Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [OFFICIAL] ContentUnlimited Audio [SOLVED: download v7.4.6 or v8.0.2338] - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

As many of you already know, we are currently changing the structure of our ContentUnlimited and NetSearch features.
On one hand, we are refocusing our core ContentUnlimited catalogs, to provide only high-quality catalogs of tracks that have been each manually verified, and cover all the usual needs of a working professional DJ.
And in parallel, we are both broadening our NetSearch tool, and refining its filtering systems, to ensure that it can answer any requests you might get for oldies, foreign songs, or unknown remixes, while at the same time making sure you don’t spend too much time filtering through the results.

In order to provide the best service, and following the sudden and unexpected shut down of Grooveshark, we took one full month to find the best partners and licensing deals for the future.
So, during the full month of May, we didn’t charge anyone for ContentUnlimited Audio (while still delivering the NetSearch service uninterrupted).
Now everything is in place, and we’re in the final stage of testing the new features and will roll them out quickly.

For the sake of transparency, here’s more details on the licensing deals:
The major music labels are currently in the process of changing the landscape of the music streaming business, and the licensing deals changed quite a bit since last year.
First, there is a distinction between private and public use of the sound recordings.
All the usual music streaming services, such as Spotify, Deezer, rdio, Pandora, etc, are licensed only for private use. Meaning using such a service for a professional DJ would be illegal in the first place anyway.
Second, there is a distinction between straight streaming, and “mechanical copy”.
If you need to buffer a track in memory, to be able to pitch, scratch, cue, or loop it (instead of just playing uninterrupted from the very beginning to the very end without any control or modification), it is considered to be a mechanical copy.
All the above music streaming services are also not licensed for mechanical copy rights.
Of course, as a professional software for professional DJs, we had to get a licensing deal with both public use and mechanical copy rights.
So all our ContentUnlimited catalogs (Audio, Karaoke and Video), only contain tracks that are fully compliant with this.
(note: the right of public use from the sound recording copyright that we are talking about here is not the same as the right of public performance from the master work copyright, for which your venue still needs to pay fees to ASCAP/BMI/SESAC)

Posted Sun 31 May 15 @ 8:20 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Very nice, that couldn't have been easy.

Posted Sun 31 May 15 @ 8:31 am
i'm primarily a rock country blues metal internet radio dj illl soon be switching over to virtual dj permanently (i hate sam broadcaster) i can see you guys are working hard on this issue and will start my subscription when you get it sorted i used atomix back in the day and look forward to implementing virtual dj for broadcasting

Posted Sun 31 May 15 @ 8:39 am
I still like the Atomix style just as with the release of VDJ 8. Not trying to make a quick (dirty) fix, but release it when it's ready.
I hope European/Dutch music and Dutch legal rights will be in the catalogs too. It sounds good that you have looked for the legal ways, especially the mechanical copy rights, because I believe we all want to alter the songs/video's etc. with at least pitching possibilities.

I say thumbs up!

Posted Mon 01 Jun 15 @ 2:40 am
djbaum81PRO SubscriberMember since 2012
ETA on the release?

Posted Mon 01 Jun 15 @ 2:18 pm
Who did you decide on for the audio portion, or are you still working that out?

Posted Mon 01 Jun 15 @ 4:45 pm
1. Should we expect to be charged for CU this month?
2. When precisely can we expect the new NetSearch/CU results to appear? Is another update required to the software?

Posted Mon 01 Jun 15 @ 7:19 pm
Well done, devs.

Posted Tue 02 Jun 15 @ 9:22 am
We were hoping to have a new build working with the new catalog yesterday, unfortunately (or fortunately) the initial catalog on which we have all the correct rights got extended and the access changed, so we're waiting for the new content to be uploaded.
Hopefully, by tomorrow everything should be set up and new builds available.

Posted Tue 02 Jun 15 @ 11:19 am
djbaum81PRO SubscriberMember since 2012
The already cached music will still work with the upcoming new update right?

Posted Tue 02 Jun 15 @ 12:35 pm
Uh. It's gonna be an interesting day tomorrow. then :)

Posted Tue 02 Jun 15 @ 1:31 pm
zellerball wrote :
The already cached music will still work with the upcoming new update right?

yes

Posted Tue 02 Jun 15 @ 1:39 pm
Sounds like it will be working soon.
Now to the inconsiderate person about me building my library and using this service.
1. I don't charge for my service
2. I do it for schools who can not afford a DJ that will play APPROPRIATE music.
3. I do it for special needs kids b/c they are just as important. If you could see the smiles on their faces it would break you for sure big bad DJ guy.
4. I do this for fun with my kids
5. I do consider it a business b/c any donations I would get I still file.
6. Nothing is stolen.

So put that in your crack pipe and smoke it.
Thanks to everyone else for their support.

Posted Tue 02 Jun 15 @ 1:43 pm
You're still breaking the terms of the EULA for the VirtualDJ software though ......

The default "Home" free license gives you the right to install the software on your private computer and use it for personal use only.

Posted Tue 02 Jun 15 @ 1:51 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
You're still breaking the terms of the EULA for the VirtualDJ software though ......
The default "Home" free license gives you the right to install the software on your private computer and use it for personal use only.

actually the EULA says you can use home as long as you don't get paid, so it would be ok to use Home.
(but of course to use ContentUnlimited you still need to pay the 9.99/month, which is fair since the artists need to be paid if you play their tracks)

Posted Tue 02 Jun 15 @ 8:00 pm
i have been charged for the music subscription today 3.6.15. Is this correct? Just checking encase its not right. its the first payment since the shutdown... well done for getting things moving sounds promising

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 9:25 am
I'm happy for you guys that everything will be solved for you soon. VDJ did a great and fast job to replace grooveshark. As I buy a bit on Itunes, but most on vinyl, contentunlimited is not for me.
But my hope still lives: can we also get Spotify integration? I now I can not use it for public performance, but it's a great tool to discover new music. And so I can try and practice with new songs, i have to buy afterwards. As the software DJ pro also does.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 10:32 am
alex3ffPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Do you believe that subscriptions will be (re)allowed soon after the new service is in place? I.e. before this weekend? (got a gig coming up that I could really use ContentUnlimited for)

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 12:00 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
Who did you decide on for the audio portion, or are you still working that out?

X2 - With the new catalogue it seems like it will be mostly modern pop is that right?

djstevedk wrote :
i have been charged for the music subscription today 3.6.15. Is this correct? Just checking encase its not right. its the first payment since the shutdown... well done for getting things moving sounds promising

I have also been charged so I assume we are good to go.

Warakurna wrote :
I'm happy for you guys that everything will be solved for you soon. VDJ did a great and fast job to replace grooveshark. As I buy a bit on Itunes, but most on vinyl, contentunlimited is not for me.
But my hope still lives: can we also get Spotify integration? I know I can not use it for public performance, but it's a great tool to discover new music. And so I can try and practice with new songs, i have to buy afterwards. As the software DJ pro also does.

I would think integrating Spotify would make it too easy for people to break rules and I would not be even considering this if I was the Dev Team.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 12:53 pm
Content Unlimited has earned me many a free pint in a "I bet I can play anything ever commercially released" challenge in my local pub which I do weekly. So to be honest, the new service has big boots to fill. Can't wait to try it out. Also exceptionally handy for Weddings etc. Especially now I just trimmed my working collection from 11,000 tracks to 1300.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 1:08 pm
8%