Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video DJ making the transition from 7 to 8..questions - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

i was really eager to switch to v8 when it came out due to the sound quality improvement but i got shy when i noticed that there were some stability issues and the kind of plugins i needed were not available yet...

so i decided to wait it out a few months until V8 had all the features and stability i need

im wondering how is everything getting on now?

my needs are as follows:
im a weekly resident VJ and i like to play custom made clips in the background when my file is audio only (normally im using essential media for this)

and apart from that i like to display logos and scrolling text on the screen (normally i use essential visuals for this)

i see there are other options now to achieve the same result but im not familiar with them...
anyone been through this change and able to talk to me about it?

thanks

Posted Tue 28 Jul 15 @ 8:35 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
You can link audioOnly files with a video file by draging the video file onto the preview window. (just like in 7).

For scrolltext and logo etc. I'm using www.tellyvisuals.com

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 3:49 am
thanks

how about stability?

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 5:01 am
To be honest, yes there are some minor bugs. But nothing that should stop you from using V8 live.

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 5:49 am
I'm an all video DJ, three nights a week resident and mobile. I am a PC user, and have been using version 8 since it was beta, and I have had one crash and think it was something that I did. I use the video sampler, tellyvisuals, tellymedia, milkdrops, and slideshow. I never have a blank screen. The only way to tell if it's stable, is to try it out for yourself. Just because someone else is having an issue, does not mean you will.

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 10:10 am
You can have both installed and they don't interfere with each other so you can try 8 out in your own time.

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 10:19 am
what about the database file? can i use the same database file for both? or will that screw everything up

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 11:41 am
From the point you install 8 it creates a separate database for version 8 so you won't screw anything up in 7.

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 11:54 am
... And converts your existing v7 database to a new v8 database.
That means all your cue points, playcounts etc. are transfered too.
Even your virtual and filter folders are transfered.

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 2:42 pm
problem is, i installed ages ago, so now, the v8 database is old

i have advanced a lot with the v7 database since then

how do it update it? do i have to do a fresh install? or is a simple file rename sufficient?

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 2:56 pm
Just delete database.xml from my documents > virtualdj and a new V8 one will be created based on your current V7 database

Posted Wed 29 Jul 15 @ 3:11 pm
You also have to delete all other database.xml on any other drive you have stored music files on.
You will find it in the virtualdj folder on the drives.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 15 @ 5:01 am
ok guys, thanks! im nearly there

now...maybe this is obvious, but where are the video effects gone? there used to be a tab where i could select "browser" "video effects" "audio effects" "record"

where did they put this in V8?

Posted Thu 30 Jul 15 @ 3:29 pm
and one final question... how do i set a specific video effect to be used to play background visuals when there is just an audio file playing.?

without having to individually link videos to every song.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 15 @ 3:38 pm
For audio tracks, look at config, options, select advance, and go to video. Audioonlyvisualisations, select which one you like. For effects, each player has it's own effects (look at the players pull down), and there are also master effects (look at the mixer, under master). Also take some time to read the manual.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 15 @ 5:15 pm
well i switched over to v8 for my first gig last friday

one hour into the set the program hung on me in ......i had a band coming on next, but they were going to interview the singer before he went on stage..they had to skip the interview and start playing straight away.

in 5 years of weekly residence, V7 has never hung (touch wood)

unfortunatly i think i will have to stick with the old reliable V7 for the moment

Posted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 8:36 am
Matty1000 wrote :
well i switched over to v8 for my first gig last friday

one hour into the set the program hung on me in ......i had a band coming on next, but they were going to interview the singer before he went on stage..they had to skip the interview and start playing straight away.

in 5 years of weekly residence, V7 has never hung (touch wood)

unfortunatly i think i will have to stick with the old reliable V7 for the moment

Comments like this is always scary and what we all fear the most during our gigs.
I think such hang-ups should be tried to be investigated as much as possible, to make everything we can to figure out what happened and fix the issue.

In what state did it hang? During loading a track ? All details and observations are valueable.
Do you have Content Unlimited?
Did his crash generate a report? Was the computer on-line during the crash?
Could you mention something about your setup, what build of VDJ8, midi controllers connected and so on.

At least I would be very interested to know about this and your bad experience of V8!

Posted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 2:16 pm
i believed it happened in the middle of doing a search for a song
the graphic interface froze but the music continued to play until the end of the song
i keep my wifi deactivated on the laptop while DJing because of conflict with my soundcard so it was definitly offline
one thing i do is use the video feature. in this case i was using the plugins "telly media" with "telly visuals" on top of it. that is all

windows 7
Toshiba i7 -2670QM 2.20GHZ

i did not see any message or report... it just had the "egg timer" curser and i had to use task manager to terminate it , giving the time restrictions, because it did not look like it was going anywhere

Posted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 2:51 pm
I know the VDJ store a crashdump somewhere.
I hope PachN or staff could assist me in where you will find it and let them sort out what made it crash.

Posted Wed 05 Aug 15 @ 1:02 am
If VDJ just hung up there is no crashreport written I believe.
It only does so if VDJ goes down and comes up again.

I have the feeling that lately the amount of users reporting a freeze slightly increased.
But as MrJackson said, it is very hard to track down such a freeze, because of the lack of informations given / submitted.
Hopefully, if it is really a VDJ bug, the Dev Team will be able to find it.

Posted Wed 05 Aug 15 @ 3:43 am
83%