Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: All saved data is missing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I logged in to Virtual DJ today and all hot cues, memos etc. are gone.

the songs themselves are still in the folders and files are safe. But as far as Virtual DJ is concerned, all songs are listed as new like it has never played them before with the green star symbol that signifies this.

There is more than a YEAR of work that i have put into song notes and Hot Cues, this can NOT happen to me or anybody else DJing, we put too much time into this

i need answers, and soon

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 12:21 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Are the songs on internal or portable hard drive?

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 1:23 am
portable or external drive yes

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 3:15 am
Do you have a "VirtualDj" folder on the root of that drive ?
If yes, what's the size of it ? (Right-click on it and select properties)

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 8:41 am
yes, 3.57 MB

Posted Mon 09 May 16 @ 7:14 pm
do i need to contact technical support, or is this all i got

Posted Thu 12 May 16 @ 1:10 am
I'd contact support but if you didn't make a backup of your database then I doubt theres much they can do for you.....

Posted Thu 12 May 16 @ 4:44 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
I'd contact support but if you didn't make a backup of your database then I doubt theres much they can do for you.....

my database isnt the the problem, all the songs are there

i need to know where the information is stored when you create hotcues in the software itself, if something was wrong with my database/hardrive, then EVERYTHING would be gone,

the only thing that is missing is the software specific information

also i would have to ask, do you specifically backup your stuff too, i'd imagine this has never happened to you

Posted Fri 13 May 16 @ 12:24 am
The database he is referring to is in your Virtual DJ Folder, If you are using VDJ8 or 8.1 it will read database xml. In Virtual DJ7 I believe it reads database V6. This contains among other things all your cue points. Have you made sure your file path is correct?

Posted Fri 13 May 16 @ 3:11 am
fallguy66 wrote :
The database he is referring to is in your Virtual DJ Folder, If you are using VDJ8 or 8.1 it will read database xml. In Virtual DJ7 I believe it reads database V6. This contains among other things all your cue points. Have you made sure your file path is correct?

so are you saying when it updated to 8.1 that the folders changed, because that would explain why it went away all at once .

still i need some help figuring it out where and what folder is called or named, technical support sucks, they just stopped talking to me altogether

Posted Thu 19 May 16 @ 1:41 am
If you are using a pc look for the Virtual DJ Folder under documents. Inside that folder you will see a bunch of folders and files. Look for database.xml. Right click on it and select properties. Look to see what size it is. Mine is 785mbs and I have about 9,000 files. This is where all your cues, play counts, comments and other information you are looking for are stored.

Posted Thu 19 May 16 @ 1:51 am
Sorry for the late reply.

3,57MB is definitely a very small size for the average database.

By the term "database" we don't mean your media files and folders.
For externals (like your case) we mean all the files inside "VirtualDj" folder on the root of the drive.
That's where VirtualDj stores all the infos regarding the media files of that drive.
Contradiction wrote :

so are you saying when it updated to 8.1 that the folders changed, because that would explain why it went away all at once .

If the issue occurred when you upgrade to version 8.1 then please notice:
On systems that have both VirtualDj 7 and VirtualDj 8 installed, version 8.1 has a feature that tries to detect which database on your system is newer.
So, if your VirtualDj 7 database is at least one month newer than your VirtualDj 8 database, it ASKS you if you want to convert again your VirtualDj 7 database to VirtualDj 8 format. In that case the previous VirtualDj 8 database gets deleted and replaced by the newly V7 converted database.
I don't know if anything of these applies to you.
fallguy66 wrote :
The database he is referring to is in your Virtual DJ Folder, If you are using VDJ8 or 8.1 it will read database xml. In Virtual DJ7 I believe it reads database V6.

For external drives (e.g. F:) VirtualDj 7 used F:\VirtualDj Local Database v6.xml
VirtualDj 8 uses F:\VirtualDj\database.xml

fallguy66 wrote :
If you are using a pc look for the Virtual DJ Folder under documents. Inside that folder you will see a bunch of folders and files. Look for database.xml. Right click on it and select properties. Look to see what size it is. Mine is 785mbs and I have about 9,000 files. This is where all your cues, play counts, comments and other information you are looking for are stored.

This is for media files stored on the internal drive. OP uses an external.
BTW: Most likely you forgot a decimal. 785MB is way too much even for one of the biggest music collections in the world.
Mine is 47MB and it holds well formed info of 52.500 files

Posted Thu 19 May 16 @ 7:10 am
Your are right. I did forget that decimal. I should have written 7.44!!!

Posted Thu 19 May 16 @ 10:07 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Sorry for the late reply.

3,57MB is definitely a very small size for the average database.

By the term "database" we don't mean your media files and folders.
For externals (like your case) we mean all the files inside "VirtualDj" folder on the root of the drive.
That's where VirtualDj stores all the infos regarding the media files of that drive.
Contradiction wrote :

If the issue occurred when you upgrade to version 8.1 then please notice:
On systems that have both VirtualDj 7 and VirtualDj 8 installed, version 8.1 has a feature that tries to detect which database on your system is newer.
So, if your VirtualDj 7 database is at least one month newer than your VirtualDj 8 database, it ASKS you if you want to convert again your VirtualDj 7 database to VirtualDj 8 format. In that case the previous VirtualDj 8 database gets deleted and replaced by the newly V7 converted database.
I don't know if anything of these applies to you.
fallguy66 wrote :
The database he is referring to is in your Virtual DJ Folder, If you are using VDJ8 or 8.1 it will read database xml. In Virtual DJ7 I believe it reads database V6.

For external drives (e.g. F:) VirtualDj 7 used F:\VirtualDj Local Database v6.xml
VirtualDj 8 uses F:\VirtualDj\database.xml

fallguy66 wrote :

This is for media files stored on the internal drive. OP uses an external.
BTW: Most likely you forgot a decimal. 785MB is way too much even for one of the biggest music collections in the world.
Mine is 47MB and it holds well formed info of 52.500 files

ok so i found my database .xml file and i can see in the code that the information of past songs are still there, so how do i make it show back up on the songs in the program now, im releaved that they didnt delete itself

Posted Fri 20 May 16 @ 1:43 am
Please post EXACTLY what you've found...
(Location of the file, name of the file, size e.t.c.)

Posted Fri 20 May 16 @ 7:15 am
database.xml size 360kb i only have maybe 1000 songs or so

F:/VirtualDJ/database

Posted Fri 20 May 16 @ 9:20 am
wanangaHome userMember since 2018
my vitual dj has lost database

Posted Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 8:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)