 120 foot?

I'm strictly using it for monograms and not video. If I cant find a location somewhere within 50 feet of me to place it somewhere and shine it on the dance floor or a wall, then something isnt right. lol But if it ever got to be a problem, I'll either use my Chauvet EZ Gobo or I'll go buy a wireless VGA dongle that transmits data from my laptop to the projector.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 12:21 pm
bigron1 wrote :

cat 5e and vga
I'm thinking I should have got a 50m instead of 40m cat 5e cable.

What kind of extender do you have ?
I recently bought extender from aliexpress that doesnt work :-(

Posted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 10:27 pm

Posted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 11:13 pm
Projector arrived over the weekend and I tested it out. 3500 lumens is perfect! This thing shines super bright and has a nice long throw to it so I can put monograms just about anywhere I really want. The keystone adjustment is amazing on it and I can put the projector at some pretty hard angles while still showing a perfectly square image. The fact that I can create monograms on the fly within a few seconds with either photoshop or powerpoint is an A+ in my book too.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 12:21 pm
Nice visionz5.

And thank you Ron for the tip on the signal splitter/amplifier.

I should try to go through an amplifier with my signal to see if it works better !?

Posted Wed 03 Aug 16 @ 8:46 pm
I use two freppa, one by my laptop which sends the signal to my karaoke monitor, projector, and then tv system.
The other is at the end of the cat 5e cable to feed the signal to each of the tv's.

I did try using the vga out on my projector, but it was no good.
I supposed then that the signal must need to be amplified.

I should try to go through an amplifier with my signal to see if it works better !?
Yes!

Sorry for hi jacking your thread visionz5.
What I'm talking about may be useful to many.
I'll put it on my projector tips thread with a few photos.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 16 @ 11:18 pm
I too use those when I have long runs (50ft. or more) and Ive never had any problems, I will add that Im using HDMI though and not VGA.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 16 @ 11:51 pm
HDMI cables are expensive, and ineffective over distance????
VGA is cheap, and overcomes HDMI distance restrictions.

Since few videos are true high definition HDMI is not that essential.

I'm still thinking about the pros and cons of sending a signal 150 foot.

Comments?

Note : the 3 tv's I feed have vga cable lengths 10m, 5m, and 2m.
This is an important topic, it should be put somewhere sensible.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 16 @ 11:57 pm
87%