Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mixing with headphones only - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

ThelemaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
But is it possible to pre-listen while mixing just with your headphones (for a situation where you're mixing at home and can't be loud)?

Posted Wed 10 Jun 15 @ 7:19 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
please read VirtualDJ manual
http://www.virtualdj.com/images/pdf/VirtualDJ8_User_Guide.pdf
Pages 90 and further

and in case i missunderstood your question, you can unplug your speakers (or mute them) and turn the Headphones MIX dial (from the MASTER center panel of the defautl skins) to the maximum (right position). This will route the Master Output to your Headphones.

Posted Wed 10 Jun 15 @ 7:27 pm
What I'm trying to do is simply to mix entirely using headphones so as to avoid loud noises, and still be able to pre-listen (as opposed to mixing with speakers and using headphones to pre-listen only). Does the method you described allow me to do this?

Posted Wed 10 Jun 15 @ 7:42 pm
other way is in audio ouput option,
split the audio out, to left- master, right-headphones, so when you connect your headphones on the laptop you , ll hear boyh channels, depending on your mix,
(if ypu are just using the laptop, no controller

Posted Wed 10 Jun 15 @ 8:45 pm
NelumbLE userMember since 2013
Yes, you can do it as djdad commented. But maybe you need to re-map your controller to use the headphones mix with the desired fader of your controller instead of the pre-listen function.

You can use your mouse and select it in the skin if you want anyway.

Posted Thu 11 Jun 15 @ 4:50 am
GKAudiO DJ wrote :
other way is in audio ouput option,
split the audio out, to left- master, right-headphones, so when you connect your headphones on the laptop you , ll hear boyh channels, depending on your mix,
(if ypu are just using the laptop, no controller

I'm using a Mixtrack Pro II.

Posted Thu 11 Jun 15 @ 5:58 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
You need to use the HEADPHONES MIX knob
Use the one from the skin (in the MASTER panel) or assign a knob on your controller as headphone_mix
If the knob is all the way to the right (maximum), the Master Output will go through your headphones.
If all the way to the left, you will pre-listen to whatever deck is selected with the PFL/CUE buttons.

You can also assign a custom/keyboard/controller button as .. setting 'splitHeadphones'
when enabled, you will get the Master Output on one side of yoru Headphones and the PFL decks on the other one.

Posted Thu 11 Jun 15 @ 6:40 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
The mixtrack pro 2 already has a cue mix knob.

Posted Thu 11 Jun 15 @ 7:44 pm
I'm not sure what's going on with the cue knob, though. On the mappers it's set to "headphone_mix", but moving the knob around doesn't do anything. Any clues as to what might be going on?

Posted Thu 11 Jun 15 @ 9:24 pm
By any chance did you click one of the PFL buttons with your mouse?
I know that will change how the cue buttons act. Try it after a fresh boot and see it the cue buttons move the cue side of your mix.

Posted Thu 11 Jun 15 @ 10:51 pm
Although I have my Cue Leds set to "pfl" on the mappers, and even though they light up on my Mixtrack Pro 2 when I press them, the PFL icons on VDJ show no change. I can only activate each PFL by clicking on the icons.

Edit: I just noticed that the CUE_Gain knob on my controller is the one controlling the cue_mix knob on VDJ. Still, when I press the PFL button on a given deck and turn the knob all the way to the left so I can pre-listen, I still hear it on my overall mix (I recorded a clip). Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Posted Fri 12 Jun 15 @ 2:27 pm
Keep in mind that up faders are full up when VDJ starts, even if you have them down on the controller.
I'll have to pull out my mixtrack pro when I get home. I'm pretty sure the mappers are the same for that section.

Posted Fri 12 Jun 15 @ 3:11 pm
I always make sure all the faders and knobs are 'manipulated' before mixing. My current situation is at follows:

1) PFL icons aren't affected by me pressing the CUE leds on my controller;
2) Turning the cue_mix knob all the way to the left is currently the same as not touching it at all, if I turn the fader up on the track I'm trying to pre-listen (PFL light turned on for that deck), I still hear it in the mix. Maybe the sound configurations are wrong in the settings?

Posted Fri 12 Jun 15 @ 3:44 pm
I just tested with Build 2325 of VDj8
PFL, cue gain, and cue mix are working properly with the default mapper
PFL is mapped to select
Cue_gain is mapped to headphone_volume
Cue_mix is mapped to headphone_mix

Posted Fri 12 Jun 15 @ 7:45 pm
I'm using 7.4.1 at the moment.

Posted Sat 13 Jun 15 @ 9:01 pm
I'm not sure if your version came with your controller, but the most recent version of 7 is 7.4.4
7.4.5 is due to be released tomorrow.
If you register your serial number you should have access to the most recent version. I highly recommend going to version 8 myself. It works without issue with my mixtrack.
Did you check your mapping?
Also, can you post a screenshot of your sound settings?

Posted Sun 14 Jun 15 @ 1:16 am
My sound settings as they are right now:

I reinstalled VDJ to see if it did anything different, so I don't remember what sound settings I had before (the same, I think). For some reason, mappings remain the same, and both CUE leds do nothing, along with the Cue Mix (although Cue Volume changes cue mix knob, but with no effect whatsoever when recording). I have been using a mapping file for my Mixtrack Pro 2 because it wasn't being recognized at first, and I don't remember where I first found that file. It's possible that the mappings on this file are messed up.

Here's the mapping file in question: http://www86.zippyshare.com/v/YHE3HnRj/file.html

Posted Tue 16 Jun 15 @ 2:55 pm
There is the issue. You don't have the sound mapped properly. I would also use the default mapper, it is a natively supported device.
I also don't see the Mixtrack as an option. Did you have it plugged in when you did the screen shot?

Have a look here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/MixTrack%20Pro.html

The home version will only work for a limited time with the controller. You will need the LE or Pro version for VDJ7. VDJ8 has a single controller version and two Pro options, a subscription based and a full purchase. If you have an LE serial number, then you should enter it in your profile to be able to get the latest updates.

Posted Tue 16 Jun 15 @ 4:56 pm
hi pals am glad to enter the deejay family. am new in the site and i would like to hear from you. i like to explore for my growth as a dj. am gavin washingtone.

Posted Tue 16 Jun 15 @ 5:20 pm
blckjck wrote :
Did you have it plugged in when you did the screen shot?

Have a look here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/MixTrack%20Pro.html

With my controller plugged in, one of the sound card options is Speakers (3 - Mixtrack Pro II) [Simple], but I also have the option of selecting Numark instead of Simple. How do these sound settings affect the mapping, though? Because even when I change the mapping for CUE_MIX to have it in the way you see in the attached file, the CUE MIX knob still does nothing, and the CUE GAIN knob controls the CUE knob on VDJ.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 4:44 pm
67%