Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Files showing twice in the browser

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Many of the tracks that I add to my drive are appearing twice in the browser, when I scan one file the duplicate entry also shows that it's scanning.

This only seems to be occuring with my external HD (where I store the bulk of my music).

Using the very latest build and actually this has been happening with many of the previous builds as far as I can remember.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 10:43 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Is it possible that your files are on both your internal and your external?
I ask because I have my entire library on my internal. I also have a backup of it, with the VDJ library, on an external. When I plug the external in, while using VDJ, I get duplicates.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 10:53 am

No the files aren't in two locations, and I'm actually just 'recursing' my entire DJ media folder. I'm wondering if the drive itself is causing some confusion if it has it's own back-up software/facility installed.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 11:12 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Possibly, or maybe you have the showM3UAsFolders option on.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 11:15 am
If you right click on each duplicate track and show the file in explorer, do the show up in the same folder path?

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 11:16 am

showM3UAsFolders is off, the files are showing as the exact same location.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 11:51 am
I know that backup programs can sometimes create a very similar path, that's why I was having you look at every part of the full path.
I do not know if cleaning the database will remove duplicates, I think it only removes missing files.
If you don't have a ton of que points and stuff, I would back up your database and try recreating it. I would save your virtual folders and stuff as playlists so that you can rebuild them if needed.

There are ways to remove duplicates from the text file that is the database. But that can be time consuming and error prone for people that are not familiar with it. Which is another good reason to back it all up.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 12:02 pm
Same drive different laptop (gig machine) at there's not a single duplicate, home machine is full of them.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 1:00 pm
Okay
With the external not plugged in. Fire up VDJ on the desktop. Does it show files that shouldn't be there?
EDIT: Clean the database WITHOUT the drive it plugged in.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 1:10 pm

I know where you're going with that, cheers will test tonight.

Posted Thu 07 May 15 @ 1:23 pm
Thanks blckjck this solution worked for me :)

Posted Sat 09 May 15 @ 6:04 pm
Excellent!

Posted Sun 10 May 15 @ 4:15 am

I'm still convinced that this is a bug, as everytime I open VDJ8 I have this same issue and I'm only recursing the contents of one folder on one drive, so I'm not sure why the file browser is showing ghost/duplicate files, even if the database is confused about previous locations it should only be showing files present on the external drive.

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 11:14 am
Check the paths on a pair of duplicate files in the tag editor.

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 11:24 am
The file paths are exactly the same.

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 11:38 am
When you said the solution worked, was everything entered once?
If so, what happened after that?

I would make backups of your databases and folder. Then I would erase them and start over. If you have a lot of virtual folders then I would make playlists of them so they are backed up.

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 5:22 pm

Ok I've finally solved this, and it appears it may be a bug on some level.

I had my "DJ media" folder set as a favorite folder, within the folder there are numerous folders and sub folders (at least 100), there were no duplicate files but most of my newly added music was appearing twice in the browser. After removing the "DJ media" folder from my favorites list and instead favoriting a folder with less sub folders the issue went away instantly.

Perhaps having a favorite folder with too many files and/or folders is the cause of the issue.

Posted Thu 28 May 15 @ 6:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)