Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: WARNING: Windows 10/nVidia Issue [SOLVED] - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

UPDATE:

A fix has been issued by Microsoft in the form of an operating system update KB3140743. If your Windows 10 build number is 10586.122 (or later) then you have the fix. You can check your OS Build by clicking the windows button, going to Settings, System and finally About. I would also recommend running the latest nVidia driver; Windows Update should take care of this for you if enabled. Please test fully before using live to ensure this resolves the issue for you.

An issue has been identified which can cause BSODs/spontaneous reboots. The issue appears to be caused by a recent Windows 10 upgrade in combination with certain nVidia systems.

The issue is not with VirtualDJ; it is affecting other applications too including games, 3D and benchmarking software.

What is known so far:

* Seems to have been introduced with the Threshold 2 update to Windows 10 in November 2015
* Only DX12 capable nVidia cards affected
* Older nVidia driver versions - for example 347.88 - seem unaffected (download here)

The only known fixes so far are to either roll back Windows 10 to an older build, or to roll back your nVidia driver to an older build. Once you have done so, you may have to disable Windows Update in order to stop the driver from updating again.

If you want more information then google 'dxgmms2.sys' and you'll come across links like this which can supply you with more information:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/895902/geforce-drivers/blue-screen-dxgmms2-sys/
http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?5893-dxgmms2-sys-BSOD-crash-with-Win10-and-nVidia-Drivers

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 11:24 am
This is EXACTLY the problem with allowing Windows 10 to update itself without users being able to stop it. I stated problems would come along like this month's and months ago and here it is.

Why anyone would use Windows 10 amazes me.

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 7:31 pm
Everyone wants the shiny new toy. I figured I would wait till the dust settles, because I can't afford to take such a big risk, and a learning curve. I don't know about most of you, but I am a working DJ, and if it isn't broke.........................

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 8:46 pm
Problem with Win 10 Rick is that on the consumer versions you can't defer the updates. So if MS screw something up (which they're pretty good at) it could render your gig machine unusable. That's a risk I'm not willing to take.

On 7 & 8.1 I have disabled automatic updates and have very stable machines.

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 9:00 pm
I have auto updates on 7 and 8.1, but it does not install 10, just the updates for 7 and 8. Are you saying that 10 is being installed, automatically?

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 9:50 pm
10 is now a recommended update, so yes, if you are on a previous version it will download and prompt for install automatically.

Apart from that 10 will install it's own updates if you are on a consumer (not business) version.

It's all gone to hell.

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 10:17 pm
I know it's recommended, but I don't check that box, and keep it moving. My home rig is 7, and laptop and Surface pro 3 are 8.1. I know that some are having success with 10, but as you say, changing your OS is a big risk. I will do it before the free period is up.

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 10:58 pm
I'm sticking with W7, Microsoft claim I can upgrade, but, Apple won't support it on my mid 2010 MBP only later 2013 models onwards (Bootcamped Mac).

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching to the Mac version. End of 2014 I upgraded to Yosemite which slowed my Mac to being almost unusable, El Capitan is a lot better. Got a few weeks to tinker about with it before the wedding season kicks in. Just upped the RAM from 4gb to 8gb, tried it 3 years ago and had 2 major crashes with a full dancefloor. The Apple geniuses claimed it was the Crucial memory, so, haven't used it since. Transferred all my playlists and looking good so far. Filter and Virtual Folders to do yet (External 2tb HD).

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 2:21 am
I have a dx12 card - 870M in an MSI gt70 dominator. What blue screens of death have you seen?

The blue screens I've had with windows 10 are WHEA_uncorrectable error, bad_pool_caller, WDF_violation, and kmode_exception_not_handled. With windows 8 and 8.1 I've had bad_pool_caller, which I still sometimes get when I close virtual dj and video games. I started with windows 8 then went to 8.1 - 10 - 7 - 8.1, and I am still using 8.1. Switching back to 8.1 (which came stock with my laptop) seems to have fixed the problems for now. It's been a few weeks with no blue screens, but they come....they always come...
It may be worth noting I changed my hard drive as well but it made no difference.

@ a man and his music - I was thinking the same thing about switching to 10. My friend has an asus rog (not sure on the exact model) and he told me windows 10 was running 100% with no problems. 8.1 was giving me tons of problems in addition to my laptop running slow, but switching from 8.1 to 10 was surprisingly worse. 8.1 had its own box of problems but it's weird how resorting the operating system a few times reverted the computer back to normal (crossing my fingers). ANYWAY, my friend has an nvidia 970M card in his laptop with no issues (this video card is also classified as a dx12). I think it comes down to the companies and how well they have updated their drivers with windows 10.

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 5:28 am
GianVJPRO InfinityMember since 2012
kradcliffe wrote :
10 is now a recommended update, so yes, if you are on a previous version it will download and prompt for install automatically.

Apart from that 10 will install it's own updates if you are on a consumer (not business) version.

It's all gone to hell.

Kradcliffe, If you're interested to stop forced update on Windows 10:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/26/windows-10-how-to-stop-forced-updates/#6cbc7bfb5d1f
or
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/features/how-to-disable-windows-10-automatic-updates-728049

Google it's your best friend ;-)

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 7:37 am
Limitations - For Windows 10 Home users there is no way to stop security updates. These are not delivered using the Windows Update Service.

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 9:50 am
@kradcliffe
can you tell me where you found this information of security updates not being delivered via windows update?
not heard this one myself.

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 10:15 am
It's in the Forbes article linked above.

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 10:51 am
thanks i see now

so if u have home u get updates no matter what

but if u have Professional or enterprise you can do something about it

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 11:23 am
Correct.

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 12:29 pm
I bought a alienware a month and a half ago with windows 10 on it and the BSOD was happening all the time until i juet rolled back to earlier nvidia driver...it solves the issue and i simply don't update it. As far as windows update goes there are solutions to stop auto update and very simple solutions too! Now for the nvidia driver,Nvidia and microsoft are responsible 100% for this. Directx12 has been a huge failure for windows so far... Bottom line: simply install an older driver until this issue is resolved....it will take a while though because they still have no idea what the hell is causing it.

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 5:30 pm
wickedmix wrote :
thanks i see now

so if u have home u get updates no matter what

but if u have Professional or enterprise you can do something about it

Go into my profile here and read on my blog about how to disable windows updates. Its very easy solution. The only bad thing is that you can't use a network cable. You'll still get notifications for the windows updates

Posted Mon 08 Feb 16 @ 5:32 pm
I have 3 ASUS ROG lappies running Windows 10 with NVIDIA Drivers & no issues so far. Knock on wood.

Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 @ 6:32 am
I just want to give my 0.2 experience on about this.

2/10/2016
This Machine is used for testing only. (Not my main rig. I have work coming. Can't afford to fool around with my WORKING GIG RIG)

ROG G73JW updated to Windows 10 (all updates. New/Fresh Install)
Nvidia GTX460M 361.75 driver

Put some videos in Autoplay, left it alone then.... baammm the famous dxgmms2.sys error BSOD came up.
It totally screwed up the system.

So beware guys.

After 1 day of screwing around, I re-installed Windows 10 from DVD (disabled Wi-FI and NIC Card). No updates to Windows 10.
Manually installed drivers.
The NVidia Video driver installed is 347.88.

Installed VDJ, enable Wi-FI just to enabled my VDJ version then turn it off.

Been running this thing with previous VIDEOS for testing and no BSOD.

===================================================================

Posted Thu 11 Feb 16 @ 9:01 pm
The magic.dj. i suggest simply installing an earlier driver for nvidia! Solves all issues!!

Posted Thu 11 Feb 16 @ 9:34 pm
29%