Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Ask The DJ in v3268: feature or bug? - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You only need to type
ask.the.dj

That's what the geolocation is for, so you don't need to accurately type a name as well.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 9:26 am
kradcliffe wrote :
I can't imagine anyone wanting to go to a web browser and type in www.ask.the.dj/djname as it's too long winded (they'll forget) and too long to announce on the microphone.

Neither can we, that's why we changed the feature, and now you just need to tell your audience "go to ask.the.dj" no need for your name (or for www)

kradcliffe wrote :
I told my permanent venue about the twitter integration and we started using it last weekend. I'm a bit embarrassed to tell them it might get stopped now, although I can still use Twitter in a web browser but that defeats the purpose of having it in the software.

It's still here, and as long as we see some people using it, we'll never remove it.
(and if we really see many people using it, we'll bring it back more in the spotlight)

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 10:25 am
kradcliffe wrote :
I can't imagine anyone wanting to go to a web browser and type in www.ask.the.dj/djname as it's too long winded (they'll forget) and too long to announce on the microphone.

They only need to type:

ask.the.dj

How hard is it ? Or how long is it to pronounce ?

You don't need "www." and you don't need "/djname"
Ask.the.dj uses geolocation (all phones these days offer that) to understand which is your current dj.
And if you are 5 dj in the same room that use the "ask.the.dj" feature then it will ask which (of the 5) is the dj you want to send your message.
So from this point of view is extremely simple IMHO.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 10:52 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
And if you are 5 dj in the same room that use the "ask.the.dj" feature then it will ask which (of the 5) is the dj you want to send your message.

Almost wanted to ask about this.
Since I'm regular going on the road with a second DJ (also VDJ user), this is great news.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 11:00 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Seems to be becoming a trait of Atomix to put features in the marketing then drop them, just like the timeline. Just shows yet again that the company don't have a strategy and are making it up as they go along.

That's called being reactive and listening to our users.
If we see that a feature is becoming very popular, we instantly re-shift our focus on it, to make it even better.
And when we see a lot of good ideas and suggestions in the forums, we change the feature to implement them in a matter of days or weeks, not months or years to stick to some "strategy".

Anyway, that's how we think business should be done, here at Atomix, but everybody is free to disagree of course.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 11:18 am
sclavel wrote :

Yet here we are still waiting on post fader FX, quartz file support on the mac side and coloring our cue points without having to remember codes for the colors.......

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 2:22 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Yet here we are still waiting on post fader FX, quartz file support on the mac side and coloring our cue points without having to remember codes for the colors.......

I have and use post fader FX together with VDJ, but that is a standard feature of my DDJ SZ controller. Maybe you need an other controller?

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 2:31 pm
sclavel wrote :
kradcliffe wrote :
Seems to be becoming a trait of Atomix to put features in the marketing then drop them, just like the timeline. Just shows yet again that the company don't have a strategy and are making it up as they go along.

If we see that a feature is becoming very popular, we instantly re-shift our focus on it, to make it even better.
And when we see a lot of good ideas and suggestions in the forums, we change the feature to implement them in a matter of days or weeks, not months or years to stick to some "strategy".

Anyway, that's how we think business should be done, here at Atomix, but everybody is free to disagree of course.

And if that's really how yall think then SMS would really be the way to go instead of directing traffic to your website......

royvanmeel wrote :

I have and use post fader FX together with VDJ, but that is a standard feature of my DDJ SZ controller. Maybe you need an other controller?

Wrong answer bro, most other software can do with any controller, hell I can do it with my MC4000 with SDJ......Anyways this isn't a debate for this thread but if you'd like to continue just PM me.........

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 2:35 pm
sclavel wrote :

+1 still waiting for post fader effects

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 2:35 pm
Poster fader effects specifically of virtual dj and not by using an external mixer. My pioneer 800 has post fader effects and my remixer 1000. We're talking about specifically the software itself just like serato and traktor have. So far, only echo is the post fader effect.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 2:38 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
quartz file support on the mac side

Demand for this feature has been very very low so far.

and coloring our cue points without having to remember codes for the colors.......

This is already possible.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 2:49 pm
SBDJ wrote :
quartz file support on the mac side

Demand for this feature has been very very low so far.

So demand dictates what gets added even if that feature would save you, me and everybody who uses it a lot of time???

You of all people here Scott know the power of a qtz file and how beneficial it could......

But if you don't add it so be it, its your software you are free to do what you want with it.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 3:00 pm
Geolocation can vary from carrier to carrier and from provider to provider and isn't always very accurate. For example, I've had geolocation tell me I'm in Virginia when I'm actually in Florida. Plus some people don't like their phones knowing where they are or have been so they have turned location services off.

Stick with text messages. EVERYONE texts. Integrate with a program like PushBullet which can be used on a phone or from a PC. DJ's can give out their number, or a secondary number tied to their cell phone, and people would text the information to that. AND by texting the DJ, the person texting would already have the DJ's number in their phone if they every wanted to call them to do a gig.

P.S. There are several sites out there that offer numbers like Google Voice (free) or sites like MightyCall, Freedomvoice, Mo+, Talkatone or others which can be used for free or a small fee if someone doesn't want to give their main number out. I got my secondary number (813-586-DAWG) through Google Voice for $10, and it's mine forever.

Posted Fri 24 Jun 16 @ 2:28 am
BigDawgProductions wrote :
Geolocation can vary from carrier to carrier and from provider to provider and isn't always very accurate. For example, I've had geolocation tell me I'm in Virginia when I'm actually in Florida. Plus some people don't like their phones knowing where they are or have been so they have turned location services off.

Stick with text messages. EVERYONE texts. Integrate with a program like PushBullet which can be used on a phone or from a PC. DJ's can give out their number, or a secondary number tied to their cell phone, and people would text the information to that. AND by texting the DJ, the person texting would already have the DJ's number in their phone if they every wanted to call them to do a gig.

P.S. There are several sites out there that offer numbers like Google Voice (free) or sites like MightyCall, Freedomvoice, Mo+, Talkatone or others which can be used for free or a small fee if someone doesn't want to give their main number out. I got my secondary number (813-586-DAWG) through Google Voice for $10, and it's mine forever.

+1

Posted Fri 24 Jun 16 @ 2:48 am
BigDawgProductions wrote :
"......Plus some people don't like their phones knowing where they are or have been so they have turned location services off."

I'm one of them :) My location service is always fully turned off because my battery will lasts a day longer.

So I tried to use the ask the dj without the option to use geo and it works perfect. Just type in the browser: ask.the.dj
He could not find me or the venue, so I got a search bar to search the dj and / or venue. When I started to type, every possibility came up to select. The more you type, the fewer results are found.

In my case, I typed Ro (my name was royor) and I already could click royor from the found "active" dj's. Works perfect, so just let your crowd know which name they need and no need for geo location.

Posted Fri 24 Jun 16 @ 7:58 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
How does this work exactly? I set up the Venue name (example: ABC Club) of where I work. I click "Save" and it takes me back to a map of me in India and also for Venue name it has my forum Username. How do I get it to work using the venue name thus having people go to ask.the.dj type in "ABC Club"?

Posted Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 1:48 am
Your users can either:

* Go to ask.the.dj and let the geolocation find nearby DJs that are online
* Go to ask.the.dj and enter the venue name you've set up
* Go to ask.the.dj/venuename

Seems to be an issue with the setup webpage however, let me look into it.

Posted Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 10:04 am
Noticed last night the web page isn't working properly.

In the latest build, how do you change between the web interface or Twitter, I can't figure this out and I believe you now can't have both?

Posted Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 10:12 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Noticed last night the web page isn't working properly.

This should be fixed now :)

kradcliffe wrote :
In the latest build, how do you change between the web interface or Twitter, I can't figure this out and I believe you now can't have both?

Correct, presently it's either or. You can set your twitter hashtag in options.

Posted Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 1:29 pm
So if the Twitter hashtag is left blank it will revert to the web interface?

Still not very clear to the end user ......

Posted Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 5:30 pm
67%