Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Faulty Denon MC6000 Mk1, VDJ 8.2 to the rescue :-) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I had an issue with my Denon MC6000 Mk1 last night.

Back story - I bought my Denon MC6000 5 years ago when they first came onto the market. After 10 months upfader 3 became faulty (at full travel the volume was jumping up and down uncontrollably). The unit was repaired under warranty, but, when it was returned, the navigation knob and buttons were unmovable. The unit was replaced with a new one under warranty, then, after 10 months the same up fader 3 became faulty. The unit was again sent back for repairs, it worked fine for around 10 months and, you've guessed it, up fader 3 became faulty again. As I was very busy I didn't get around to sending the unit back and reprogrammed the mapping to use faders 1 & 4 (I only use 2 decks). I have been using it like this for 3 years.

On Saturday at the start of a wedding gig fader 1 started jumping up & down, OMG!!! I quickly looked in the options of v8.2 and found the tick boxes for the fader arrangements. One tick and my MC6000 was set to use faders 2 & 4, just in time for the first dance, phew!!! After around 30 minutes fader 2 started doing the same and I had a full wedding gig of 3 hours ahead of me, gulp!!! I managed to get through the gig by not moving fader 2 to its full travel.

Going to see about getting the MC6000 repaired tomorrow, I also have the typical Start Button microswitch failure, I've recently been starting the decks with the CUE1 buttons.

Maybe it's time to start looking at a replacement such as the MC6000 Mk2 or the MC4000 and keep the MC6000 as a backup. My only concern is in September the BPM Show will be on at the NEC, Birmingham in the UK, wonder if there is some new kit that I'll wish I waited for.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 1:40 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
"September the BPM Show will be on at the NEC, Birmingham in the UK, wonder if there is some new kit that I'll wish I waited for"

Remember it takes another say 6-8 months average after something is shown to actually produced and be on the market.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 2:01 am
I've gone through both my MC6000 mk1 replacing TACT switches and changing the faders is really not so big problem.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 7:33 am
MrJackson2014 wrote :
I've gone through both my MC6000 mk1 replacing TACT switches and changing the faders is really not so big problem.

Really? You are a brave man

I watch a video on youtube on how to do it.
He took everything apart to get to the switches.
When he started using a soldering iron I really lost my nerve to try and do that myself

EDIT: Here it is (I hope it's allowed to post)

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 8:43 am
I have repaired lots of these for myself and my friends that use them, faders and switches.

It's not the quickest job, but it is so expensive to get the repair done by a 3rd party because these units take so long to dismantle.

I can do them in my sleep now ......

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 9:12 am
Just been to a DJ store that said 'for a job like that they would send it away'. They couldn't get an estimate til the repair company receives it. He said it would be away for around 4 weeks! Jeez, I could walk there and back faster! The guy I work for could do it, but, he's just gone on holiday yesterday to the Isle Of Man for the next 2 weeks, doh!

I watched that video a few months ago which confirmed that I would not attempt it lol.

From Friday I've got 6 weddings in 9 days to do! As a last resort I've got my old Vestax VCI100, but, it is just a controller and doesn't have a soundcard. I could use the headphone jack of my MBP with splitter cables, although, not ideal, it would work.

Alternatively, I can get a new MC6000 Mk2 delivered by Wednesday (I can hear my credit card screaming lol). Might have to sell those 1210s.

kradcliffe, how far away from me are you? Could we arrange something?

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 5:08 pm
Hi Les,

I'm in Aberdeen so it's a long, long way away.

One of my friends bought a MK2 as a temporary replacement while his was being fixed and he doesn't like it. He thinks the software control is horrible compared to the external mode of the MK1.

I bought my one the week they came out and have only had to replace the play & pause switches. Believe it or not all four faders still work perfectly after all this time. I think if you are heavy handed and press down while sliding them it wears the contacts out.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 6:12 pm
OMG, that is a long way. Drove up there with a van delivery many years ago dropped a pallet off at the builders merchant then had to continue up to Banff with another pallet. Thought I was never going to get home. I'm in the Newcastle area btw.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 6:18 pm
There is nothing for me that replaces the MC6000 MK1..... and that's after 5 years. I got an almost new one on eBay a couple of months ago so it's tucked away just in case .....

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 6:21 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Have you tried to change the mixer order from either the settings or the Mixer options menu of the 4 decks default skin ?
The MC6000 supports this feature.
Give it a try.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 8:15 pm
Sell your 1210's for a controller!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOO dont do it, you'll regret it later, lmao!!

Posted Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 8:17 pm
djdad wrote :
Have you tried to change the mixer order from either the settings or the Mixer options menu of the 4 decks default skin ?
The MC6000 supports this feature.
Give it a try.

Already did that as mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of the 1st post on this thread. Been limping along with 3 good faders til Saturday night, now I've only got one good one. Plus both start buttons have become unreliable, I now start the decks with the CUE1 buttons.

Dunno about selling my 1210s, haven't used them in 10 years, but............

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 12:25 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Ah miss-read, thought there was just one bad fader lol.. Well good luck with the replacements !
You may have to drive up to Aberdeen after all :)

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 3:14 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Hi Les,

I'm in Aberdeen so it's a long, long way away.

One of my friends bought a MK2 as a temporary replacement while his was being fixed and he doesn't like it. He thinks the software control is horrible compared to the external mode of the MK1.

I bought my one the week they came out and have only had to replace the play & pause switches. Believe it or not all four faders still work perfectly after all this time. I think if you are heavy handed and press down while sliding them it wears the contacts out.

I just noticed you mention the 'external mode', I've never used my MK1 in 'external mode' and have always used the 'internal mode'. I don't think I'm heavy handed with the faders and definitely don't 'slam' the faders like I've seen other DJs do. I used channels 2 & 3 for around 2 years when channel 3 went bad twice. The repair guy said he thought there was a weakness in the design where the fader was attached to the motherboard, he had done a few. I've since been using channels 1 & 4 for over 3 years with no problems until Saturday. I did 100 gigs last year and probably the same most years as I do this for a living and busy every weekend. Whether that has a bearing on the wear & tear or not I don't know.

The DJ store I visited yesterday have a new MK2 available and always keep one in stock. I can pickup the MK2 today if necessary, just got to make some calls first, doubt if I can get mine repaired before Friday. I still have the option of using my Vestax VCI100, but, I've got 6 weddings in 9 days to do from friday. Do I really want to output the sound from the headphone jack?

Maybe I should re-enable the crossfader? Never used one all the years of DJing.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 7:00 am
Maybe the DJ shop has e MK2 demo unit for you to "rent" or "try out" for those gigs.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 7:56 am
Been messing around all morning. I've found that channel 2 fader is stable as long as it's not pushed to 100% travel, only move it to 95% and it's fine. Channel 4 fader is fully working as it was when new. This was how I used it on Saturday. So, I still have a useable working system.

I'm still inclined to go and get MC6000 Mk2 and fix this one later for peace of mind.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 10:49 am
Les, the last thing you need or want is a complete failure in the middle of a gig.

Best replace and repair later IMO.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 10:51 am
Yep, I agree.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 10:59 am
The dastardly deed is done!

Now the proud owner of a Denon MC6000 Mk2 (and a melting credit card lol).

I'll leave it til later tonight to install and set it up, got other things to do including a 6 mile run with my athletic club at 6pm........ in this heatwave??? Phew! It's gonna be a hot one, better start hydrating now. ;-)

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 2:57 pm
Yeah, its 25 degrees in Aberdeen at the mo and that only happens about twice a century!

Posted Tue 19 Jul 16 @ 6:07 pm
45%