Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Do I really need a DJ controller?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi everyone

I'm relatively new to DJ'ing, I've been doing small parties for family and friends for less than a year. I run VDJ 8 Pro on my laptop, I have a good Yamaha mixer and a pre-sonus Audiobox USB external sound card. I connect the pre-sonus to the usb port of the laptop and its outputs to one of the mixer's input channels. I'm thinking about improving my audio interface from the pre-sonus to something with more output channels. From what I read, my options are to buy a DJ controller with built in audio interface or a different sound card.
I can't help but think that a DJ controller is redundant since I have the mixer. Any suggestions ??

Posted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 1:46 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Your mixer probably doesn't have controls for the decks though.
If you are fine doing this with keyboard and mouse, then of course you don't need it, but typically start/stop, cueing a song with a jog wheel, pitch-bending, dedicated controls for loops and effects, ... can make it easier to control the decks and get feedback on what is going on.

Posted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 1:54 pm
Thanks for your input. Yes, I do everything - loading tracks, beatmatching etc.. with my mouse. I would certainly appreciate an easier way to spin my tunes.

I think I'll start looking for a decent controller with an equally decent audio interface. Gemini G4V-4 or Hercules. Any particular suggestions in the $300 to $400 price range ?

Thanks again.

Posted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 2:08 pm
They are decent controllers, but also take a look at Pioneer, Numark and Denon. Try to touch these controllers before you buy, to get a feel of what they do and how you perform on them.

Posted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 3:11 pm
My advice would be to ditch the mouse and get a controller, at least you will feel a bit more like a DJ.

Posted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 10:05 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
..and look a little more like a dj.

Posted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 11:10 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Charlie Wilson wrote :
to ditch the mouse and get a controller,

Well said however you will still need a mouse to activate certain parts e.g the smart buttons unless you're using a touch screen.
That's why I am waiting for a controller with VDJ8 default skin .. yes with smart buttons too.

Posted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 11:40 pm
What hasn't been mentioned is that with a mouse you can only do one operation at a time.

With a controller you can do several things at the same time.

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 6:40 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
DJSoulman wrote :
What hasn't been mentioned is that with a mouse you can only do one operation at a time.

With a controller you can do several things at the same time.

Even that is possible with some script actions.
But it is not comfortable at all, and I agree 100%.
That was the main reason I bought a controller really soon after starting playing around with VDJ.

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 11:51 am
The idea of mixing with a controller vs keyboard and mouse is making me feel less of a geek and more cool by the minute. I have begun my search for a good controller.
ohshit is there anything in the works on the controller with VDJ8 skin ?

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 12:10 pm
ohshit wrote :

That's why I am waiting for a controller with VDJ8 default skin .. yes with smart buttons too.

Are you saying you are waiting for a dedicated VDJ Controller? because they do not do them.

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 8:04 pm
The decision is always going to be what you feel comfortable using that allows you to perform at the highest level. That being said it might be your current setup, maybe a controller, but also consider a multi-touch screen. I have been using a multi-touch screen for a few years and it fits my needs perfectly. I do have a keyboard and mouse as a backup. But my setup might not work for you. Try different ones out, then make the decision.

Posted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 2:51 am
Have you looked at the AKAI AMX and AFX, a good cheap entry point for controllers?

Posted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 12:35 pm
kamakuakane, you use the touchscreen in lieu of a DJ controller and control the VDJ screen with your fingers?

If that's the case I assume that you have a separate sound card and mixer.

Posted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 2:14 pm
fatalfunk, I will take a look a the the AKAI controllers and get a feel of it's components quality etc.. The online review make no mention that they support VDJ, only Serato, but I will confirm.
Thanks for the suggestion, right now i'm in search mode and all suggestions are appreciated.

Posted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 2:22 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
fatalfunk wrote :
Have you looked at the AKAI AMX and AFX, a good cheap entry point for controllers?

1 AMX and 2 AFX is about 500 Euros here.
Not that cheap...

Good controllers in that price range are
Hercules RMX1/2, 4-MX
American Audio VMS 2 or 4.1
Pioneer DDJ-SR (or SB)
Vestax VCI 400
Vestax VCI 380
Denon MC 6000 (MKII), MC3000

Posted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 10:32 am
After much research, today I ordered the Pioneer DDJ-SR.

Glad to see that it's included in your list, PachN.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments.

Posted Sat 05 Sep 15 @ 1:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)