Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Worth the Risk?!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HutsyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Hi All,

I've been learning for a while and played publicly at a couple of work parties and received good feedback. I've been grinding our mixes and uploading them (https://www.mixcloud.com/dj-hutsy/) to build up my portfolio and eventually start seeing if I can get gigs.

I use Pioneer DDJ Ergo and really comfortable with it. I use Content Unlimited so all my music is locked into VDJ.

I've secured a slot at our summer part THIS FRIDAY but he won't let me use my controller. I've been looking at mapping VDJ to the CDJs (waiting to hear what ones they are) and getting the appropriate skin.

I'm scared I'll mess up big time. Never been in front of CDJs or mixer before and won't have time in front of them beforehand.

Is this a big risk? Shall I decline my slot?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

John

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 11:42 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I would highly recommend trying to get set up and working on the gear after hours. This way you can iron out any setup issues and get used to the equipment.
Essential, the basic mixing part is the same. But, with the stress of a new gig, you want as few problems as you can get.
Also, if you are going to use the CDJ's or mixer as a sound card, you will want to get those drives installed and sorted. Download the installers when you find out the gear. It would be a bummer if you got there and there was no internet for you to get all of that.
Don't forget to work out how you will be doing your transitions from DJ to DJ.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 1:20 pm
You should try to find another DJ that has that equipment or a shop where you're allowed to test it.
That way you can be sure that there are no driver issues.
You might still want to have your own controller with you on Friday for the worst case (in which the organiser won't prohibit you to use it).

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 1:30 pm
Thanks Guys,

Gonna try and get some play time after work (he's soooo protective!). I've told him as long as I have a table off to the side of the booth (if space is an issue) I can even kick the night off then be out the way but he's not budging!

I've taken a look at images of the layout of the mixer and CDJ2000s (still waiting to hear what we actually have) and it looks familiar enough considering the pretty different layout of my controller so it may not be too terrible.

You're right about the prep though. I really need time to test the drivers, the skin and the actual configuration as well as getting the physical time on the CDJs to feel a little more at home.

Really hope I can do this. I know I'd rock it if I could just use my controller! :(

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 1:56 pm
I'd pass the gig on until your more familiar with "industry standard gear".

They'll be plenty more gigs.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 2:22 pm
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
When people ask me to play some music at there party (or in a club) I use my own stuff. If not, Im not doing it..
I have to tell....for me it's just a hobby...

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 3:22 pm
If I were you I'd forget about taking your computer.

Download Rekordbox, use that to put the tracks you want to play on a couple of USB sticks (for backup and in case the CDJs are not networked together) and play from the CDJs using those. One of the reasons why CDJs are so ubiquitous is that they're easy to use.

EDIT - Mind you, if the only music you have is from Content Unlimited then I guess you are........limited.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 4:41 pm
groovindj wrote :
EDIT - Mind you, if the only music you have is from Content Unlimited then I guess you are........limited.

Exactly :)

Content Unlimited is ideal for me as I'm still learning and I've never made any money from this - so paying for each track would be pretty crippling for me, especially if I wanted to practice with loads of types of tracks etc.

One day I'd like to be more flexible but that's likely to be some way off yet.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 4:48 pm
Of course it's possible to set up VDJ so that it's controlled by the CDJs (assuming they're modern ones) - but if you're the only DJ who'll be using a computer then it won't be easy to switch over if there are DJs before and after your set.

Not only do you need to know exactly what you're doing, so that you can set things up quickly and without any issues, but going from CDs or flash drives (which the other DJs may be using) to USB and back again afterwards won't be pretty even if you do have the experience.

BTW you don't need an "appropriate skin".

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 4:56 pm
I've found out we're hiring the CDJs (I thought we had resident ones) so once he knows what we're getting he'll let me know.

I know what you mean about the skin - just a security blanket for me I guess :) The mixer won't be hooked up to be controlling the software so it might be worth me keeping my Ergo skin as I like the waveform (original VDJ) style.

Yeah, he said laptops can be used, and I know one of the other DJs (a semi pro) is hoping for USB. I'd like to think we'll all be ok whatever we use but you no doubt know from experience.

Thankfully - it is just work colleagues so it's not the worst thing in the world if we have a slightly dodgy transition from DJ to DJ.

I know I'll be studying the layout of the hardware with gusto this week!

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 5:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)