Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Support Pioneer XDJ-700 (Done) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Today the Pioneer XDJ-700 is available in the stores...
I was thinking about purchasing the XDJ-1000 for a while now, but it was too big for me. I want smaller than my current DDJ-SZ.

the XDJ-700 is a lot smaller and lightweight, so I really want to use those with VDJ8.1

Can the support team tell me if the XDJ-1000 is fully functional with all screen features, touch features etc? (Yes I saw the supported list in the Wiki, but it's a lot of money)

Hopefully the XDJ-700 will use the same software...

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 3:47 pm
The XDJ-1000 is fully operational/supported up to the point Pioneer wants it to operate with a PC (For instance the big scratchwaves are not accessible from a PC to use not even with Pioneer's own Rekordbox since it's a firmware limitation)

Other than that, for XDJ-700 we can't provide an ETA because we need to have a sample unit to work and test in order to support it.

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 3:59 pm
Thanks for your quick reply!

PhantomDeejay wrote :
"...XDJ-1000 is fully operational/supported up to the point Pioneer wants it to operate with a PC...."

That's enough for me :)

PhantomDeejay wrote :
"Other than that, for XDJ-700 we can't provide an ETA because we need to have a sample unit to work and test in order to support it."

I always respected "it's done when it's done" ;) so I won't ask for a ETA, because I know you guys will do everything to support as much as possible for all kind of brands.
I'm just to curious to wait to see what it can do and I'm afraid they are gonna be sold out quickly.

So I just ordered a XDJ-700 and will find out what it does :) Tomorrow I will know (and share ;) )

Posted Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 4:18 pm
Ehhmmm, can I use the XDJ-1000 mapper?
I have connected the XDJ-700, but there is (ofcourse) no mapper availble. I hoped to use the XDJ-1000 mapper until the 700 is there..

Is there an option to get the XDJ 1000 settings so I can use these (or copy these) for the XDJ-700 ?

PS: I did manage to get the play button to play on deck 1 LOL, but I don't want to figure out for days how to map buttons :(

Posted Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 7:15 pm
You've got mail (thumbs up icon here)

Posted Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 9:37 pm
With the help from PhantomDeejay I have 2 (nearly perfect) working Pioneer XDJ-700's with Virtual DJ 8.1 on my DJ booth.

BUT.... there are some things missing I would love to see on my screen while working with VDJ. Also there are a few options that are not the same as the XDJ-1000. So the XDJ-700 is not 100% functional yet.
A few things I would like to see improved are: browsing, song info, load prepare, and some other things but I don't know yet if that's a VDJ issue.

I tested with VDJ and with a stand alone usb stick with a Pioneer recordbox export... I shall test some more with pc, ethernet, with and without recordbox etc..
I'm also not 100% happy with the sound difference between playing from the USB stick and playing from VDJ, but more testing is needed to hear the difference (or not)..

I made a comparison image to show what I miss in my screen while browsing and looking at info about the song:

CLICK HERE FOR HIGH-RES PICTURE: http://imgur.com/JcomHG2

More tests and screens will follow in couple of days.. now I'm going to sleep...

If you want to see or ask something about this.. Be my guest and ask.

Posted Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 10:03 pm
I've been curious about these new units... How do you like the feel of them?

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 5:04 am
The differences you see on the browser are normal. All CDJ/XDJ models (even CDJ-2000NXS) are the same. They provide to the host (PC) LIMITED access on their screen.
That's a firmware/design limitation, and even Pioneer's own software (Rekordbox 4) can't access these areas and provide more / different info.
Same rule applies for the large "Scratch" waves, the beatmarkers, beatkeeper, e.t.c.

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 7:49 am
djoddity wrote :
I've been curious about these new units... How do you like the feel of them?

The units are great! Super lightweight and very small. Crystal clear 7" very fast responsive LCD touchscreen, same as XDJ-1000.
Everything is alright, but do not expect a high-end jogwheel like the DDJ-SX or DDJ-SZ, CDJ900 or CDJ2000 etc...
The jog-wheel is the only point of concern in my opinion. It's very plastic and less responsive, but it does the job well.

Why I chosen this unit:
+ it's very small (it's as small as my Pioneer DJM400 mixer)
+ lightweight
+ can be used stand-alone
+ can be used with smartphones
+ can be used with network database
+ can be used as midi controller
+ can be used as a backup for VDJ (if laptop crash, switch to usb stick (or smartphone or ipod or ?? in a half-second!)

With an USB stick, or recordbox or Virtual DJ, the unit is fast as hell. Did not try Se**to yet.

I bought this set because I'm having problems now and then to find a place to put my Pioneer DDJ-SZ controller in a (small) DJ booth in clubs.
This setup is going with me instead of the DDJ-SZ where space is a problem.

I was looking at the XDJ-1000 too, but the difference is:

+ has the standard professional jogwheel
+ has beatskip functionality on the touchscreen (not on XDJ-700)
+ has jogwheel sensitivity knob (also used for vinyl start / break. XDJ-700 only has the vinyl break function. This is a touchscreen button with predefined stop time you can't modify)

- XDJ-1000 is (much) bigger (like a CDJ900 or CDJ2000)
- more weight
- much more expensive!

I wanted a small setup, because my big controller is an issue sometimes. So with the XDJ-1000 I would not save space.. That and the price difference for the options I would not miss.. The XDJ-700 is my kind of controller at the moment..

Will test much more and other setups, but this is for now what I know.

My setup yesterday. 2x XDJ-700, DJM400 and Virtual DJ 8.1:

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 10:13 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
"......That's a firmware/design limitation......."

I'm going to test some other setups to find the differences.
At this moment I do miss one thing in the VDJ setup and that's "Song playing" is only visible on screen when I push and hold the "info link" button. The push and hold method is frustrating. It takes too long (a second, but that's too long if you want a quick look) and meanwhile all the other options are disabled at that moment....

When I'm in the browser modus, I see the "Song playing" when I keep the browser active in that specific folder on that particular song. Other than that I have to look at my laptop screen.

PS: Don't know where this come from, but I noticed yesterday that the browser keeps jumping to the first or last song in the active folder. Did not try this with my DDJ-SZ yet, but just to let you know...
I had a song marked, so I could load this one next, and suddenly the browser (on my notebook and also on the XDJ) jumps to the first song in that folder... I had to search again to find the song I wanted to load...
This keeps happening even when I don't touch anything. But again.. I will test if this is a XDJ bug or VDJ thing..

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 10:30 am
royvanmeel wrote :

PS: Don't know where this come from, but I noticed yesterday that the browser keeps jumping to the first or last song in the active folder.
I had a song marked, so I could load this one next, and suddenly the browser (on my notebook and also on the XDJ) jumps to the first song in that folder... I had to search again to find the song I wanted to load...
This keeps happening even when I don't touch anything.

This is a known bug on the XDJ-1000 firmware and as it seems it carried over to XDJ-700 as well.
We have tested the XDJ-1000 thoroughly on our lab and after a month of severe tests we have found this bug which also affects other aspects of the unit. We were even be able to duplicate the issue with Pioneer's own software (Rekordbox 4), proving that it's a firmware bug. This bug has nothing to do with VirtualDj. It's the HID packets send from the unit that cause random skips on all "slider" elements.
We have informed Pioneer about this bug since August but they didn't seem to bother fixing it yet.

Honestly though, it seems that Pioneer does not really want their XDJ series to be used as a MIDI / HID controllers. They mostly promote the stand alone operation of these units with files prepared with Rekordbox on a flash drive. Yes, all XDJ series have MIDI or HID abilities but either they are limited or buggy.

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 12:29 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
This is a known bug on the XDJ-1000 firmware and as it seems it carried over to XDJ-700 as well.

Thanks for your reply about this. "Glad" to read it's not VDJ 8.1 issue.

PhantomDeejay wrote :
"......it seems that Pioneer does not really want their XDJ series to be used as a MIDI / HID controllers."

That's because they want to sell you the pricerange of the DDJ-SX, SZ, RX and RZ controllers for MIDI / HID ;)

I really hope that Pioneer will bring some other firmware in the near future. It doesn't have to have more or all (pro)features, but access to waveform area's and "song playing" area should be standard in my opinion. For themselves and for 3rd party.

And for VDJ: I would like a split (seperate) browser for setups with seperate hardware controllers.
When I browse on my left controller, my right controller screen is just mirroring my left one... because I can't see (easily) which song is loaded / playing on a XDj deck.. I would like my browser to stay on the selected / loaded song.

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 12:44 pm
Does the bottom wave form act like the touch strip on the 2000s, letting you scrub through the track?

Posted Fri 27 Nov 15 @ 5:52 pm
On the xdj I can confirm it does

Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 2:23 pm
djoddity wrote :
Does the bottom wave form act like the touch strip on the 2000s, letting you scrub through the track?

Yep, this has the "needle search" function just as the 2000s

Posted Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 8:21 am
are there any news? i'm interested to buy one pair of xdj-700, but it seems that now is not working ok .... Editar

Posted Mon 04 Jan 16 @ 9:41 pm
Please read this whole post. At The moment this controller is not supported, so if you buy it, you are taking a big risk. This post tells you of the limitations, so please listen before you buy.

Posted Mon 04 Jan 16 @ 10:43 pm
XDJ-700 will be supported soon. However keep in mind that until Pioneer fixes a bug in the firmware we can't really recommend to use it for Professional gigs because you may experience issues such as browser jumping all over the place and occassional skips in the track's plying position (needle)

Posted Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 9:09 am
hi guys.. intresting post... can you provide me the temporary mapper? i see the procedure upper.. but i'm not so good.. ;-)
i've already link xdj to pc.. i can see them but vdj doesn't have the mapper for use it.. thank you for the help.. ;-)

Posted Fri 15 Jan 16 @ 9:26 pm
I hope you get the (test)mapper too. It does work for 90% for the XDJ700.

It was just a test, so don't expect a fully functional mapper for XDJ700

Posted Mon 18 Jan 16 @ 8:56 am
38%